Naming rights for the stadium

Reading the bullet points of the steering group this morning on the stars website from Dom Howson. One bullet point was that the idea of naming rights to the stadium, and the fact the club don't like the idea.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-key-points-covered-in-owls-supporter-steering-group-meeting-1-8824229

*Wednesday played down the prospect of naming rights for the stadium.

For me I wouldn't mind changing the stadium name if it meant more investment and more money to get around FFP. It would certainly put less pressure on the club to bring out schemes like the 1867 membership and increase ticket prices.

I believe Man City use their sponsorship to get around FFP through the Etihad deal. Because we all call it Hillsborough I don't see what impact it would have on anyone except the club gets more money.

Would love to know how people feel about this and whether it is just me that thinks this.

From the steering group minutes thread...

"he hasn’t ruled out naming rights for the stadium"

Just another conflicting report of what was actually said it seems. Not sure why the steering group can't be streamed live tbh. 

• Like 1

If it's a way for us to strengthen the side within FFP limits, then I would be in favour of it.

The key word in that sentence however is "strengthen". If we are going to use it to sign more players in their 30's who are going to spend their time going from the treatment room to the bench and vice versa, then I really don't see  the point.

The income from the stadium naming would be useful. But if the owner is serious about promoting the Sheffield Wednesday brand across the world, then the re-name is essential. As a traditionalist, I'd hate to see our stadium name go but googling 'Hillsborough' gives you hundreds of powerful reasons why our re-name would be a vital part in improving our image and marketing potential overseas.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RichieB said:

From the steering group minutes thread...

"he hasn’t ruled out naming rights for the stadium"

Just another conflicting report of what was actually said it seems. Not sure why the steering group can't be streamed live tbh. 

I did think that just saying no was a bit strange when they are saying we need to increase revenue to beat FFP and get promoted. Get it done I say, no one is going to say 'just off to the Motorpoint stadium' they'll still say 'just off to Hillsborough. So what if Jeff Stelling and co have to say it. We don't.

5 minutes ago, Ronseal said:

The Chansiri Stadium would be my guess

I think that would be the best way for them to get around FFP If he wants to pump in more of his own money. If he doesn't have the money then a 3rd party would be fine as would still generate extra income.

44 minutes ago, tarn owl said:

Reading the bullet points of the steering group this morning on the stars website from Dom Howson. One bullet point was that the idea of naming rights to the stadium, and the fact the club don't like the idea.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-key-points-covered-in-owls-supporter-steering-group-meeting-1-8824229

*Wednesday played down the prospect of naming rights for the stadium.

For me I wouldn't mind changing the stadium name if it meant more investment and more money to get around FFP. It would certainly put less pressure on the club to bring out schemes like the 1867 membership and increase ticket prices.

I believe Man City use their sponsorship to get around FFP through the Etihad deal. Because we all call it Hillsborough I don't see what impact it would have on anyone except the club gets more money.

Would love to know how people feel about this and whether it is just me that thinks this.

PRESTRONAS !