Opportunity for George Hirst

Carlos Carvalhal said: “I talked with George last season and told him the best way to move forward this season was to play in League One or League Two and play often.”

But Carvalhal was adamant Hirst would not leave until the club had resolved his long-term future

“The moment he signs a new contract will be the moment we find him a club to play, that is a process,” insisted Carvalhal. “When we find George a club, he will sign at that moment.”

4 hours ago, malek said:

So, he was stalling over signing new contract here, so we punished him. Didn't brought him with us for pre-season and didn't issue him with a squad nember, and that is all fine.

However us stopping him from playing for U-23's is sickening. It will never make his sign new deal, is sending wrong message to other young players, and is embarassing. Blackmailing and bullying 18 years old into doing something he doesn't want to. Very, very low from those in charge.

I assumed he wasn't playing for the U23's because of the possibility of him going out on loan. 

Obviously thats not happening now. 

Surely we arent stopping him playing for the U23's because he won't sign a contract?! If that is the case, that is, indeed, very low & pretty disgusting tbh. 

3 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

I assumed he wasn't playing for the U23's because of the possibility of him going out on loan. 

Obviously thats not happening now. 

Surely we arent stopping him playing for the U23's because he won't sign a contract?! If that is the case, that is, indeed, very low & pretty disgusting tbh. 

Doubt It'll happen though. I expect him to be selected for the under 23's going forward and it will then be even more interesting to see how he goes.

5 hours ago, malek said:

What did you expect him to do ?!

We didn't even took him to pre-season with us, or issued him with a squad number.

I expect him to focus on playing football so he's good enough to join the senior squad. Then focus on trying to bang in goals like Alan Shearer.  The football world is littered with guys who never properly realised the potential they showed as kids. Maybe this is what he wants as well but he's just being badly advised. The football world is also full of parasites who will tell the kids anything they want to hear if they think there's a good payday for doing so. 

19 hours ago, crookesowl said:

With Winnall going does this mean some game time for Hirst this season?

Surely Hooper and / or Fletcher will be injured at some point so I can see Hirst now on the first team radar. 

Interesting times for the young lad... 

Not a chance. Carlos will continue to put Dave and Joao on the bench

2 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Carlos Carvalhal said: “I talked with George last season and told him the best way to move forward this season was to play in League One or League Two and play often.”

But Carvalhal was adamant Hirst would not leave until the club had resolved his long-term future

“The moment he signs a new contract will be the moment we find him a club to play, that is a process,” insisted Carvalhal. “When we find George a club, he will sign at that moment.”

Wont be able to find a club to go on loan until January now? 

Edited by WalthamOwl

1 minute ago, Etchesketch said:

No loan window now.  He won't be able to go to a EFL club until January.  Can go to National League and below still though.

Going to a team like Aldershot or Tranmere would be good experience. Tho someone will comment that he'll get his legs broken and never be seen again 

9 hours ago, whatevertrevor said:

Yep, but failing that I think we need to try, if and when possible, to include him in the first team squad and give him the odd 10 minutes for now. That would of course rely on us ever having more than a one goal lead mind you...

We can't wait until he's a 'proven championship striker' before we give him some game time because without our help he will never get there, or at least never prove it. With youth you sometimes need to lose a little in the short term to gain in the long term. Other clubs do that so well. In fact, they often end up not losing in the short term because the really talented youngsters find a way to raise their level beyond their experience levels.

Long story short, I think in lieu of a loan move we need to give me minutes (when possible) ahead of payers that may, on paper, be better than his current level. 

I have spotted a serious problem with your plan. We never get 2 goal leads, well we do very, very occasionally but only by accident.

1 minute ago, Southie_Owl said:

Going to a team like Aldershot or Tranmere would be good experience. Tho someone will comment that he'll get his legs broken and never be seen again 

I posted similar yesterday. There are some good clubs in the National League. Tranmere, Halifax, Wrexham, Hartlepool, Orient, Macclesfield. Doesn't hjave to be half or full season loan either with non league loans.  Could have a month. come back and then go somewhere else later in the season.  

If anyone is going to the 150th meal on Monday ask Wilkinson how he integrated David Hirst into the first team.

His reply will be I hardly ever apart from the odd first team place and mostly substitute apearances  ,I thought Colin West and Carl Bradshaw  was better,Hirsty senior didn't show his potential till 89-90 when he was 22 -23 young George is 3 to 4yrs away ,when Hirst senior scored 4 against Hull he was 3 months from his 23rd birthday 

3 minutes ago, owler66 said:

If anyone is going to the 150th meal on Monday ask Wilkinson how he integrated David Hirst into the first team.

His reply will be I hardly ever apart from the odd first team place and mostly substitute apearances  ,I thought Colin West and Carl Bradshaw  was better,Hirsty senior didn't show his potential till 89-90 when he was 22 -23 young George is 3 to 4yrs away ,when Hirst senior scored 4 against Hull he was 3 months from his 23rd birthday 

Its 2017 not 1989. Football has changed. 

I can can assure you George Hirst will not be waiting 4/5 years to break into our first team.

Well more fool him if he thinks he can burst into any 1st team he feels like.

Yes he can earn money with potential nowadays.

But I was trying to show how long it took his dad to really come to his potential,we and more importantly George and his dad should realise this 

14 minutes ago, owler66 said:

Wilkinson thought Bradshaw and West were better, Wednesday fans didn't even at that early stage, he was raw but it was obvious even back then that this lad had talent.

2 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

But the stupid loan rules don't allow him to move on loan in between windows. He desperately needs an opportunity, what are we doing?

Even those who have got it in for Carlos, think about it this way; surely if Hirst was better than the players in front of him CC would play him purely out of selfish interest? He wants the team to win. He picks the best players. There's nothing else to it is there? 

The truth is that he's a really good young player but simply well short of the players in front of him at the moment.

Anyone notice former Blades wonderkid Diego DeGiralimo joining bottom of L2 Chezzy on loan this week? Great prospects fail to make the grade all the time ....

Edited by dfoster