SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY - ACCOUNTS AND FFP THREAD

2 minutes ago, Watson said:

Bet you can't wait for that day.  Be able to glory and bask in your self-righteous glow. 

You what I am a fan but I am also in business you run a club like a business.

You need to roll your neck in a bit. 

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

By the same argument on the flip side the beauty of being the opposite of that it's easy to dismiss anything to find an angle to spin the positives of the club even if/when things aren't going great or properly.

There has to be some kind of middle ground doesn't there?

Or you could be both offering constructive criticism and offer plaudits. All to easy to find negatives and even easier to make them up.  

47 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

So 33 pages of people saying "i told you so" even though we were all aware that this was coming.

Amazing init. Well done for spotting the obvious. Maybe people didn’t get abused because they were saying anything contentious, maybe they got abused because, you know, they’re flaps.

• Haha 1

The most important thing now for the club is what can we do between now and the end of the season to make sure we don't lose more than £10m this season. If we can somehow manage not to break FFP, next season we could sell say Hooper, Fessi, Reach and get £20m + in to correct the ship, maybe off load a few of the big wages or pay off less early.

I don't want to sell any of our best players but an embargo last until you are financial stable and £36m wage bill is not sustainable at this level.

Guest mkowl
Just now, room0035 said:

The most important thing now for the club is what can we do between now and the end of the season to make sure we don't lose more than £10m this season. If we can somehow manage not to break FFP, next season we could sell say Hooper, Fessi, Reach and get £20m + in to correct the ship, maybe off load a few of the big wages or pay off less early.

I don't want to sell any of our best players but an embargo last until you are financial stable and £36m wage bill is not sustainable at this level.

Presume a transfer embargo only relates to acquisitions not sales 

10 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Ok what to say that this thread has not already said.

So I will try and comment on a few other points.

The strategic report at the start of the accounts suggests that the average attendance was 27k up from 22k. It confuses me why the turnover is only similar but I concur with others that the benefit of reaching the play off final the season before was significant. 

On the basis the TV and solidarity payments are I think 6m it shows to me that match day income is still only about 10m. A good chunk of that was multi year season ticket monies rolled forward. Of course the renewals this time last year are rolled into 17/18. 

The accounts show expenditure of 11m on transfer fees. What I would say here is that a lot of transfer fee agreements are paid in instalments. A figure that caught my eye was 4m shown as trade creditors due more than a year. I can only think it is transfer instalments as not sure what other supplier would be happy to wait more than 12 months to be paid.

The other stand out figure is 37m shareholder loan from DC an increase of 20m. Ok it is to DC not a bank or 3rd parties so much lower risk than the old days but it is now at a level equivalent to that era. 

Of course these accounts do not show what DC paid MM for the shares. Poster on here has that figure IIRC about 35m to 40m. Also the fact he has introduced funds allocated as share capital - think that is 8m or so now.

Add it up and factor in this year and he is in for over 100m easily now. That is a scary number for him. 

The wage costs are incredible. Ok it includes the Club employees not just players but we are talking 500k a week in wages. A figure that has been suggested on here before. 

That must really hurt as the owner. Throwing in shed loads of cash to see them sat doing nowt. And if they are successful you have to find 7.5m to fund loyalty bonuses. 

Are we in trouble. When it comes to P & S then it is difficult to argue that we must be right to the limit. It's and buts on what can be excluded but we spent 1.5m on the ground and that is in assets. 

Overall are we in trouble. Well as long as DC is prepared to keep lobbing in cash then no. Players on long contracts seems a pain but if FFP does bite we are not going to suffer unduly from a transfer embargo. Tbh with some of the crap bought not sure we should be too worried with the prospect. But to throw in a curveball everyone talks about shipping out players. Those loyalty and bonus payments and the weekly wage bill might explain why some might not be that keen to go unless a new club covers these off

Will DC keep funding us - well if he doesn't he risks the 100m plus put into date doesn't he. For now without promotion who the flip would take this on 

These numbers really do question the ticket price debate. As some of us have long argued when you are losing 20m and funding 20m the incremental potential revenue of this ticketing strategy barely touches the sides.

Could go on but if anyone has any questions on the figures will give it a go to answer it

Really makes you wonder what his business model was when he took over. Did/does he expect a return on investment at some point. Bloody expensive hobby for the kids innit

2 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Presume a transfer embargo only relates to acquisitions not sales 

Yes I think We can sign free and loans but not on wages over £10k a week. We could get some good premiership loans but for what ever reason we haven't gone down this route.

16 minutes ago, mkowl said:

The wage costs are incredible. Ok it includes the Club employees not just players but we are talking 500k a week in wages. 

That far to much I think everyone will agree, but surely that puts to bed the fantasy figures that are bandied about regarding certain players.

For example, Fletcher, Rhodes, Hooper, Fessi etc are all on 40 grand a week according to some.

with a squad of over 30, plus youth players, plus all other staff no way are they on 40k otherwise that bill would be a lot higher

Guest mkowl
1 minute ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

Really makes you wonder what his business model was when he took over. Did/does he expect a return on investment at some point. Bloody expensive hobby for the kids innit

Throw some cash at it, get promoted and sell

4 minutes ago, mkowl said:

They are on 100k a week 

Mk thanks for the summary, did you see the staff increase part look like we have employed an additional 50 staff in the year presumably for the in house catering and bar. If you say on average these people are on 15-20,000 a year then if the catering is not covering this cost we probably should not have brought it in house.

What I would love to see would be a cost centres break down and income revenue streams, from this you could help the club move forward and maybe cut out waste of increase incomes.

What do you think?