Venancio- Why did he fail to get a look in under CC

3 hours ago, Indoor Owl said:

The worst manager in the Championship, but playing for promotion two years in a row?

Riiight

Considering the level of funding he received and the talent at his disposal, I'm of the opinion that failing to get promoted constitutes under-achievement.

I'm convinced Gray would have done a lot better had he been given the same resources, and he's not someone anyone would consider a "proven" manager. What success we've had over the past two seasons seems to have been in spite of Carlos, not because of him.

• Like 1

All comes back round to CC being scared to drop his favourites, in this case it being Loovens and even with Lees out injured he maybe felt like he had to play Van Aken to aid his development.

Venancio has looked ok so far but lets give him a few games under the new manager before we really see how he fits, certainly brings a much needed bit of pace and strength into the back unit. 

4 hours ago, Owlinmad said:

You do all realise that we will be reading the same things about our current manager in x number of years time don't you ?

when i first saw irvine i thought he was cautious, then i thought he was scared of change, finally i figured he was limited, but carlos has put a whole new meaning to 'limited'. he had very little, and hid his flaws behind bullsh*t, the only time i saw a plan B from him was when he effed off to swansea.

5 hours ago, handworth52 said:

trust me carlos is and was the worst manager in the championship ,its going to take upto 3 years to clear his mess up ,ie players contracts etc. just don't know why he wernt given boot a lot time ago ,would have made a new managers job a lot easier.

I wouldn't say he was the worst. We got to 2 play offs under him. No other Wednesday manager achieved this.

Behind the scenes I do agree. But someone should have been overseeing all of this.

Just now, WAWAWUTO17 said:

I wouldn't say he was the worst. We got to 2 play offs under him. No other Wednesday manager achieved this.

Behind the scenes I do agree. But someone should have been overseeing all of this.

DC is learning fast

I just hope that ALL these players who never, or rarely got a look in under Carlos, get their confidence back, & turn out to be great assets for the club. Not just for them, but for ALL of the squad knowing that If they let standards drop, then there's someone chomping at the bit. That was something we never had under Carlos, if you were in the crew, you played regardless of performance. 

For his sake I hope he plays out of his skin and we sign him in the summer.

Imagine how f00ked off you'd be choosing us over another club, then freezing your knackers off through winter watching a Sean Bean lookalike turn slower than an oil tanker.

9 hours ago, lancashireowl said:

He’s looked assured, composed and confident for me. Looks far better than Van Aken ( who I think will come good) and Loovens. Also, bigger clubs than us were interested at some points. Why on earth was he not near the starting 11?

Personally, I reckon he was always a 4th choice just as back-up. Only when the other 3 were injured / suspended did he get a look in.

The future Cannavaro of S6.

Ran the defence last night despite having 2 novices either side of him.

1 minute ago, The only way is S6 said:

Ran the defence last night despite having 2 novices either side of him.

Sign of a good leader.  

There was a reason why he was captain at his previous club.  

I think Fred will establish himself as a first team player this season.

1 hour ago, WAWAWUTO17 said:

we got two playoff failures under carlos because of the budget he got to work with,would he have got top 6 finishes with stevie may and nuhiu upfront

laws and gray would have got top 6 with the budget carlos had and It would have been better spent 

6 minutes ago, welsOwl74 said:

we got two playoff failures under carlos because of the budget he got to work with,would he have got top 6 finishes with stevie may and nuhiu upfront

laws and gray would have got top 6 with the budget carlos had and It would have been better spent 

Not sure any manager would get top 6 with May and Nuhiu up front (Gray didn't)...

Whatever anyone now says Carlos was one of our more successful managers. He and the squad massively over achieved to get to Wembley in year one. Yes I believe, we have wasted money since and signed the wrong players or rather failed to sign the right ones and yes I could have happily stuck pins in my eyes rather than watch the utter turgid shybo Carlos had us playing this season. But to say he was the worst manager in the league is ridiculous. 

11 minutes ago, welsOwl74 said:

Momentarily breaking my rule of not revisiting this tedious endless argument.

2015/16 season figures for the whole championship compared here:

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/ipswich-town-stuck-in-moment.html

8th for gross transfer spend, 16th for wages.

The picture probably changed a bit in 16/17, but we also finished higher then.

So maybe not?