#SWFC Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours Thread

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It’s not just an issue of being caught further forward Often when I watched him taking up defensive positions, he was completely unaware of what might be happening behind him Of course, he will learn those skills with greater experience, as you suggest 

For me the Norwich match summed up his game He was very good coming forward, delivering some excellent crosses However, the Norwich wide right attacker, beat him every single time 

As a wing back, he is very much work in progress

I don’t remember the Norwich wide player beating him every single time. That is absolutely an exaggeration but it is irrelevant.

In a system with 3 at the back the wing back is going to be caught forward and the left centre back has to cover. That is the weakness with the system.

Wing back is a very hard position to play and you can be made to look foolish as we saw at the World Cup. 

That might have been the first game for Reach at wing back last season. Shortly before that we played Hull away and Reach played on the right hand side of a front three! 

The best thing Jos  can do is give Reach a settled position and give the lad a chance to show how good he can be.

7 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

I don’t remember the Norwich wide player beating him every single time. That is absolutely an exaggeration but it is irrelevant.

In a system with 3 at the back the wing back is going to be caught forward and the left centre back has to cover. That is the weakness with the system.

Wing back is a very hard position to play and you can be made to look foolish as we saw at the World Cup. 

That might have been the first game for Reach at wing back last season. Shortly before that we played Hull away and Reach played on the right hand side of a front three! 

The best thing Jos  can do is give Reach a settled position and give the lad a chance to show how good he can be.

For me we should play a slightly different system.

3-5-2 but with one of the midfield 3 sitting in the sweeper role, if Reach or possible Boyd is on the other side, the sweeper is there to sort the issues when the wing backs get caught up field. The sweeper cannot be on both sides of the pitch but neither can the ball. If match fit this would be Hutch's best role. That would allow for wingers to fully commit to every attack.

• Like 1

Sunderland set to sign Loovens up and are looking for one more centre back. Could we use this to our advantage send either Neilson or O'Grady to Sunderland on loan for the season or till January to get some much needed first team football but playing with Loovens will learn from him and also have someone around that they know well.

Could be a good bit of business for both clubs and is also get a little bit more of the overheads 

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

Sunderland set to sign Loovens up and are looking for one more centre back. Could we use this to our advantage send either Neilson or O'Grady to Sunderland on loan for the season or till January to get some much needed first team football but playing with Loovens will learn from him and also have someone around that they know well.

Could be a good bit of business for both clubs and is also get a little bit more of the overheads 

Or alternatively we actually give Neilson and or O'grady a break and see what they're all about,its not as if Lees,Pudil,Westwood couldn't give em any guidance.

31 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Believe me, it’s not an exaggeration They got 21 crosses in, and decent ones, from both flanks However, a combination of good defending, and bad finishing, stopped them from getting a hat full Think all that was lost in the euphoria of our biggest win of the season 

The general points about the role of the wing back, yes they are there primarily to offer the side width They do need to be adequate defenders though

1 hour ago, oldishowl said:

I don’t buy into this about Reach having no positional sense, especially as a wing back.

He played wing back at Preston before we signed him.

As a wing back you are going to be caught too far forward occasionally, it is the nature of the position.

But the biggest issue is under both Carlos and Jos he has been played all over the place, and asked to run all over the place!

Let’s see him have a dozen games as a wing back before we say he is dodgy positionally.

I think he’s perfect for wing back, you don’t even need to be as effective defensively (Just look at Ashley Young!) when you have the three centre halves and a midfield anchor who can shift over.

Edited by Bluesteel

Just now, DELUDED OWL said:

Or alternatively we actually give Neilson and or O'grady a break and see what they're all about,its not as if Lees,Pudil,Westwood couldn't give em any guidance.

We have a back three of probably Lees/ Pudil/Thornley we then have JVA and Hutch to come in, the two of them will not get a lot of first team game time. 

Send them out on loan to Sunderland they could play 15-20 games and week in week out, in front of a decent sized crowd. Would be a good step in the right direction for them, we won't need 7 center backs so can you see Neilson and O'Grady making more than half a dozen appearance all season because unless we lose all the other mentioned i cannot.

