Naming rights for the stadium

On 05/11/2017 at 10:03, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

Always seemed like a no brainer to me. With a ground with as much history as ours, no one would use it anyway so why not.

Isn't St James' Park sponsored? Who ever calls it by its sponsor name.

100% right.

Everybody calls Pride Park , Pride park in Derby and there have been at least a couple of sponsors recently.

A simple straight forward way to make money with little cost and no risk.get it done.

2 minutes ago, Geedee said:

100% right.

Everybody calls Pride Park , Pride park in Derby and there have been at least a couple of sponsors recently.

A simple straight forward way to make money with little cost and no risk.get it done.

I think even though it's sponsored they've gone back to officially calling it Pride Park this year.

However even when it had the daft name (was it Ipro or summat?) we noticed every time we went that the direction sign at the station still always said Pride Park on it.

14 minutes ago, alanharper said:

I think even though it's sponsored they've gone back to officially calling it Pride Park this year.

However even when it had the daft name (was it Ipro or summat?) we noticed every time we went that the direction sign at the station still always said Pride Park on it.

Still the Ipro I think for this season until it reverts back

3 hours ago, alanharper said:

Pride Park is the area where the ground is, every business in that area is on pride park 

On 11/6/2017 at 07:24, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Could someone in theory pay for sponsorship but have their sponsored name as Hillsborough?

Yes.  As long as the revenue comes from another source - at least arm's length.

Not EFL related obviously, but when the new CSU stadium opened here this year, a local entity paid to ensure the field would still be named after a former coach - and not bastardized with the name of a corporate sponsor.  The local entity paid serious money for this - and could have had their own name there.  But they didn't.  They wanted to respect the history. 

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

3 hours ago, Neal M said:

Yes.  As long as the revenue comes from another source - at least arm's length.

Not EFL related obviously, but when the new CSU stadium opened here this year, a local entity paid to ensure the field would still be named after a former coach - and not bastardized with the name of a corporate sponsor.  The local entity paid serious money for this - and could have had their own name there.  But they didn't.  They wanted to respect the history. 

I await the news that Mr Dave Chancery of Vere Road is paying several million quid for the ground to be called Hillsborough.  

On 26/10/2017 at 12:29, tarn owl said:

Reading the bullet points of the steering group this morning on the stars website from Dom Howson. One bullet point was that the idea of naming rights to the stadium, and the fact the club don't like the idea.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-key-points-covered-in-owls-supporter-steering-group-meeting-1-8824229

*Wednesday played down the prospect of naming rights for the stadium.

For me I wouldn't mind changing the stadium name if it meant more investment and more money to get around FFP. It would certainly put less pressure on the club to bring out schemes like the 1867 membership and increase ticket prices.

I believe Man City use their sponsorship to get around FFP through the Etihad deal. Because we all call it Hillsborough I don't see what impact it would have on anyone except the club gets more money.

Would love to know how people feel about this and whether it is just me that thinks this.

Same here, it will always be Hillsborough, couldn't give two hoots what secondary name it is given provided it boosts the income.

On 06/11/2017 at 10:39, alanharper said:

That's because the football stadium is situated in Pride Park Business Park.

• Haha 1