Joost van Aken

5 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Their goal wasn't the fault of our defending.

It was execution of the highest standard.

VA had a good game for his first.

He's very much defence minded and not afraid to try a pass.

He doesn't bring the ball out but looks to have the ability once his confidence grows.

I noticed Westwood liked him.

He seemed to have a decent rapport with a number of our players and wasn't afraid to go and have a word with Bannan about positioning. His maturity for someone on their debut was quite impressive.

6 minutes ago, Reallondonowl said:

He seemed to have a decent rapport with a number of our players and wasn't afraid to go and have a word with Bannan about positioning. His maturity for someone on their debut was quite impressive.

Could be a good un.

I noticed that hooper, Bannan, Fletcher and Bullen were having a big go.

Hope the lad can enforce his character.

51 minutes ago, scram said:

If i'm honest i thought we got a bit lazy out of possession - not unnaturally given the circumstances

Maybe the lack of a strong screen in front of the defence made him hesitant and maybe lacking confidence in his (and/or team mates) positioning?

And of course its a new country, league and intensity of play - all have to be factored in

I don't think Forest were capable of exploiting any gaps - they were a shambles

Cannot really judge JVA in that game - tougher and sterner tests await - see how he copes then to get a better idea of his capability for this league

Cheers mate, appreciated.

2 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Has to stay on his feet for the goal when Osborn advances to the box. He's a step away when he jumps in. 

Other than that. Looked very promising. 

Yep must agree with that.

Looked composed and able to spot a forward pass. Well done to him

1 minute ago, crookesowl said:

Loovens = slow sideways pass, just about reaching the target. 

Van Aken = long ball or dribble or cutting pass through midfield. 

He going to be a MASSIVE player for us I have no doubt.  

Although tbf - Loovens over 100's of games has proved to be a defensive stalwart of high reliability

Where JVA over 1 game has been shown to have made a bad defensive decision leading to a goal (though not entirely his fault) - but he can play a pass when not under any pressure

Just now, scram said:

Although tbf - Loovens over 100's of games has proved to be a defensive stalwart of high reliability

Where JVA over 1 game has been shown to have made a bad defensive decision leading to a goal (though not entirely his fault) - but he can play a pass when not under any pressure

I see your point and the jury is out as to his defensive capability I guess, but we needed someone who can get us on the front foot.

But lets face it, the pace of the game and the slow, sideways passing that seems to irk our fans so much has Loovens at he heart. 

Thats not meant to be a dig at Loovens by the way, he is very good at what he does. But we need more. 

I initially thought he was at fault for the goal, but I'm not so sure having seen replays.  He would never have got there staying on his feet, so the only option he had was to dive in.  For me Lees was more at fault as he had been drawn out and Van Aken had to come round to try and cover.

Very impressive debut though whether he was at fault or not.

He'll be gutted he was at fault for the goal - but he wasn't alone. Lets hope he learns that sliding in around the box is a no-no. Clearly hits a good cross field ball, imagine, just imagine if we had a quick right winger to run on to them... (no disrespect RW). Looks taylor made to play alongside TL.