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

We have a back three of probably Lees/ Pudil/Thornley we then have JVA and Hutch to come in, the two of them will not get a lot of first team game time. 

Send them out on loan to Sunderland they could play 15-20 games and week in week out, in front of a decent sized crowd. Would be a good step in the right direction for them, we won't need 7 center backs so can you see Neilson and O'Grady making more than half a dozen appearance all season because unless we lose all the other mentioned i cannot.

Think Sunderland will have higher ambitions than Neilsen and O'Grady I am afraid to say.

2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

We didn't need seven f-----g strikers either but thats what we ended up with,we can afford to lose a couple up top,defensively we need numbers as a "just in case",rather they develop in a defensive system we can/will/should/ play,so as when called upon they aren't out of their depth.

9 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I think he’s perfect for wing back, you don’t even need to be as effective defensively (Just look at Ashley Young!) when you have the three centre halves and a midfield anchor who can shift over.

Wingbacks is all about the up and down.

Why Shaw can't get in ahead of Young.

Why Palmer struggles in that position.

Why Boyd has been played there.

Why Milner and Moses are effective in that position.

8 minutes ago, DELUDED OWL said:

We didn't need seven f-----g strikers either but thats what we ended up with,we can afford to lose a couple up top,defensively we need numbers as a "just in case",rather they develop in a defensive system we can/will/should/ play,so as when called upon they aren't out of their depth.

Look I am not going to fall out about it but we could take a lot from looking a few miles across the city.

They develop young players they send them out on loan, which enables their development and also get them playing against seasoned pro's each week, something you don't get in the under 23's development league. These players then come back better, stronger, wiser players and the blades then sell them for millions.

Look at us last season Thorniley was not ready for the first team spend half a season at Acrington Stanley played 20+ games came back in January and went from strength to strength had he stayed at the club and waited for his chance would he had got it probably not he would have been competing with Neilson/Ogrady/Lee now he has jump ahead of them with the first team experience.

Neilson and Ogrady will be regulars for the development squad but other than the occasional cup game will play very little unless we have a massive injury crisis again. 

Edited by room0035

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

The example of Young as a successful wing back is particularly apt To me he looked distinctly makeshift, and was definitely our weak link in Russia

You don't think the 4 ft centre back that kept giving the ball to the opposition strikers was more of an issue?

It may be unpalatable for some but I suspect the squad will be better balanced come the end of this season or the beginning of next. You can moan about it

until the cows come home but unfortunately this is the situation we’re in and we have to make the best of it.

That said I expect 2 or 3 players who are off the radar at the moment to shine before the season’s out.

2 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Not really surprising, would you sign for a club that has been in the news for failing to pay wages on time and not paying bonuses to the point the players went on strike?  Can't blame Liam for staying here.

Fair point

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Wonder which of our players he has earmarked for a kick in the balls.

lol

It won't be the one earmarked.

He is that slow, that it will be the one that tries to go past after the one earmarked.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

The example of Young as a successful wing back is particularly apt To me he looked distinctly makeshift, and was definitely our weak link in Russia

He can’t defend very well, yet went to the World Cup and played most of the games in a successful team.  It was his lack of consistent quality going forward that was probably the bigger problem (the defenders bailed him out in defence) and I don’t think that’s an issue for Reach at this level. 

1 hour ago, Great Big Galaa said:

It may be unpalatable for some but I suspect the squad will be better balanced come the end of this season or the beginning of next. You can moan about it

until the cows come home but unfortunately this is the situation we’re in and we have to make the best of it.

That said I expect 2 or 3 players who are off the radar at the moment to shine before the season’s out.

The frustrating thing for me is how little it would take to make us genuine top 6 contenders. If we had kept hunt and could sign a decent lwb and an experienced championship CB then we would be in a good position. I understand why we have to shift players out but it feels like this season could end up being a wasted opportunity. 

I guess we may be able to bring in a couple of cheap loans which may help but still...