"Have you heard of Neil Warnock before coming to Sheffield Wednesday?"

Daft question to ask. I mean, why would he have? Only two seasons spent managing in the top flight - 1992 and 2007 - both ending in relegation. Warnock's reputation amongst top European club managers must be minuscule and rightly so.

Embarrassingly parochial by the local media.

Why even ask that question . Name a bundesliga 2 manager that is adept at gaining promotion regularly to the top flight . Name a manager of the bundesliga smaller clubs . What are they saying that an ex manager of a club that has never concerned him should be on the top of his lips . What was the next question , what's his favourite cat . 

Edited by cross owl
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, paulrs said:

Daft question to ask. I mean, why would he have? Only two seasons spent managing in the top flight - 1992 and 2007 - both ending in relegation. Warnock's reputation amongst top European club managers must be minuscule and rightly so.

Embarrassingly parochial by the local media.

You're wrong I think.  He took Notts Co from 3rd div to 1st in successive seasons and kept them up for 2 seasons.  He took another small club, Sheffield united, up for a season.  Plus he got QPR up of course.  

That's a fantastic record by any standards.  

41 minutes ago, cross owl said:

Why even ask that question . Name a bundesliga 2 manager that is adept at gaining promotion regularly to the top flight . Name a manager of the bundesliga smaller clubs .

Jos Luhukay :ph34r:

*Ok, ok. I'd never heard of him. 

1 hour ago, Lincs Owl said:

You're wrong I think.  He took Notts Co from 3rd div to 1st in successive seasons and kept them up for 2 seasons.  He took another small club, Sheffield united, up for a season.  Plus he got QPR up of course.  

No I'm right but I'll forgive you garymegson

My point wasn't about winning promotions it was more about time spent managing in the top flight and establishing a reputation outside England. Having got Notts Co and the pigs promoted they both got relegated immediately, and at QPR he was sacked half way through the first season with the team in the relegation zone I think.

So yes his record in the championship is very good, but at the top level, the level other people in Europe are more likely to take notice of, he's been a - now how can I put this - complete and utter failure.

1 hour ago, Lincs Owl said:

"That's the way to do it!"