SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY - ACCOUNTS AND FFP THREAD

He had a go, the losses over the last two seasons are about what we spent on transfer fees over that period. For the time I've followed Wednesday and long before fans have called for this type of investment you can call him on his knowledge of the game and his choice of advisors but not his ambition and commitment 

I hope he can find a way round this learn a few lessons then go again. A few sales this summer the release of most if not all the out of contract players and continued use of young players including hopefully hirst and clare and we could with a few loans end up with a better balanced more dynamic squad 

It isn't great news obviously but it need not be the end of the world providing of course we stay up 

1 minute ago, jamiejohn said:

He had a go, the losses over the last two seasons are about what we spent on transfer fees over that period. For the time I've followed Wednesday and long before fans have called for this type of investment you can call him on his knowledge of the game and his choice of advisors but not his ambition and commitment 

I hope he can find a way round this learn a few lessons then go again. A few sales this summer the release of most if not all the out of contract players and continued use of young players including hopefully hirst and clare and we could with a few loans end up with a better balanced more dynamic squad 

It isn't great news obviously but it need not be the end of the world providing of course we stay up 

Good post that mate

Owlstalk Shop

20 minutes ago, Wakefield owl said:

I am just trying to be helpful. Can anyone tell me why we never sell any players (apart from the obvious not good enough).

No problem with you questioning my statement and my information could be inaccurate but I pretty confident it is not.

Ok let's take it up a notch can you provide evidence of your claim?

• Like 1

I honestly think next season will be our year.

Looking at all the different elements we have to bring into the equation - good experienced pro's, younger players who are chomping at the bit to get involved in 1st team action and hopefully being backed by a coach/manager that will have them fighting fit, pulling in the same direction.

How the club spends it's money isn't anything we as fans wil ever control, influence or even have any kind of major say in. What I think is evident is that we have a chairman who is still learning about the business side of football and has brought us a long way in just under 3 years.

I don't envy the position of any chairmen/women up and down the country given the absolute parasites that suck cash out of the game for doing the square root of naff all, I just wish DC had the benefit of having 3 years in the game before taking the reigns at SWFC.

• Like 2

Genuinely expected worse.

DC has put his money where his mouth is and had a go. The advice he's had has clearly been shocking. Particularly in the transfer market. It's cost him/us promotion. 

I think it's been obvious for a while, it's rebuilding time. A clear out in the summer and an emphasis on "smart" signings (young hungry with resale value, loans) and bringing through our youth players. Hopefully that will include Clare, Hirst and Penney.

Lower expectations and less pressure next season for a younger, hungrier, fitter team. Hopefully still in the championship.

4 minutes ago, WatfordOwl said:

I don't envy the position of any chairmen/women up and down the country given the absolute parasites that suck cash out of the game for doing the square root of naff all, I just wish DC had the benefit of having 3 years in the game before taking the reigns at SWFC.

Amen

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Lower expectations and less pressure next season for a younger, hungrier, fitter team. Hopefully still in the championship.

Agree, this needs to be the way to go. But for lower expectations, we'd have to see an alteration to the current pricing structure. Fans having to pay premium prices is all well and good, but they'll want a premium product sooner rather than later

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

Agree, this needs to be the way to go. But for lower expectations, we'd have to see an alteration to the current pricing structure. Fans having to pay premium prices is all well and good, but they'll want a premium product sooner rather than later

That's the other thing

Fans voted for the same price tickets and continued high spending in the recent vote

Owlstalk Shop

26 minutes ago, jamiejohn said:

Absolutely.

I just hope he stays as committed and is prepared to accept and learn from his mistakes.

21 minutes ago, Watson said:

Ok let's take it up a notch can you provide evidence of your claim?

Sorry I don't want to go down that road again. I've been accused recently of trying to make out I'm itk. Maybe I am/was but I just try to correct misinformation or add to a discussion which is what I tried to do with regard to not selling players. I'm sure I've given you enough to make your own judgement.

36 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Genuinely expected worse.

DC has put his money where his mouth is and had a go. The advice he's had has clearly been shocking. Particularly in the transfer market. It's cost him/us promotion. 

I think it's been obvious for a while, it's rebuilding time. A clear out in the summer and an emphasis on "smart" signings (young hungry with resale value, loans) and bringing through our youth players. Hopefully that will include Clare, Hirst and Penney.

Let's hope these hungrier younger players are of Championship pedigree and not what Charlton brought in under our CEO from Belgium and Dutch leagues mainly and before anyone says pelupessey, the jury is still out there 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That's the other thing

Fans voted for the same price tickets and continued high spending in the recent vote

According to the club. Do we know this to be factual, or could it be the figures have been massaged to give the club an excuse to keep the ticket prices high ? 

The idea that DC will let the club go under is nonsense...what I hope he'll do is what I wanted when he took over and that is put the infrastructure together for the long term. He can start with the medical side as a priority and develop it continually. The Academy is doing that so someone has a plan to bring our young players on and that's been from scratch over the last few years so it can be done. Forget a quick promotion fix lets make sure that if we get up we can stay there with everything in place.

Genuine question not sure if it's already been asked as I got to about page 14 and was stumped. Would additional investment not balance the books at all? I'm thinking on the lines of Mr Chansiri asking his dad and chums to step on board, invest large sums of cash etc etc. Obviously I can't get hold of Mr C to suggest this to him but how does that kind of thing come under FFP rules etc. 

For me the only way to avoid all this is to spend huge sums of money in the summer on players, fizz FFP and take the biggest gamble of all on promotion. Wolves have done it the last 2 years and it has paid off. Yes we spend a large amount of money but never much on the absolute quality players (I am trying to ignore the Jordan Rhodes transfer fee and the word "quality" here), which is the opposite of what Wolves have done. 

For me I am all for getting shut of a few players (Westwood, Bannan and Lees would fetch money). We wouldn't need to replace Westwood or Bannan as we have Wildsmith and Clare to do their jobs. Centre back is a struggle so I'd be less happy to see the end of Lees but he has value. FF obviously is another but he really is our best player. Hooper would fetch cash but is our best striker.

It would just be nice to get some good news from our club at some point as it gets more depressing by the day.