#SWFC Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours Thread

1 hour ago, JaddyOwl said:

Total Rumour but lad who cuts my hair had a bloke in prior to Hunt going and said Hunts going to Bristol City for 1.6mill and Reach has had interest from West Ham with the fee been around 12mill!

This was apparently said 2 days before anything come out about Hunt.

And before West Ham bought Anderson and Yarmolenko for £52.5m.

Edited by Geoffrey

I don’t think anyone would pay £12m for Adam Reach the left wing back He’s not particularly convincing in that position, even for us Mainly down to his complete lack of defensive awareness 

He has something, and he may develop into a decent midfielder, but as a wing back, he has plenty of work to do

Premier League 

La Liga 

Bundesliga 

League 1. 

Championship

Seria A  

Brazilian 1st Division

Liga Nos 

Eredivise

Bundesliga 2

Scottish Premier League 

In terms of league quality, I might be a little off with the order but that's how imagine it.

We know where we need to get our loans from, stay away from scottish football lol

33 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Two points to this 3 seasons have passed and we know Matias will not be fit to think otherwise has no substance. The second McKay is twice the player Matias is 

Was Matias injured or just overlooked? I honestly don't know. The thing is, as it stands it looks like we haven't got a pot to wee wee in we may need Matais to play a part for us. His Cup performance against Reading in the second half was something else, pace, trickery, skill and non stop running in behind, out wide and coming short. Maybe it was a one off but if he is capable of getting anywhere near that standard and keeping fit then he could be a big player for us. Yeah it's a big ask and probably given his history with us not very likely but we may not have many options given our financial position.

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I don’t think anyone would pay £12m for Adam Reach the left wing back He’s not particularly convincing in that position, even for us Mainly down to his complete lack of defensive awareness 

He has something, and he may develop into a decent midfielder, but as a wing back, he has plenty of work to do

Plenty of top wingbacks can't defend. Most teams are far more interested in their attacking threat than their defensive abilities. It's why you find so many converted attacking midfielders playing in that role.

Adam Reach should be playing left wing back, end of! Bags of energy and he’s athletic. Pre-requisites for the role.

Wing backs average position should be on the half way line. He’s not playing full back, he’s a wing back. There is a major difference here. Adam Reach is more suited to playing wing back, than being a natural winger, attacker or midfielder. 

Edited by Bouncing Owl
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Plenty of top wingbacks can't defend. Most teams are far more interested in their attacking threat than their defensive abilities. It's why you find so many converted attacking midfielders playing in that role.

That’s true, but the better ones do have some sort of sense of positioning, and/or, good recovery speed To my mind, Reach has neither Problem for us, we have very few options there Fox is seen as more of a centre back (oh lordy) and Boyd seems not to have the legs A lot suggest young Penney, but is he ready for the role at this level?

20 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

Premier League 

La Liga 

Bundesliga 

League 1. 

Championship

Seria A  

Brazilian 1st Division

Liga Nos 

Eredivise

Bundesliga 2

Scottish Premier League 

In terms of league quality, I might be a little off with the order but that's how imagine it.

We know where we need to get our loans from, stay away from scottish football lol

You’re off. Serie A is way better than championship. 

Probably better than Ligue 1 too.

2 hours ago, striker said:

Would be a good signing. If this is in the pipeline, surprised the Palmer to bolton rumour didn't have more legs.

Not really surprising, would you sign for a club that has been in the news for failing to pay wages on time and not paying bonuses to the point the players went on strike?  Can't blame Liam for staying here.

Edited by Beauchief Owl

1 hour ago, owls maniac said:

£12m for Reach wouldn’t be a bad sum at all.

Is it a decent price though when you look at the silly money other have gone for this season.

Look a Norwich one season of Championship football Maddison is worth £22m, Josh Murphy 2 full season another £15m transfer, the Goalkeeper Gunn a few seasons on loan in the championship now hes a £13.5m goalkeeper.

