Opportunity for George Hirst

2 minutes ago, Dagmeister said:

Stalling on a new contract probably/possibly the reason for this

So, he was stalling over signing new contract here, so we punished him. Didn't brought him with us for pre-season and didn't issue him with a squad nember, and that is all fine.

However us stopping him from playing for U-23's is sickening. It will never make his sign new deal, is sending wrong message to other young players, and is embarassing. Blackmailing and bullying 18 years old into doing something he doesn't want to. Very, very low from those in charge.

53 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

It really comes down to this, there are two possibilites

Option A: You're right, and the coaching staff at Wednesday are wrong. You, who I bet haven't seen Hirst play more than 400 minutes of football (You won't have seen more than 90 if you don't go to youth games) are perfectly adept at judging what level of ability he is at, and although you'd concede is isn't "ready" yet, you would maybe push for him to be included on the bench most weeks?

Option B: The professional Wednesday coaches, who see Hirst play more than 400 minutes of football per week, know something you don't. 

With the greatest of respect, I think it's pretty clear what scenario is more likely

Thank you for your opinion.

I would counter that with the likes of Everton, Leicester and Leeds wanting him, they must think he is ready to take a step up, albeit probably in small steps from the bench, he doesn't get that here.

At some point he has to step up to the first team, he's scoring for fun in the under 20s. Let's leave him for a few years, I'm sure he'll hang around and wait for his chance.

Bottom line is, if he can't get a game where he wants to, he will leave and go where he can play. I think we will loose him soon anyway, the fact he won't sign a new contract speaks volumes.

Simples.

17 minutes ago, malek said:

So, he was stalling over signing new contract here, so we punished him. Didn't brought him with us for pre-season and didn't issue him with a squad nember, and that is all fine.

However us stopping him from playing for U-23's is sickening. It will never make his sign new deal, is sending wrong message to other young players, and is embarassing. Blackmailing and bullying 18 years old into doing something he doesn't want to. Very, very low from those in charge.

I'm not sure its punishment. We don't know the ins and outs nor the actions or words of George and more pertinently his advisers. Players are ever more used to flexing their muscles even at youth levels. I suspect that the club thinks it is doing the best for the club.

5 hours ago, Bagarri said:

People have got to accept that it looks, almost nailed on, that he's off at the end of the season. 

We've handled it poorly, he and his Dad may have also, but we don't know the story.

Big shame.

We'll be thinking the tribunal will be more than £2 million, so wind it down. He's frozen out of the U23's and had a loan move scrapped...because he won't sign a contract. 

I'd we won't see this kid play a reserve game again - never mind be near the 1st team!

Like I said - what a shame!

...but let it go...

Just pray he doesn't end up at Leeds!!!

I don't believe the club have handled it poorly he and his advisers have heard the cash register ring .

Money, money ,money that's what i want,never mind that the owls have done a brilliant job in developing him ,you can be sure Chansiri Won't be pushed around by him or his father

Edited by akbuk

1 hour ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Thank you for your opinion.

I would counter that with the likes of Everton, Leicester and Leeds wanting him, they must think he is ready to take a step up, albeit probably in small steps from the bench, he doesn't get that here

A step up to what though,  their own youth team?

Everton and Leicester are about as likely to put an untested boy in their first eleven as we are.  

2 hours ago, malek said:

100% right mate. 

1 minute ago, Dronfield Blue said:

I get that.

I'm just saying "Let the dog see the rabbit" If you know what I mean.

Oh quite. Though one starts to suspect that the rabbit is made out of paper and has the Queens head printed on it.

Interesting point about having kids on the bench.

Remember Eriksson picking Walcott.

Then not giving him an outing.

I have always thought unused substitute must be one of the most frustrating jobs in football.

At least if you train in the week and don't get picked you can have a nice weekend at home watching the telly.

But unused sub. Travelling. Sleeping over. Going to the game. Sitting in the bench. Warming up for 90 minutes. Then going back to the hotel. Back on the coach...etc etc.

5 minutes ago, crookesowl said:

I don't care if he looks 11 or 31 - the lad scores goals wherever he goes. 

Should be given a few chances this season in my opinion

You're right he may well get a chance this season (not year) it depends whether we romp home or miss out by easter, then and only then he will get a chance.

Of course he could fill out be a stronger, faster, fitter George who can handle the rough and tumble. But that's why we are waiting and nursing him forward for his benefit as well as ours and all parties know this. They also know a huge signing on fee is not to be sniffed at. But with 2 Two mill bids in the bag we are prepared to wait for an adjudication on compensation.   

7 hours ago, SolihullOwl79 said:

I recall similar being said of Jamie Vardy, who is of a slight build just like young Hirst! 

If Hirst has pace AND acceleration (which he seems to in the highlights of games he's played in at youth level) then with his goal scoring touch he's worth having on the bench to bring on for 15 minutes when opposition legs are tiring at the end! 

Jamie Vardy (born (Born 11 Jan, 1987)) joined his first League club, Leicester City from Fleetwood (then a non-league club) on 19 May, 2012, i.e. when he was over 25 yrs old. 

By your own admission, you don't know if George is good enough (your use of 'If' Hirst has pace etc.).

Yet you still believe that the SWFC staff have got it wrong.

3 hours ago, malek said:

He's an adult now and negotiating a professional contract. He's playing at business and so are we.