SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY - ACCOUNTS AND FFP THREAD

Of course being a succesful businessman would have meant significant s enario planning before putting in nearly £40M which is now gonna be closer to £60M

There are some good strategic Management Accountants and FDs out there.

Be the next person I'd be hiring.

Needs controls and strategic guidance.

Either tht or cut the lsses and sell for what you can get.

Pre-mortgaging STs a la Rangers only helps so much.

Good job the debt is with the owner.

There is the sort of help you need in the Wednesday community Mr Chansiri, at least listen to them.

54 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

This can't have come as a shock, so we must have a plan right ?

yeah I think it's along the lines of shift out as many as we can and replace with youngsters,loans and freebies . ....think it's cost cutting time.

10 hours ago, jamiejohn said:

He had a go, the losses over the last two seasons are about what we spent on transfer fees over that period.

What about the enormous wage bill for this season and next?

What about the policy of not selling any players as they are "family" leading to an enormous squad?

Does anyone think mr c will have seen the accounts yesterday morning and sat with his his head in his hands thinking “ my dads gonna kill me”?

he knows what he is doing. Yes it hasn’t gone to plan this season, but I’m quite confident he will he have a plan to deal with a situation he will have been well aware of developing.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, torryowl said:

yeah I think it's along the lines of shift out as many as we can and replace with youngsters,loans and freebies . ....think it's cost cutting time.

But our fans won't keep paying these stupid prices to watch that ?

Will they ?

Guest mkowl

The accounts ultimately aren't a real surprise or shock because they were probably in the ballpark. It is just seeing them in the cold light of day and makes them fact not conjecture.

Precisely because of where we have been as a football club - 7.5 years ago was it, being on the steps of the High Court we are understandably nervous of what it all means.

Let's be reassured that it is very different to those times. As stated by others the debt is owed to DC not 3rd parties. It is not secured against the assets of the Club.

DC has said he will continue to fund the Club. Whilst there can never be a 100% guarantee on that we have to trust that is the case.

The one emotion I have is almost that of sympathy because for the amount put in you would have hoped the Club on the pitch would be in a better state. The one thing that stuck in my mind when DC first appeared that he talked about a long term project. A lot of what has been done is creating that but a gamble was taken on a quick win on promotion. I can understand that but part of him must sit there and look at his bank account with a bit less in and then on matchday why most of that cash is sat in the stands.

I suspect he does not want our sympathy just support.

I think with the team behind the scenes in place the longer term strategy is happening. Like Lord Snooty said in a post yesterday if only that had arisen from day one and you can't help feeling a lot of people have made a lot of money out of him

19 minutes ago, torryowl said:

However does DC reconcile this approach with the survey results which were to continue spending?

15 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

What about the enormous wage bill for this season and next?

What about the policy of not selling any players as they are "family" leading to an enormous squad?

You’d be better off platting fog as opposed to telling some folk.

Out of his depth and too stubborn to admit it. One shambles after another in the last year or so. Relegation (albeit a fairly slim outcome) would be the icing on the cake in that regard.

• Thanks 1

So there we have it, £9.6 million loss in 2016 and £20.7 million in 2017... and the accounts are only published up to May 31st 2017. Goodness knows what they are in the current financial year. But with a limit of a total loss of £39 million over 3 years, we've only got £8.7 left to play with - and on May 31st last year we had a wage that would push us way beyond it.

How did we get here? Quite possibly - it was that first summer around the time of signing Steven Fletcher. It was a marquee signing at the time but a/ it blew our wage structure and b/ it was a long contract.

The problem is, no matter how good he is, he isn't our best player. And that meant that others who had a stronger reason to be considered our best player then had a stronger reason to renegotiate their contract - FF, Lees for example. And quite right too - because we didn't want to lose those players.

It also opened up the possibility of signing players like Jones & Boyd, adequate as they are, but I worry about their contracts and we're probably paying them much more than their value to the team.

Could this be one of the reasons Jos is bringing on the youngsters? Even if it were possible - and I don't see how we can - we'd have to have a very major clear out in summer to bring ourselves back in line.

