Dean Smith - next SWFC manager

Done very well at other clubs but without sounding to disrespectful the expectation and demand here would be so much bigger. Would be a gamble but he does seem to play exciting football at Brentford. Certainly a lot worse managers out there but i doubt someone like Smith would be a name that would ever cross the mind of DC.

4 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Done very well at other clubs but without sounding to disrespectful the expectation and demand here would be so much bigger. Would be a gamble but he does seem to play exciting football at Brentford. Certainly a lot worse managers out there but i doubt someone like Smith would be a name that would ever cross the mind of DC.

Whoever a club signs, Manager, Coach or player, it is always a gamble, but I feel that some one like Smith, Johnson, Cook etc have done their apprenticeships and are ready to move on and up.

Either way, I believe we will have to wait till May 2018.

It will never happen because he won't be "big" enough for our chairman and probably not the sort of manager he wants at the club. Maybe a bit presumptuous, but I just get that impression.

That said, Dean Smith is a fantastic manager with what he does. If he could get as much out of the players here that he does at Brentford we'd get promoted in our first full season with him in charge. The word of consequence is if. He has no experience at a "big" club and a lot of the atmosphere, expectations and experience of all aspects of the club (including players) will be different to his working environment at Brentford. Same job, very different challenge. 

But all good managers have had to take that step up sometime and he has exactly the sort of philosophies that we can be excused of being weak for the last couple of years... attacking play, not overspending, bringing through youth and (h)energy. And we're hardly a big 'step up' from Brentford these days anyway. If I were calling the shots he'd be my first choice. We wouldn't waste any more money on superfluous players that's for sure. They'd come into the matchday 18 and they'd improve month on month as they get developed by good coaching. At least we'd have the satisfaction of seeing our players grow into better footballers 

Edited by StudentOwl
  • Like 1

Guest Bulgaria
38 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Be amazed if we went for a British manager when CC goes.

i agree.

More chance of me being in charge than DC hiring a British manager.... aint fashionable is it

1 hour ago, bazapeps said:

Whilst the majority agree that we need new direction, it seems a large voice keeps saying that there is no else available.

Personally I think that smacks of arrogance, that fans feel there are no other suitable candidates that can progress us (surely it wouldn't be difficult at present). There are managers out there with good experience - Lambert, Davies, Pardew et al, all managers with experience of promotion. Elsewhere you have the likes of Paul Hurst and Paul Cook, with excellent lower league records, who appear ready for the step up.

The most obvious choice for me at present is Dean Smith. I fully expect to be shot down as he's not a 'fashionable' name but he's worked wonders at Walsall and Brentford. He plays open attractive football, his teams score goals, he develops youth, has an eye for talent, seems to the type to take no bull and most importantly gets the very best out of the players he has (the opposite of our manager). He's consistently had his teams over achieving based on the financial budgets he's worked with. His experience at Hillsborough as a player can only help too.

bang on the money!! it's a yes from me ...

He was a rubbish player for us. Hmmm, this could just work.

Not particularly impressive ex players who did a great job as SWFC manager - Howard Wilkinson

Good ex players who were a mixed bag as SWFC manager before ultimately failing - Derek Dooley, Trevor Francis, Gary Megson (depending on the poster, Meggo might also be placed in either of the other categories!)

Good ex players who were rubbish as SWFC manager - Peter Eustace, Danny Wilson, Chris Turner

We won’t be looking for anyone until the end of the season and even then I could see him being given another one. I’m convinced that when there’s a parting of the ways it’ll be Carlos’ decision to go.

As for replacements as well as Smith, Johnson and Heckingbottom are doing elsewhere at the moment, it’s different working here and the challenge and expectations may be too much for some.

Edited by Great Big Galaa

1 hour ago, bazapeps said:

Whilst the majority agree that we need new direction, it seems a large voice keeps saying that there is no else available.

Personally I think that smacks of arrogance, that fans feel there are no other suitable candidates that can progress us (surely it wouldn't be difficult at present). There are managers out there with good experience - Lambert, Davies, Pardew et al, all managers with experience of promotion. Elsewhere you have the likes of Paul Hurst and Paul Cook, with excellent lower league records, who appear ready for the step up.

The most obvious choice for me at present is Dean Smith. I fully expect to be shot down as he's not a 'fashionable' name but he's worked wonders at Walsall and Brentford. He plays open attractive football, his teams score goals, he develops youth, has an eye for talent, seems to the type to take no bull and most importantly gets the very best out of the players he has (the opposite of our manager). He's consistently had his teams over achieving based on the financial budgets he's worked with. His experience at Hillsborough as a player can only help too.

And therein lies the problem.

1 hour ago, malek said:

I enjoy watching Brentford play, and whenever I see them can't help but thinking how Smith would walk the league with squad like ours.

Almost like we recruited to suit style of football that his teams have been playing.

Words taken out of my mouth. Was very impressed with them when they played us earlier on in the season, a game where had they finished chances they could have been 5 nil up at half time. 

Squad with our talent you can only expect that he’d get them firing 

Those two are both at clubs that have a Moneyball team behind them for Recruitment.

They'd wanna bring 'em but no way are Doyen having some Stats nerds buying players.

Mutch better to have your client/ puppet Carlos in the club buying players you suggest.

That way, you can also get a fee from selling club and / or move in another client (eg Joao). 

If Carlos is ever disposed of...

Paul Lambert and Dean Smith would be very high on my managerial shortlist.

Lambert has proven himself at various levels, has promotion on his CV and has set teams up previously to mix it up a bit. Very versatile manager.

Dean Smith, like Lambert, has done the hard miles in League One, and is now proving himself to be a very adept manager at this level. Has Brentford very well organised and play some brilliant football. Has a good network and structure behind him at Brentford, which he won't have here however.

Interestingly enough, the manager I think we'd appoint, if Carlos ever leaves, Paula Fonseca, has been linked to the Everton job this week. He's a Doyen client, currently working at Shahktar Donetsk (where Joe Palmer has worked previously) and Portuguese. Would fit the remit Carlos previously fit.

Edited by frastheowl

Would love him here but like said previously, I don't think the players at his disposal here would suit his style of play. Maybe the centre midfielders wouldn't need changing Woods and Yennaris or Bannan and Lee is pretty much as you were, but where he has Ollie Watkins, Canos, Sawyers, Jozefoon, Vibe, Maupay has his attacking options we have Wallace, Fletcher, Hooper, Rhodes. Miles apart in terms of what he looks for in a side