Joost van Aken

Just now, Earlsfieldowl said:

It's one game - he can only really start to be judged properly after at least 5.

Tougher tests than a suprisingly limp Forest await.

This

Okay debut. At fault for their goal but pretty solid for rest of the game. 5.5/10

1 minute ago, meadowview owl said:

Cracking, a Wednesday favourite in the making quite clearly 

Until he has a few bad games, his inexperience and youth shows through in his odd mistakes and the fans turn on him because they have put too much expectation on his shoulders?

Give the lad time FFS.

I suspect Lees and van Aken will be the first choice pairing for the rest of the season, despite what the naysayers may be saying

The key is, as has been alluded to, to not get on his back every time he makes a mistake. 30 minutes into his English debut he makes an error, yes, but it's 30 minutes into his English debut ffs, there's bound to be the odd mistake here and there. And we've seen Lees make worse a mistake than that in his time here. We should have patience for him to reach his potential, but we should get used to seeing his name in the teamsheet. Give him a chance and he's shown today that he's got enough in his locker to repay us with good performances 

2 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I suspect Lees and van Aken will be the first choice pairing for the rest of the season, despite what the naysayers may be saying

The key is, as has been alluded to, to not get on his back every time he makes a mistake. 30 minutes into his English debut he makes an error, yes, but it's 30 minutes into his English debut ffs, there's bound to be the odd mistake here and there. And we've seen Lees make worse a mistake than that in his time here. We should have patience for him to reach his potential, but we should get used to seeing his name in the teamsheet. Give him a chance and he's shown today that he's got enough in his locker to repay us with good performances 

Quite

But defenders don't ultimately get judged on the strength of their distribution - it's on the strength of their defending

And much, much sterner tests await in that regard

That will be the time to judge

Just now, scram said:

Quite

But defenders don't ultimately get judged on the strength of their distribution - it's on the strength of their defending

Aye, that it will... Forest had some clever movement and pace on the counter, but beyond that they offered very little else. Will be interesting to see what happens when you add central pace or physicality to that sort of attack whether he can put in a similar level of performance. 

Just now, scram said:

Quite

Youre a footballing man Scram. In my humble opinion he was being drawn out of position quite often, leaving Lees to cover two players. He didn't get tight enough when needed either, he kept looking to be a yard off his man (where a better standard of player would have turned him or laid off but Forest players didn't seem to be taking advantage of the gaps).

Thoughts?

8 minutes ago, Will69 said:

Youre a footballing man Scram. In my humble opinion he was being drawn out of position quite often, leaving Lees to cover two players. He didn't get tight enough when needed either, he kept looking to be a yard off his man (where a better standard of player would have turned him or laid off but Forest players didn't seem to be taking advantage of the gaps).

Thoughts?

I know we won't change a system now, but i would really like to see him in the middle of a 3-5-2 with loovens and lees either side of him for that experience. Have reach and hunt/wallace as wing backs with bannan lee and jones in the middle and hooper and fletcher up top. The players we have really seem to suit a 3-5-2 system. P.s great win today.

14 minutes ago, Will69 said:

Thoughts?

If i'm honest i thought we got a bit lazy out of possession - not unnaturally given the circumstances

Maybe the lack of a strong screen in front of the defence made him hesitant and maybe lacking confidence in his (and/or team mates) positioning?

And of course its a new country, league and intensity of play - all have to be factored in

I don't think Forest were capable of exploiting any gaps - they were a shambles

Cannot really judge JVA in that game - tougher and sterner tests await - see how he copes then to get a better idea of his capability for this league

Their goal wasn't the fault of our defending.

It was execution of the highest standard.

VA had a good game for his first.

He's very much defence minded and not afraid to try a pass.

He doesn't bring the ball out but looks to have the ability once his confidence grows.

I noticed Westwood liked him.