I think Jos has Palmer ahead of Hunt

2 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Are you Dave Jones ?

How many times did you see him play right back ? 

Lee was played at right back at Oldham as an emergency measure. Before then, at Oldham and Man Utd, he was played in the very same role he excels in for us I.e. central midfield. It was plainly obvious that he isn’t a fullback the last 2 or 3 times he played there for us over the last couple of years.  

Dave Jones bought Lee as a right back but Stuart Gray soon realised that Lee was 5h1t there and supreme as a midfielder. 

31 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

He probably has Palmer ahead at the moment but Hunt is the better player.

Overall, Jack Hunt has played very well over the last 11 months or so. Had a shocker away at Ipswich but on the main has been one of our better performers. 

Both different with different strengths.

For a back 4 Palmer every time, tackles and defends better.Could also provide cover on the left as v Reading or central midfield where he originally played.

As a wing back Hunt is quicker and crosses better, has rhe insurance of a third centre back behind him as defensive cover.

3 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Lee was played at right back at Oldham as an emergency measure. Before then, at Oldham and Man Utd, he was played in the very same role he excels in for us I.e. central midfield. It was plainly obvious that he isn’t a fullback the last 2 or 3 times he played there for us over the last couple of years.  

Dave Jones bought Lee as a right back but Stuart Gray soon realised that Lee was 5h1t there and supreme as a midfielder. 

So how many times did you see him at right back ?

52 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

He probably has Palmer ahead at the moment but Hunt is the better player.

Overall, Jack Hunt has played very well over the last 11 months or so. Had a shocker away at Ipswich but on the main has been one of our better performers. 

As a defender, Hunt is average at best.

Considering a full backs job is to stop crosses coming in , cyber the back post, show wingers onto their weaker side he's actually worse than average. 

Giving him the benefit of the doubt he might have been playing to orders and Jos might actually improve him.

If we're to progress then I can't see that he will be here after summer.

As for the comment about Ipswich,did you watch the derby. Deary me.

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs

If we are going to persist with 3-5-2 and playing 3 in the middle, I would like to see a fully fit Kieran Lee and Barry Bannan play in a midfield 3 ahead of a defensive player. Both are brilliant players who are suited to play in a 3 due to their size and how they play the game.

Ive never seen Kieran Lee play right wing back but he’s got too much to offer in the middle of the park to play wing back.

Jack Hunt and Adam Reach should be wing backs.

51 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Palmer is a far better footballer IMO , Just needs to keep focused, he goes to sleep at times , also does not get back into his defensive position quickly enough

Footballer wise Palmer is ahead 

Athletic wise its Hunt 

Both need to improve 

16 minutes ago, shandypants said:

I thought Lee had won the player of the season at right back for Oldham? He looked pretty good there when he made his debut (Bolton at home I think) under DJ but then seem to remember DJ saying he wasn’t ready for the championship and then when he did play him again played him at right midfield where was just OK.

i don’t remember him playing at full back since then certainly not in the last couple of seasons.

Hunt has won me over in the last year or so... he’s still coming back from injury and let’s be honest will still be petrified of Carlos’s negativity !! He’s decent at this level but if we wanna challenge the top 2 we need to have 2 better wing backs.

Fox is a bigger worry than both and Reach is a cm I’m sure of it so we’re short there.

4 minutes ago, Bigger Guns said:

I honk Palmer is a better crosser of the ball. In a back 4 he could be a bit of a liability because he doesn’t get back once he’s gone forward. In this system he can relinquish his defensive duties a bit more.

Go get a shower then 

lol

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, shandypants said:

You're completely wrong on this one pal.

He was converted from CM to RB at Man U  where he went on to captain the reserves to the title playing in all but 5 of that seasons games.

He also made a couple of first team cameos from the bench scoring once as RB.

After a lengthy injury he went to Oldham on a free where they decided to try him at CM. He struggled to hold down a first team place and ASKED to be given a chance at RB.

He went on to captain Oldham from RB missing only 2 games over the next 2 seasons before his move to us ! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

Friday night was Hunt's worst performance since he came here. Bar none.

I'll be amazed if he starts against Boro.

At least we have a choice & luckily the other was on the bench & got a run out too.

Absolutely agree with this.  Hunt was appalling on Friday.  However, although Liam Palmer is perhaps a tidier footballer, he lacks real pace and his recovery is so very slow.  There are frequent occasions when the opposition are on the counter-attack and Palmer is seen jogging back as if tomorrow will do.  If Jos can coach him to get back more quickly, maybe Palmer could make the position his own.  He also needs to improve his crossing though, as well.

23 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

If we are going to persist with 3-5-2 and playing 3 in the middle, I would like to see a fully fit Kieran Lee and Barry Bannan play in a midfield 3 ahead of a defensive player. Both are brilliant players who are suited to play in a 3 due to their size and how they play the game.

Ive never seen Kieran Lee play right wing back but he’s got too much to offer in the middle of the park to play wing back.

Jack Hunt and Adam Reach should be wing backs.

How can we play 3 at the back and 3 in the middle?

Keep Reach away from full back.Its NOT his best position, and we never get the best from him. Yes. He can fill in at LB in an emergency , but has been playing the Bannan role to greater effect than Bannan.. 

In fact, under the new regime, many of the 'regulars' are going to have to prove their worth. Place must be found for Venancio, preferably right sided. Some of our 'regulars' will be unhappy trying to play the new system, and Hutchinson is , unfortunately, an accident waiting to happen. Yes. we appreciate his work rate, his skills and commitment, but he is so easily yellow carded every  time he tackles.

Let this manager make his own mind up. He knows what he wants from the various players, and seems unafraid to use the younger ones. Let's face it, the older ones were pulling no trees up before they became injured.  

23 minutes ago, shandypants said:

All the times he played there for us. What’s that? 15 times in his first season and half-a-dozen times since? 

And you said I have got eyes painted on ? 

Lewis Buxton and Liam Palmer were our fullbacks and KL only played there maybe once or twice , He only had his chance to play midfield because of injuries and played right hand side midfield before getting his place in central midfield with Stuart Gray 

7 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

How can we play 3 at the back and 3 in the middle?

Keep Reach away from full back.Its NOT his best position, and we never get the best from him. Yes. He can fill in at LB in an emergency , but has been playing the Bannan role to greater effect than Bannan.. 

In fact, under the new regime, many of the 'regulars' are going to have to prove their worth. Place must be found for Venancio, preferably right sided. Some of our 'regulars' will be unhappy trying to play the new system, and Hutchinson is , unfortunately, an accident waiting to happen. Yes. we appreciate his work rate, his skills and commitment, but he is so easily yellow carded every  time he tackles.

Let this manager make his own mind up. He knows what he wants from the various players, and seems unafraid to use the younger ones. Let's face it, the older ones were pulling no trees up before they became injured.  

Adam Reach is a left wing back, I’m telling you. He will run up and down that flank all day long. I wouldn’t play him left back in a 4, I agree with that.

Pigs play 3-5-2 and they have 3 at the back and 3 in the middle. That is what the formation is all about.

If he decides to go 4-2-3-1, I would see Reach being deployed on the left of the 3.

• Like 1