Naming rights for the stadium

3 hours ago, tarn owl said:

Derby County in 2013 named their stadium the Ipro stadium for a 10 year £7 Million deal. With inflation we may get £10 Million so £1 Million a year. I think for the sake of the name of the stadium it's worth it.

If those are the figures, would be an idea offering the supporters opportunity to contribute towards sponsoring the ground or a stand they sit in, £1m only takes £50 from 20,000 and we have 21,000 season ticket holders. Better than the 1867 membership thing IMO. 

If the club offered another tier of membership to include a £50 contribution towards sponsoring a stand which would have some community involvement, i.e. some free school tickets or subsidised tickets for low income supporters would be an option, indeed sponsoring a stand may not infringe on stadium sponsorship and create extra income?

2 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

Aye, then Thai Union put out a statement denying any link to purchase of Sheffield Wednesday and Reading Football Club, then that backdrop disappeared pretty damn quick. :ph34r:

Yes, but that picture remains forever. It's all a bit bizarre...

Man City trouser £20m a season from calling their stadium the Etihad stadium, Arsenal have the Emirates Stadium, Newcastle Stadium the Direct Sport stadium. Two of these Premier League teams are sponsored by the chairman's company we are missing a trick and have been for 3 season.

We could be within the laws of the game have been putting £3m + of the directors money into the club without any issues. Instead the fans pay higher prices and ridiculous merchandise prices to keep within FFP

4 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Man City trouser £20m a season from calling their stadium the Etihad stadium, Arsenal have the Emirates Stadium, Newcastle Stadium the Direct Sport stadium. Two of these Premier League teams are sponsored by the chairman's company we are missing a trick and have been for 3 season.

We could be within the laws of the game have been putting £3m + of the directors money into the club without any issues. Instead the fans pay higher prices and ridiculous merchandise prices to keep within FFP

Maybe ffp is a red herring..maybe dc doesnt want or cant afford to keep bankrolling us..who knows? The chansiri family might have thought flip this we are losing money hand over fist..nobody knows

13 minutes ago, Almat said:

Yes, but that picture remains forever. It's all a bit bizarre...

The other thing that should appear bizarre to those that still hang onto the Thai Union link is in all of the time that Dejphon Chansiri has been Chairman, there have been no quotes in the public arena from any of the main guys at the PLC and no evidence that any of them have ever visited the club. DC is only a minor shareholder of the Thai Union Group and only he along with a few Thai business associates have been seen anywhere near the club. You would think, would you not, that if there was a link between Thai Union and the club, there would have been more obvious representation somewhere? 

1 hour ago, adelphi1867 said:

How many players over 30 have we signed?.

Straight off the top of my head we’ve given contracts to Westwood, Loovens, Pudil, Fletcher, Abdi, Wallace, Boyd and I think Jones. Possibly more.

Not saying they’re all bad but I think it’s bad planning to have so many players over 30 with such low resale value. Also as players get older they are more prone to getting injuries and take longer to recover when they are injured.

The whole Almen Abdi situation is a joke, especially considering we spent £4m on him. If we’re renaming the stadium to make more signings like that we might as well not bother.

On 26/10/2017 at 12:41, wilfsmith said:

The income from the stadium naming would be useful. But if the owner is serious about promoting the Sheffield Wednesday brand across the world, then the re-name is essential. As a traditionalist, I'd hate to see our stadium name go but googling 'Hillsborough' gives you hundreds of powerful reasons why our re-name would be a vital part in improving our image and marketing potential overseas.

Good point Wilf. So I am all in favour of renaming Hillsborough Stadium to The Sheffield Wednesday Hillsborough Stadium.

Won't make much difference. After all, The Flavian Ampitheatre was renamed The Colliseum by the invading tribes but the Italians who wander around near it still call it "You like my sister, boss?":laugh:

• Haha 3

On 26/10/2017 at 12:41, wilfsmith said:

The income from the stadium naming would be useful. But if the owner is serious about promoting the Sheffield Wednesday brand across the world, then the re-name is essential. As a traditionalist, I'd hate to see our stadium name go but googling 'Hillsborough' gives you hundreds of powerful reasons why our re-name would be a vital part in improving our image and marketing potential overseas.

It’s sad to push Hillsborough into the background but yes I have thought this for a while.