Joost van Aken

Like him a lot , possibly be better in a back 3 , as other people have said he has far sterner tests in front of him but he could not get a better peer than Glen loovens to pass his experience on to the lad . 

Reminded me of Siggi Johnson's debut , think that was against Forrest( away) as well 

9 hours ago, westy365owl said:

Did anyone else see him blocking off lees from a forest corner near the end , only for lees to ball him for it lol

I saw that JVA with his arms round Lees neck. Lees wasn't pleased. It was funny shows he's not afraid to get physical I suppose just needs to be careful but I suppose he can't give away a penalty if he holds back one of his own players. 

Other than that really impressive debut. He will face sterner test but hopefully we have found a gem

Clearly has an excellent range of passing. His natural balance as a left centre half gave Reach more confidence, he fitted straight into the defence and didn't look out of place.

Yes he switched off for the goal but so did about three others. A nice run and a nice pass shouldn't take out the whole midfield. Lees had got too far over, JVA was slow to react to that, no one went with the runner and Westwood was beaten too easily. 

Looked good to me. Once he gets to know everyone's games bit better he could look like a steal.

Just now, NYCOWL said:

This is probably naive question from someone who in no way professes to be an expert on football.

But if this lad can pass, will it stop Bannan playing 20 yards too deep?

Yes !

As I posted earlier, I think that he can pass out well avoiding the need for Bannan and others to drop back and receive which means they can play more telling balls through such as the one to Hooper (albeit different context). His pass to Wallace who dunked it on to Hunt who ran through clear was described as sublime football which I totally agree with.  Exciting addition.

We look to have a player on our hands his passing is better than we could have got had we gone English and he looked composed and comfortable when defending 

could be our best signing in years as he could be around for years or we could make a huge profit on him early days I know but the signs are very good and could be even better suited to premier league football 

Future captain/leader. Said it on here after the first 5 mins of the game I had one of my (unfortunately rare) premonitions about him that he's going to be an awesome player for us. Can-t explain it...

PS Did we really look at 199 CB's before we got to Joost? Summat wrong with our scouting if true...

Edited by Almat

Distribution wise, this kid was hit and miss but you could see what he was attempting every time - and one of his cross field balls out (Ruddock-esq) helped set up one of our goals.

I don't see the similarities yet some have said to Bougherra or Warhurst (who were very similar to each other in their rampaging forwards) but, as many have said it's early days.

The man does have presence though, and as a debut goes lets see what happens on Tuesday.     It's a good start.

Edit:  I should say also - it was a breath of fresh air to not see us slow ball it out of defence.    When he hit a ball forwards, even if it didn't come off, it still put us further up the pitch and defending a throw in.    That was at worst.    At best, well, like I said we scored from one such movement out from him.

Edited by HubristicClapper

On 09/09/2017 at 19:42, Lord Snooty said:

Has to stay on his feet for the goal when Osborn advances to the box. He's a step away when he jumps in. 

Other than that. Looked very promising. 

The way he reacted after they scored shows he knew he'd foooked up.

my exact thoughts what you said. Pinged  few 50 yard beauties. Promising debut without a doubt.

1 hour ago, Reallondonowl said:

Yes !

As I posted earlier, I think that he can pass out well avoiding the need for Bannan and others to drop back and receive which means they can play more telling balls through such as the one to Hooper (albeit different context). His pass to Wallace who dunked it on to Hunt who ran through clear was described as sublime football which I totally agree with.  Exciting addition.

Bannan doesn't drop deep solely to distribute the ball

He does it to give us reinforcement in the middle of the pitch deep in our defensive 3rd so the CB's can split and the FB's play higher - he acts as what was once termed "the pivot" - ironically more suited to a 3-5-2 formation

It's a CC tactic and i don't see it changing

Also it's nonsense to think we can play against every team the way we did against a Forest team who did a lot of our work for us

However it's a great option to have a defender who can not only spot a threatening pass - but deliver it as well

12 hours ago, Davetherave said:

Shades of the young Paul Warhurst .... can't say better than that.

Wait till they let the Juice off the reigns after a few games and

watch his forward runs ... should be terrifying for the opposition.

50 shades?