#SWFC Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours Thread

1 hour ago, TrickyTrev said:

We spent £8m on Rhodes abd I wouldn’t write him off just yet.

His goal scoring record at this level is second to none and I have a sneaky feeling he will rediscover it this year at Norwich meaning we would still get our money back on him.

Whatever way you look at it, there’s more evidence to suggest that Rhodes will score more than Waghorn this season.

Did we get £1.5m from Norwich for the loan deal? Would be nice if we could revise it down to ‘we spent £6.5m on Rhodes’. Bit more palatable.

16 hours ago, agentwalker said:

On paper it sounds fine however I seem to remember they have the foreign limit of players in the Russian league and the only thing thats done is inflated the price of home grown players to stupid amounts.

True true but you look in Germany after the fail in the world cup, they limited the foreign players to 5 and then more players came through and they ended up winning the world cup tournaments after.

Something has to change when otr national team have played more games on loan and in the championship than for the clubs that own them.

Just now, room0035 said:

True true but you look in Germany after the fail in the world cup, they limited the foreign players to 5 and then more players came through and they ended up winning the world cup tournaments after.

Something has to change when otr national team have played more games on loan and in the championship than for the clubs that own them.

That not just a coincidence? Out of interest what rules do France have?

2 hours ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Sheffield United are set to break their club record transfer fee after making a bid worth £5m for Ipswich Town’s Martyn Waghorn according to a report from the Daily Star.

Presumably we were asking £10m for Winnall so we could sort the FFP issues out lol

10 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Did we get £1.5m from Norwich for the loan deal? Would be nice if we could revise it down to ‘we spent £6.5m on Rhodes’. Bit more palatable.

Very true, I’d forgotten about that.

If he rediscovers his scoring form at Norwich, considering the Madine fee and the fee being discussed for Waghorn, we could still make a profit on him!!

56 minutes ago, pgmetcalf said:

ST generator that. No intention there at all

Looks like you are right, well apart on valuation according to Nixon. Looks like the Blunts bidding big in the knowledge it isn't going to be accepted so they can say the tried. 

1 minute ago, Philb125 said:

Not sure they seem to have a lot of foreign imports. But they do seem to be producing a lot of good young players that are then being signed up by teams abroad. 

1 minute ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

Half the population of Africa have French passports,  that's how it works.

How about Belgium then? they are the second highest % of any of the big leagues of foreign imports and have a lower qualification standard thus used as feeder clubs. Yet they seem to churn out star after star. 

I think the quota players to improve national team is a myth. 

16 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

The below is a very old article but Howard Wilkinson was asked to come up with a plan to improve the national teams fortunes he came up with the Charter of Quality and at the time was ignore and bypassed by the English FA, instead the German FA took the ideas ran with them and a few years later were winning world cups again.

Interest article below if you have 20 minutes to waste. 

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/2010/07/01/an-england-analysis-ahead-of-its-time/

5 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

How about Belgium then? they are the second highest % of any of the big leagues of foreign imports and have a lower qualification standard thus used as feeder clubs. Yet they seem to churn out star after star. 

I think the quota players to improve national team is a myth. 

Don't both Belgium and France have a lot of players who qualify for them which are born in Africa - I think the Ivory Coast players are able to play for France and players from Congo can also play for Belgium. A bit like the england cricket teams is full of players not born in England but have adhered to certain rules so they can play for them. 

Could the below be a good shout when he played against us last season look a half decent player, is Scottish so will fit in with the other 36 we have. Only 23 thought he was older and may get his for a decent price, if we have any money to spend. Fit in with what Jos said of signing Championship quality players and a position that we need.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/would-be-a-very-astute-signing-nottingham-forest-winger-to-sheffield-wednesday-the-verdict/

4 minutes ago, room0035 said:

The below is a very old article but Howard Wilkinson was asked to come up with a plan to improve the national teams fortunes he came up with the Charter of Quality and at the time was ignore and bypassed by the English FA, instead the German FA took the ideas ran with them and a few years later were winning world cups again.

Interest article below if you have 20 minutes to waste. 

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/2010/07/01/an-england-analysis-ahead-of-its-time/

some good points in there and some seems to have been adopted since. still think its coincidence largely though. More down to the standard of coaching in the country than the volume of talent / foreigners plying their trade there. thats how teams such as Iceland continue to do well. as do other tiny nations & like i said belgium.

5 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Don't both Belgium and France have a lot of players who qualify for them which are born in Africa - I think the Ivory Coast players are able to play for France and players from Congo can also play for Belgium. A bit like the england cricket teams is full of players not born in England but have adhered to certain rules so they can play for them. 

not sure, i know they have players from african decent in both but unsure of exacts. I think i read that only 2 of frances team were not born in france but raised there which seams fine considering the amount of players not born in england/wales/ireland/scotland represent our teams. 

not sure on Belgian front - who was born outside of the borders?

Sorry off topic - ant transfer news???

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Very true, I’d forgotten about that.

If he rediscovers his scoring form at Norwich, considering the Madine fee and the fee being discussed for Waghorn, we could still make a profit on him!!

Good grief, we actually could. Imagine a world where we look back on the Rhodes deal as ‘a good bit of business’ :biggrin:

Edited by Sonny
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Paying over the odds doesn't make him a better player, it just drives up expectations ! Egan and Waghorn will deliver spasmodically. Spasmodically is not good enough ! 

16 goals & 10 assists for Waghorn, is a little better than spasmodic tbf

Shame we didn't go for Waghorn when Ipswich signed him for under £1mil ... 

He'd fit well into a front 3, as a wide striker. I dread to think of Hooper being shoe horned into Joao's role, running the right channel & tracking back to help Palmer 

3 hours ago, room0035 said:

Could the below be a good shout when he played against us last season look a half decent player, is Scottish so will fit in with the other 36 we have. Only 23 thought he was older and may get his for a decent price, if we have any money to spend. Fit in with what Jos said of signing Championship quality players and a position that we need.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/would-be-a-very-astute-signing-nottingham-forest-winger-to-sheffield-wednesday-the-verdict/

We are skint, nothing going to happen.