#SWFC Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours Thread

Just now, Groundhopping Owl said:

I’d laugh like a drain if Salford somehow found a way to balls it up. Sadly they seem to have a team good enough to get out of League Two, let alone the National League.

Why,the more teams from lower down the pyramid make moves upwards into the football league can only be applauded i say,more power to em,hope they do smash the national league.

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Palmer has played 121 games for us at right back, providing three assists and zero goals in those games.

I think 'shocking' might be too kind.

:duntmatter:

It would be ok if Palmer was solid as a rock defensively (think of someone like Hernandez for France at the World Cup this summer: he didn’t go forward all that often but he was still a hugely important part of the team as absolutely nothing got past him.

Unfortunately, he’s not. He’s ok defensively but still has a tendency to get bullied by stronger and faster wingers - Michail Antonio tore him apart when Notts Forest came to Hillsborough a few years ago. 

1 hour ago, Bagarri said:

Sweet Lord...the thought of Fox and Palmer as 1st choice wingbacks is terrifying!

Bang on...Palmer tries hard and will do a job as backup but Fox is simply not capable at this level.

Surely Reach will play left wingback he's a natural

1 minute ago, DELUDED OWL said:

Why,the more teams from lower down the pyramid make moves upwards into the football league can only be applauded i say,more power to em,hope they do smash the national league.

I can see where you’re coming from, it adds some nice variety to the Football League and Salford are certainly a great story, the BBC miniseries on them the last few years has been cracking.

I’m just predisposed to dislike Salford as I’m strongly traditionalist when it comes to non-League (mainly because my second team are Bradford Park Avenue and they’ve barely got a pot to p*ss in). I’d rather see clubs climb out of the National League by being brilliantly run (like Macclesfield did last season, John Askey did an incredible job there), rather than just chucking obscene amounts of money at it - and in my book paying a striker £4k a week in a week where a fair chunk of the players are still part time qualifies as obscene.

Nevertheless I suspect you’ll get your wish, that League looks ripe for the taking with the resources Salford have got at their disposal. It’s all opinions, me raging about moneybags clubs like Salford, Forest Green and Fylde means nothing as I suspect they’ll just become part of the Football League furniture over the next few years.

3 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

I can see where you’re coming from, it adds some nice variety to the Football League and Salford are certainly a great story, the BBC miniseries on them the last few years has been cracking.

I’m just predisposed to dislike Salford as I’m strongly traditionalist when it comes to non-League (mainly because my second team are Bradford Park Avenue and they’ve barely got a pot to p*ss in). I’d rather see clubs climb out of the National League by being brilliantly run (like Macclesfield did last season, John Askey did an incredible job there), rather than just chucking obscene amounts of money at it - and in my book paying a striker £4k a week in a week where a fair chunk of the players are still part time qualifies as obscene.

Nevertheless I suspect you’ll get your wish, that League looks ripe for the taking with the resources Salford have got at their disposal. It’s all opinions, me raging about moneybags clubs like Salford, Forest Green and Fylde means nothing as I suspect they’ll just become part of the Football League furniture over the next few years.

Hmm,not sure Macclesfield could be given too much credit for coming BACK  into the league,however well Askey did,my view is teams like the original Wimbledon,Forest Green,Fleetwood Town,Dagenham &Redbridge,Rushden and Diamonds etc,who came from seven/eight tiers down to get league football is an amazing achievement.Love stuff like that i do.

19 minutes ago, meggoisgod said:

Bang on...Palmer tries hard and will do a job as backup but Fox is simply not capable at this level.

Surely Reach will play left wingback he's a natural

Is he ??  Hasn’t looked a natural whenever I’ve seen him play LWB 

2 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Salford City sign Adam Rooney from Aberdeen. 

So the player has left a top level Scottish team that are in the Europa League to join a non leagu English side. He played 36 times last season and was seen as a first choice player. Apparently Salford will pay him 4k per week. 

In non league football circles the story is that Man Utd are funding Salford, in an attempt to impact FC Man Utd. The Nevilles etc are just a front. 

9 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Is he ??  Hasn’t looked a natural whenever I’ve seen him play LWB 

Have we ever seen him play LWB though? Under Carlos he was LM one week and then LB the next which can't be easy for anyone to get any consistency with.

34 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

It would be ok if Palmer was solid as a rock defensively (think of someone like Hernandez for France at the World Cup this summer: he didn’t go forward all that often but he was still a hugely important part of the team as absolutely nothing got past him.

Unfortunately, he’s not. He’s ok defensively but still has a tendency to get bullied by stronger and faster wingers - Michail Antonio tore him apart when Notts Forest came to Hillsborough a few years ago. 

It’s also frightening the number of goals we concede at the far post when Palmer plays!

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, casbahowl said:

It’s also frightening the number of goals we concede at the far post when Palmer plays!

Not sure that’s fair You could say the same about 6 yard box headers when Lees plays There’s always other factors

1 hour ago, vulva said:

In non league football circles the story is that Man Utd are funding Salford, in an attempt to impact FC Man Utd. The Nevilles etc are just a front. 

Interesting, hadn’t heard that. FC United have certainly floundered in recent years, their founder now has no involvement with the club and their manager since the club was born left halfway through last season.

9 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Interesting, hadn’t heard that. FC United have certainly floundered in recent years, their founder now has no involvement with the club and their manager since the club was born left halfway through last season.

Don’t think you can say floundered. They have built their own ground and finished last season mid table in the conference north with the third highest average attendance for the league (behind only Stockport and York). 

Essentially they have now reached a league which is very competitive, and unlike Salford which is bankrolled by millionaires they are 100% fan owned. 

15 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

It was actually a Chairman of a club in the same league that told me. I deal with him on other business. Some of the stories about players, agents etc at that level are incredible.  

Re the Man Utd thing, they despise FC Man Utd and are just trying to dilute their support and they don’t want them in the league. 

I think Salford could eventually become the first feeder club for a top flight side. 

• Like 1

I just don’t see jos playing Reach LWB, he can be one of our main attacking threats on his day ,  for me it’s the same argument of playing Keiren Lee RWB , when hes back fit he’s one of the best central midfielders in the league 

but i also see the other side of argument, were massively lacking wing backs to the point I don’t really understand why Jos is sticking to the system 

I’d love to think Penney and Baker could step up and be options, but that’s a big ask 

1 hour ago, Royal_D said:

I just don’t see jos playing Reach LWB, he can be one of our main attacking threats on his day ,  for me it’s the same argument of playing Keiren Lee RWB , when hes back fit he’s one of the best central midfielders in the league 

but i also see the other side of argument, were massively lacking wing backs to the point I don’t really understand why Jos is sticking to the system 

I’d love to think Penney and Baker could step up and be options, but that’s a big ask 

Reach is a lwb all day long , obvious it’s his best role 

2 hours ago, casbahowl said:

OK so what is the number ? Average per match ? What are his other weaknesses ? Maybe your fear stems from your prejudice  or you're just miffed because we do go out and Blast 2 or 3 Mill on a full back.