Reach Last season 52 games, 4 goals and 9 assists - I think in today's market together with his potential to improve £15m+ would be what I was looking for. Its sounds a lot but the market at the moment is insane and we would be stupid to not demand more, Look at Brooks played just 30 games and scored only 3 goals and he is worth £12m+ compare those stats to reach and £12m seems not a great price for Reach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Is it a decent price though when you look at the silly money other have gone for this season.

Look a Norwich one season of Championship football Maddison is worth £22m, Josh Murphy 2 full season another £15m transfer, the Goalkeeper Gunn a few seasons on loan in the championship now hes a £13.5m goalkeeper.

Reach Last season 52 games, 4 goals and 9 assists - I think in today's market together with his potential to improve £15m+ would be what I was looking for. Its sounds a lot but the market at the moment is insane and we would be stupid to not demand more, Look at Brooks played just 30 games and scored only 3 goals and he is worth £12m+ compare those stats to reach and £12m seems not a great price for Reach.

And we lose last seasons player of the season. 

If he hadn't been there last season we would have got relegated, no question. 

I dont see us selling him, would be like shooting ourselves in the foot. 

I don’t buy into this about Reach having no positional sense, especially as a wing back.

He played wing back at Preston before we signed him.

As a wing back you are going to be caught too far forward occasionally, it is the nature of the position.

But the biggest issue is under both Carlos and Jos he has been played all over the place, and asked to run all over the place!

Let’s see him have a dozen games as a wing back before we say he is dodgy positionally.

I met up with chap this morning who is well informed on most sports. Was hoping for some information. He had nothing on Wednesday whatsoever. He heard early in summer we were one of several Champiosnship clubs who were to be informed which youngsters were likely to be available for loan but this is common practice. Apparently nothing since and nothing circulating. Before anybody asks he works for a large betting company and works on forming sporting markets.

Sorry for nothing exciting.

2 hours ago, fpowl said:

We’re pushing half a decade ago there we may as well compare him to. Waddle and hope he can rediscover his form with us in those first two seasons 

Understand what you are saying. But if and it's a big if, we Can get Matias fit and playing then I think his levels will far out weigh that of McKays.

8 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

I don’t buy into this about Reach having no positional sense, especially as a wing back.

As a wing back you are going to be caught too far forward occasionally, it is the nature of the position.

But the biggest issue is under both Carlos and Jos he has been played all over the place, and asked to run all over the place!

Let’s see him have a dozen games as a wing back before we say he is dodgy positionally.

It’s not just an issue of being caught further forward Often when I watched him taking up defensive positions, he was completely unaware of what might be happening behind him Of course, he will learn those skills with greater experience, as you suggest 

For me the Norwich match summed up his game He was very good coming forward, delivering some excellent crosses However, the Norwich wide right attacker, beat him every single time 

As a wing back, he is very much work in progress

49 minutes ago, Beholder said:

And we lose last seasons player of the season. 

If he hadn't been there last season we would have got relegated, no question. 

I dont see us selling him, would be like shooting ourselves in the foot. 

Mate not saying we should but what I am saying is if we do then don't take the first offer. When Brooks is going for £12m after less than 1 season of football then reach is worth a lot more.

22 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Didn't at Preston he had Cunningham behind him for most of the games a player who is more of a natural wing back. A player if we had any money would have been a great signing for us..

So two weeks tomorrow we have our first game of the season.

To recap so far we have no new players and no rumours to suggest there is any likely hood of getting any. 

We have sold just 1 player and loan another one out to a fellow championship team.

we have not offload the likes of Matias, Abdi, Jones and Fletcher who are costing us millions each season to sit watching the games from the stands.

We don't have a home shirt available to buy for anyone other than kids and some women's sizes

We don't have any away shirts

We don't have a fully fit squad with Hooper, Lee, Fletcher, Winnall unlikely to be ready for the start of the season and are waiting for the excuse why Abdi makes no appearances what so ever in pre-season.

But don't worry we have the squad number out and all is right with the world lol