Team for Friday

53 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Whether the OP knows the team or not I think the most important thing for me is that we do see some change to formation or personnel tomorrow. Clearly Jos was an obscure choice of manager but the minimum hope is that he will bring new ideas and tactics. If it’s the same team and 442 as in previous weeks then I think there will be a few melt downs on here at 7pm tomorrow

:carlosswfc:

It will be interesting but he can't do it all in a few days. It takes time for players to adapt to a new system, so he may well keep with what THEY know for the time being. Most of us understand that. Evolution not revolution. 

Just want to see us represented by 11 fit, (not just uninjured) committed players. (Don't know if we have 11!) If that includes some of the younger players so be it. 

(A bit tongue in cheek but we've looked so fooookin lethargic this season it's been ridiculous.)

2 minutes ago, doubleo said:

It will be interesting but he can't do it all in a few days. It takes time for players to adapt to a new system, so he may well keep with what THEY know for the time being. Most of us understand that. Evolution not revolution. 

I have a good feeling about this Jos fella.

I don't think he will overload the players with a new system just yet.

Oh, no. Its back to basics for this motley crew.

DEFINITION

An odd and often mismatched assortment of people/ a group of friends or teammates who don't seem like they'd work well together, but somehow they do.

33 minutes ago, vulva said:

It's not a game for the likes of Abdi, Clare, Penney etc. Our senior pros owe us a performance, and this game is their get out of jail card. 

Id play Dave up front, and play off him. 

I think our "senior pros" have had numerous "chances" i would go the other way and freshen things up personally.

Winston Churchill once described Russia as "A Puzzle within a conundrum" and that is what our squad is at the moment.

God knows what the tem will be on Friday, and he isn't telling, either way Jos is the only parson at Bramall Lane who is not under any pressure this time around.

Worrying bit for me is that apart from Loovens and Reach, the 11 is anybody's guess because none of the players available are in any form and actually deserve to be picked to start, no one stands out apart from the above 2 as guaranteed starters. Could be Westwood or Wildsmith, could be Hunt or Palmer, could be Fox or Pudil, Could be any of Abdi, Butterfield, Jones or Clare, could be any of Matias, Boyd or Wallace, could be any of Nuhiu, Joao or Rhodes. Literally nobody is a cert except Reach and Loovens

9 hours ago, Anlaby Owl said:

I would agree with you tea bags, if we are playing pinging balls to feet like under Carlos but JR would flourish (Imo) if supplied with unpredictable balls over the top into space, which would be provided by having nuihu sit deep (opponents always seem to think they have to stifle him with two or more, ganging up on him).  In my (probably flawed) opinion having Dave stay deep would pull defenders forward, and give JR space.

Only issue is Stephen Hawking would be able to catch Rhodes and get goal side if we manage to get a ball over the top. 

He just doesnae have the pace anymore. 

We need three in central midfield that’s for sure. 

Wildsmith

Palmer.            Vernancio.          Loovens.         Fox

Butterfield.                Jones

Abdi

Boyd.                                        Reach

Joao

4-5-1 when under pressure, turning into 4-3-3 on the counter.

Chuck Nuhiu & Rhodes on at the end if we are chasing it 

I think it would be interesting to see us play 3 at the back, we have the wing backs for the job and the back 3. The 2 midfielders would suit our current crop, where it gets hazy is upfront. Which 3? Who has pace for the wings? Who can hold the ball and let play pivot off him upfront? I think this formation is probably the way to go for 2/3rds of the team, But to make it work we need pace and strength upfront. We don't currently have that but it's 11th Jan, GO GET SOME PACE AND STRENGTH UPFRONT AND WIDE. We need this regardless of formation, go loan market and lower leagues because of FFP.

also throwing a mad prediction in........ Fessi fit kept a secret and is suddenly on the team sheet?????????? would fit 3-4-3 perfectly.

4 hours ago, Box_Man said:

We need three in central midfield that’s for sure. 

Wildsmith

Palmer.            Vernancio.          Loovens.         Fox

Butterfield.                Jones

Abdi

Boyd.                                        Reach

Joao

4-5-1 when under pressure, turning into 4-3-3 on the counter.

Chuck Nuhiu & Rhodes on at the end if we are chasing it 

Thats exactly the same as my team and think it'll be pretty close to what we get on the night.  Only other fit alternatives I can think of that we have are Pudil, Matias and Clare which its hard to justify finding a starting place for.

4 hours ago, tarn owl said:

I think it would be interesting to see us play 3 at the back, we have the wing backs for the job and the back 3. The 2 midfielders would suit our current crop, where it gets hazy is upfront. Which 3? Who has pace for the wings? Who can hold the ball and let play pivot off him upfront? I think this formation is probably the way to go for 2/3rds of the team, But to make it work we need pace and strength upfront. We don't currently have that but it's 11th Jan, GO GET SOME PACE AND STRENGTH UPFRONT AND WIDE. We need this regardless of formation, go loan market and lower leagues because of FFP.

also throwing a mad prediction in........ Fessi fit kept a secret and is suddenly on the team sheet?????????? would fit 3-4-3 perfectly.

If it was 3-4-3 on Friday would it be something like this?

Wildsmith

Venancio Looves Pudil

Palmer Butterfield Jones Reach

Boyd                  Matias

Joao

You could also just go with a standard 3-5-2 and have Rhodes up with Joao and Abdi in a midfield three.

13 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

If it was 3-4-3 on Friday would it be something like this?

Wildsmith

Venancio Looves Pudil

Palmer Butterfield Jones Reach

Boyd                  Matias

Joao

You could also just go with a standard 3-5-2 and have Rhodes up with Joao and Abdi in a midfield three.

To be fair I don't mind if the front 3 are spread out wide or in a diamond with abdi behind 2 up front, I think the main benefit of the formation is it gives freedom for the front 3 to find space and be flexible. For the other 7 though I think it would release our wing backs and provide lots of cover at the back.

I personally don't trust Matias, In the limited time I've seen him he looks broken. I would possibly go Wallace in this game, has scored goals in lots of big games, I would really want a young pacey right winger but as it's Thursday and we play tomorrow that won't happen.

I really think it might be time to go for this formation, I've preferred 4-3-3/4-5-1 for years, but with our current crop of players this might work better.