Dean Smith - next SWFC manager

28 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

If Carlos is ever disposed of...

Paul Lambert and Dean Smith would be very high on my managerial shortlist.

Lambert has proven himself at various levels, has promotion on his CV and has set teams up previously to mix it up a bit. Very versatile manager.

Dean Smith, like Lambert, has done the hard miles in League One, and is now proving himself to be a very adept manager at this level. Has Brentford very well organised and play some brilliant football. Has a good network and structure behind him at Brentford, which he won't have here however.

Interestingly enough, the manager I think we'd appoint, if Carlos ever leaves, Paula Fonseca, has been linked to the Everton job this week. He's a Doyen client, currently working at Shahktar Donetsk (where Joe Palmer has worked previously) and Portuguese. Would fit the remit Carlos previously fit.

10 clubs in 12 years ,suppose its better than carlos lol 

I quite like Dean Smith Seems quite happy to let the owner choose the players as well, so could be a good fit We are a much bigger club than any other club he’s managed, so there’s a worry there

Edited by gurujuan

2 hours ago, bazapeps said:

Whilst the majority agree that we need new direction, it seems a large voice keeps saying that there is no else available.

Personally I think that smacks of arrogance, that fans feel there are no other suitable candidates that can progress us (surely it wouldn't be difficult at present). There are managers out there with good experience - Lambert, Davies, Pardew et al, all managers with experience of promotion. Elsewhere you have the likes of Paul Hurst and Paul Cook, with excellent lower league records, who appear ready for the step up.

The most obvious choice for me at present is Dean Smith. I fully expect to be shot down as he's not a 'fashionable' name but he's worked wonders at Walsall and Brentford. He plays open attractive football, his teams score goals, he develops youth, has an eye for talent, seems to the type to take no bull and most importantly gets the very best out of the players he has (the opposite of our manager). He's consistently had his teams over achieving based on the financial budgets he's worked with. His experience at Hillsborough as a player can only help too.

Excellent OP and good shout. 

However, I think Carlos is here for the season and I think we will go abroad again for our new head coach. 

Dean Smith would be a good appointment tho. Like you say, I really enjoy watching Brentford play and that's how I want Wednesday to play. 

40 minutes ago, WorrallOwl17 said:

Would love him here but like said previously, I don't think the players at his disposal here would suit his style of play. Maybe the centre midfielders wouldn't need changing Woods and Yennaris or Bannan and Lee is pretty much as you were, but where he has Ollie Watkins, Canos, Sawyers, Jozefoon, Vibe, Maupay has his attacking options we have Wallace, Fletcher, Hooper, Rhodes. Miles apart in terms of what he looks for in a side

I bet if you gave Smith the opportunity to swap our attacking talent for there's. He would think all his Christmas's were coming at once.

Edited by pazowl55

2 hours ago, bazapeps said:

Whilst the majority agree that we need new direction, it seems a large voice keeps saying that there is no else available.

Personally I think that smacks of arrogance, that fans feel there are no other suitable candidates that can progress us (surely it wouldn't be difficult at present). There are managers out there with good experience - Lambert, Davies, Pardew et al, all managers with experience of promotion. Elsewhere you have the likes of Paul Hurst and Paul Cook, with excellent lower league records, who appear ready for the step up.

The most obvious choice for me at present is Dean Smith. I fully expect to be shot down as he's not a 'fashionable' name but he's worked wonders at Walsall and Brentford. He plays open attractive football, his teams score goals, he develops youth, has an eye for talent, seems to the type to take no bull and most importantly gets the very best out of the players he has (the opposite of our manager). He's consistently had his teams over achieving based on the financial budgets he's worked with. His experience at Hillsborough as a player can only help too.

The problem is that he would have to guarantee promotion in his first two seasons if not the first.  The fans are now demanding this.  Would an upcoming manager risk his career with such a move?

I agree that he sounds a reasonable choice much better than your other nominations who seem to be on the Championship merry go round.

For me dare I say it?

Keep... 

20 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

I bet if you gave Smith the opportunity to swap our attacking talent for there's. He would think all his Christmas's were coming at once.

All his striking options can run at players, only Joao and Forestieri of ours can

• Like 1

2 hours ago, owlZfan84 said:

The side he's built at Brentford is everything we aren't.

Young, hungry, fast and dynamic.

I'd have him here, but would he have the tools to play the way he wants to?

I doubt it.

He'd have to have a major overhaul of the squad IMO.

And he lost alot of good players in the summer!

21 minutes ago, Watson said:

The problem is that he would have to guarantee promotion in his first two seasons if not the first.  The fans are now demanding this.  Would an upcoming manager risk his career with such a move?

I agree that he sounds a reasonable choice much better than your other nominations who seem to be on the Championship merry go round.

For me dare I say it?

Keep... 

Don’t agree with the first bit.

I’d settle for watching fast, energetic committed players. Personally not that bothered if we go up or not

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
10 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

All his striking options can run at players, only Joao and Forestieri of ours can

Problem with Joao is that his running at players too often results in him running straight into them and loss of possession.

I love this site.

We have spent 17.5 of the last 20 years being managed terribly by British managers.  Perhaps the biggest culprits of the lot being ex players Turner and Wilson.  We have often gone for those small club over achievers - Turner at Hartlepool, Jewell from Bradford, Irvine ex Preston, Sturrock ex Plymouth, Laws from Scunthorpe, Wilson from Barnsley.

We then get a foreign fella in who has actually managed some proper clubs in top flight leagues - and lo and behold we finish in the top 6 two seasons on the trot. 

Last season ALL 6 of the top 6 clubs in our league had non British managers.

And so our conclusion from all that is - lets get a manager who finished beneath us in the league both of the last 2 seasons, and is a British ex player.

I'd love to smoke some of the stuff people smoke on this site.  Dean Smith FFS.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, bazapeps said:

Was listening to the radio the other day and they were talking about managers who deserve a chance and his name was mentioned as a manager who is very underrated and should be on premiership clubs radar.