As supporters, we have to be realistic about our expectations - even accepting that we'll be happy being a safe mid-table club for the next few years. That £20.7 million loss is not going to disappear off FFP for several more years - and we still don't know what 2018's figures will be.

There is an alternative - and that's going for it for one season. But that is incredibly risky. To do a Wolves, you have to sign extremely well. And we haven't shown we can do that. We tend to sign Premiership players at the end of their careers on high wages and long contracts. We need to sign the next generation - which makes the Hirst situation even more tragic. In the last transfer window we signed Pelupessy. The fee was appropriate in my opinion - and we don't seem to have thrown money away on that deal. If we were to really go for it we need proper quality younger players, well scouted, and players that really would make a difference.

The alternative is a culling of the squad like never before. And how to move players on that other teams are unlikely to want!

I suspect we're already planning for FFP and we need to think long-term to sign players that would actually get us through it - not players that will be ready to retire during it!

8 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

But our fans won't keep paying these stupid prices to watch that ?

Will they ?

Too soft as a fanbase.

My mate supports Forest - prefers us to United like most of them do, but does believe that as a support base it’s always been a bit “wet weekend” when it comes to the tolerance of Wednesday fans.

4 minutes ago, steelowl said:

fres

where were these published mate ?

On here mate via Neil. I think he got the results off swfc website. I recall the result was 70 percent in favour of continued spending

• Thanks 1

It's unbelievable how much we are paying second and third rate players 

Boyd is getting at least 50 grand a week. Who in their right mind would give a washed up elderly footballer such high wages? 

People have said how much Wolves have spent on players. Taking wages into account we have spent so much more money than wolves. They have bought quality players and we have bought players past their sell by date. 

Fletcher was a reject at Sunderland. They were awful and didn't want him. They weren't paying him anywhere near the fifty grand a week we pay him. What do we do. We reward a reject with a massive pay increase. 

I blame cc in part for this. He signed players like abdi and Jones on massive wages and then never played them. They Never started a match together. 

The shocking thing is that we pay massive wages for elderly has beens and we refused to give young Hirst a decent deal. We have lost clare because we wouldn't give him a good deal. 

Instead of investing in young talent we've paid our large wages to washed up players with whom you can't plan and sustain any future 

If the plan was to get us into the top flight with an aging overpaid squad then whoever devised it should be in the insane asylum. 

Ultimately the owner is to blame for this. He negotiates the contracts. He let cc get away with never playing big money signings. 

Regarding the sustainability thing. Do what man City do and pay the fine. The chairman is rolling in money so it won't make any difference to him. 

After all he's bankrolled the most overpaid team of hasbeens in the history of the game. 

Sadly we are left with these players for at least another season. None of the highest paid are out of contract for at least another season. No other club will sign them. And why would they leave and have to take a massive pay cut? 

Who taught our chairman and owner all he knows .

Dave Richards? 

• Like 1

found it 

A) Would you prefer the prices at Sheffield Wednesday across the board, for example Season Tickets, matchday tickets, official merchandise, corporate hospitality, were reduced to previous eras? The consequence of this would be the sale of key senior players, regular promotion to the first team of academy youngsters and a reduced level of investment.

Answer: Yes 29.94% No 70.06%

B) Alternatively, would you prefer the club to build on the current level of investment, maintain the pricing structure, and extend our ongoing strategy geared towards promotion to the Premier League.

Answer: Yes: 70.14%  No: 29.86%

8 minutes ago, steelowl said:

found it 

A) Would you prefer the prices at Sheffield Wednesday across the board, for example Season Tickets, matchday tickets, official merchandise, corporate hospitality, were reduced to previous eras? The consequence of this would be the sale of key senior players, regular promotion to the first team of academy youngsters and a reduced level of investment.

Answer: Yes 29.94% No 70.06%

B) Alternatively, would you prefer the club to build on the current level of investment, maintain the pricing structure, and extend our ongoing strategy geared towards promotion to the Premier League.

Answer: Yes: 70.14%  No: 29.86%

How the feck is DC going to continue spending considering the circumstances around FFP? It's bizarre.