Should our next manager be BAME/LGBT?

13 minutes ago, dr. benway said:

I won't disagree that as a species we have a tendency to make things difficult! But regarding legislation, haven't we been doing this for centuries, making laws to try and improve the lives of everyone for the better, right back to the Ten Commandments, if not before? I can't say that it always works, but surely it's better than the alternative of no attempt at protecting or helping the less fortunate?

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that someone should be given a job out of love and no qualifications—what I meant in my comment was regarding women who were both perfectly qualified and would love to do the job, but felt they were unable to because they had pre-supposed (often based on bitter experience) that they would be unwelcome.

Exactly, and this is the foundation of that most incendiary of contemporary words, "privilege". I'm presuming you are male? Same as me, and therefore we naturally don't perceive gender discrimination as as big of a problem, because we so often are not on the receiving end of it—this is the privilege that we enjoy. As for not working in a place where women were discriminated against, I hope that's true because it would be a fantastic achievement in a world where abuse and discrimination are rampant. I'm considering something like the current "#metoo" campaign as a reminder of exactly how widespread a problem we're dealing with (and admit that I'm starting to blur the line between discrimination and abuse—but only because if there is a campaign to expose how endemic one is, it doesn't seem too much of a leap to suggest that the other is also as common).

I am male but even then it is disected . The taller the male the more earning power he has . In studies the top jobs generally go to tall males so even then there is discrimination as if you are short it can prove to be a glass ceiling based purely on height .  Like I said I can only go on my personal experience, even in the eighties my supervisor was female and my second job my manager was and both very good at their job . That's not to say if I was female that I would feel the same . You can not get away from the fact that generally women are more empathetic and men are stronger so there is always going to be a bias in jobs where those attributes are central to the role . That's not to say that a six foot bloke isn't really empathetic or that a woman isn't strong as an ox but when you are employing you have a few minutes to make a decision so you are generally going to employ based on attributes of the majority . I will now go and look up metoo :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, cross owl said:

I am male but even then it is disected . The taller the male the more earning power he has . In studies the top jobs generally go to tall males so even then there is discrimination as if you are short it can prove to be a glass ceiling based purely on height .  Like I said I can only go on my personal experience, even in the eighties my supervisor was female and my second job my manager was and both very good at their job . That's not to say if I was female that I would feel the same . You can not get away from the fact that generally women are more empathetic and men are stronger so there is always going to be a bias in jobs where those attributes are central to the role . That's not to say that a six foot bloke isn't really empathetic or that a woman isn't strong as an ox but when you are employing you have a few minutes to make a decision so you are generally going to employ based on attributes of the majority . I will now go and look up metoo :ph34r:

I'd agree with that, definitely, and I'd certainly agree that on the whole men are physically stronger than women and that this doesn't have to be a controversial or even discriminatory statement. But for me the last part about "employing based on the attributes of the majority" is why I support the idea of "over-balancing" as a way of reducing that effect—the more women in a given field, the less I would be inclined to think that the field has a set of default attributes and act (often unconsciously) on them.

But I think we're probably largely in agreement! And as for the #metoo campaign, be prepared—if you have a wife, a daughter or any other woman you care about in your life it can make for rough reading.

6 hours ago, torres said:

I would be fuming if we appointed a woman and so would 99.9% of wednesday fans.

If no one else wants to be honest then fair enough.

Although . . .she might be able to knit us up a kit pretty sharpish. so i'm all for it!! (JOKE!!)

And the kit would need ironing

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

Why should we have to give somone the job just because of gender, ethnicity or sexual persuasion over a more experienced candidate? 

If those mentioned above worked their way up and gained league experience and did well, then fair play to them as candidates, but none has any management experience in this league or played here in this league apart from Campbell. They shouldn't get a free ride to a good job just because of what they are. Descrimination runs both ways. 

How would you feel truly if you were say pardew or Megson with bags of experience at this level and above worked your way up,  and the chairman says, sorry we're going to hire one of the above just becouse of your reasons stated?? 

Tell me more about this BAME/ LGBT candidate  lol

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, David1867 said:

Just a thought, should we be looking to lead the way with equality in football? 

We we have never had a first team coach or manager from the BAME or LGBT community now is the time to change this. 

Below are 3 BAME to throw into the mix. 

Sol Campbell, a risk but has played at the highest level and wants to manage.

Hope Powell, international experience, currently in charge at Brighton women's so will have tapped into Chris Hutons knowledge. 

Kiatisuk Senamuang, record goal scorer for Thailand so obviously a legend in his own country plus has decent managerial experience in his own right. 

Surely one of those letters must stand for whatever David Pleat was into...?

• Haha 1