Joost van Aken

20 hours ago, scram said:

Bannan doesn't drop deep solely to distribute the ball

He does it to give us reinforcement in the middle of the pitch deep in our defensive 3rd so the CB's can split and the FB's play higher - he acts as what was once termed "the pivot" - ironically more suited to a 3-5-2 formation

It's a CC tactic and i don't see it changing

Also it's nonsense to think we can play against every team the way we did against a Forest team who did a lot of our work for us

However it's a great option to have a defender who can not only spot a threatening pass - but deliver it as well

Think you are being a bit harsh on Forest. Yes they were poor out of possession but we started really well and could easily have been 3 up before we scored, which forced them to change shape. They have had a fair start to the season and in the likes of Brereton, Osborn and McKay they have some decent young players and offered good movement in attack but didn't have a focal point to play off. We will come up against far more organised teams but credit where it's due, we played well on Saturday.

On 9/9/2017 at 19:59, scram said:

Would have made no difference if he'd stayed on his feet - Osborne's pace was too much

I don't think he could have got the ball because he was on his heels and too slow to react initially to the danger

We can put it down to being unused to the pace of the game in the championship - but going to ground as he did could have seen him off - and penalty

It would have been harsh to give away a penalty for a challenge outside the area but it was rash and he shouldn't have let Osborn get the initial run on him.

His was the main fault in the goal but when the players regrouped to kick-off Bannan was having a right pop at Lees and on seeing it back you can see that he gets dragged to far across making a big gap on that side of the pitch although we should really have had a midfielder to shield that kind of opening as well. Westwood will also be disappointed to get beat at the near post.

Fair play to Forest though for good movement and exploiting the space.

Van Aken looked comfortable passing and carrying the ball, which Loovens for all his defensive attributes doesn't. The bigger test will come when he gets a physical confrontation from a striker which is why I was a bit surprised Forest didn't give Murphy more time.

7 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Think you are being a bit harsh on Forest. Yes they were poor out of possession but we started really well and could easily have been 3 up before we scored, which forced them to change shape. They have had a fair start to the season and in the likes of Brereton, Osborn and McKay they have some decent young players and offered good movement in attack but didn't have a focal point to play off. We will come up against far more organised teams but credit where it's due, we played well on Saturday.

I certainly thought they could have scored 2 or 3 on Saturday and that they exposed us far more than I was happy with. I guess we won't always be as open. 

Joost had to deal with plenty of movement and the enigma that is Murphy late on too. I agree he'll have tougher games but probably get easier ones too. 

On 11/09/2017 at 19:01, hirstyboywonder said:

It would have been harsh to give away a penalty for a challenge outside the area but it was rash and he shouldn't have let Osborn get the initial run on him.

His was the main fault in the goal but when the players regrouped to kick-off Bannan was having a right pop at Lees and on seeing it back you can see that he gets dragged to far across making a big gap on that side of the pitch although we should really have had a midfielder to shield that kind of opening as well. Westwood will also be disappointed to get beat at the near post.

Fair play to Forest though for good movement and exploiting the space.

Van Aken looked comfortable passing and carrying the ball, which Loovens for all his defensive attributes doesn't. The bigger test will come when he gets a physical confrontation from a striker which is why I was a bit surprised Forest didn't give Murphy more time.

Well done you didn't get carried away

Some predictions in here way off the mark lol