Opportunity for George Hirst

He was on fire last season,so it would make sense if we start to see a more attractive football again a bit of a blend of attacking football and the defencive solidness where we start putting teams away again and we're a couple of goals up against a footballing side with 20 minutes left and he's not going to get kicked ten bells out of. That way we could have him on the bench give him a taste of the atmosphere in the first team arena and maybe give him 15/20 minutes near the end. It all depends on Carlos, trying to battle out a 1-0 win then no. 

2 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

He was on fire last season,so it would make sense if we start to see a more attractive football again a bit of a blend of attacking football and the defencive solidness where we start putting teams away again and we're a couple of goals up against a footballing side with 20 minutes left and he's not going to get kicked ten bells out of. That way we could have him on the bench give him a taste of the atmosphere in the first team arena and maybe give him 15/20 minutes near the end. It all depends on Carlos, trying to battle out a 1-0 win then no. 

As Dan said he's not even playing at the top levels of U18 or U23 football if he did i think you would see he's not ready for anything above league 1 even League 2 football

29 minutes ago, danblakemore said:

I just remember the u23 game against Chelsea last season. It was literally men against boys. 

There is is a million miles between premier league u23's and ours. It's shown with the number of those Chelsea players now out on loan at championship and premiership level.

for what it's worth it sounds to me like the lad has had his head turned and that he'll probably leave for all the wrong reasons.

That was a U18 game as it was the Youth Cup, which enhances your point even more.

Noticed a 17 yr old Citeh striker went to Dortmund yesterday for £10m. Given number 7 shirt too so must be thought of as a starter. 

Brings into context the £2m offered for GH. 

Basically he's an unknown potential ATM and has been said already, we wouldn't have numerous threads about him if his names wasn't Hirst. 

I reckon he's been offered more money elsewhere - and why shouldn't he be interested?? He has the perfect example (his dad) who had a big chance in his career that he never took (whoever was to blame). £10k a week isn't peanuts to a Champ club like us, but if a Prem team is offering £15k then it's nothing to them. 

1 hour ago, owl84 said:

As Dan said he's not even playing at the top levels of U18 or U23 football if he did i think you would see he's not ready for anything above league 1 even League 2 football

I do agree with that bud, but I'm on about the likes of penny, Clare, stobbs etc aswell  with the availability of a big bench these days maybe we can afford to put one or two of the prospects on there, get them a little time sampling the atmosphere of big game day and as I said maybe if we get a chance to give them a little feel of what it's like playing first team football it'll help them kick on and hopefully inspires them to work harder in the u23s. It would also show the youth well actually give them a chance of getting a game here and you don't need to be 28+ to get a game. 

Edited by shezzas left peg
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, alanharper said:

How many other 18.5 year old strikers have made 67 first team appearances by that age? Using the player who went on to become England's all time leading scorer is hardly a fair comparison  (I bet George Hirst doesn't go on to score any more than about 40 goals for England)

Granted, I agree.

The question is how league many starts has George had? A very round number. Maybe half a dozen from the bench may help?

3 hours ago, Burnsie said:

It's almost...almost...like they are different people. Maybe people develop at different rates (or, by your analogy, I should have been playing professional football by that age too!).

But sorry, I'm getting distracted, lets keep comparing him the greatest international goal scorer  this country has ever had.

Irrelevant. he hasn't had one start yet. Two minor appearances from the bench, I'll bet he's buzzing.

11 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Irrelevant. he hasn't had one start yet. Two minor appearances from the bench, I'll bet he's buzzing.

Doesnt matter if he's climbing the walls!!!

Our coaching staff (who I'm guessing have seen him play a lot more than the vast majority on here) don't think he's ready. 

End of. 

10 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

It really comes down to this, there are two possibilites

Option A: You're right, and the coaching staff at Wednesday are wrong. You, who I bet haven't seen Hirst play more than 400 minutes of football (You won't have seen more than 90 if you don't go to youth games) are perfectly adept at judging what level of ability he is at, and although you'd concede is isn't "ready" yet, you would maybe push for him to be included on the bench most weeks?

Option B: The professional Wednesday coaches, who see Hirst play more than 400 minutes of football per week, know something you don't. 

With the greatest of respect, I think it's pretty clear what scenario is more likely

13 hours ago, Toronto_Owl said:

If scoring like he has done doesn't warrant a few sub appearances, we might as well dissolve the academy.

There is a lad playing for the U11's who is smashing them in, reckon he must be worth a sub appearance or 2...

Oh no, wait, just like Hirst Jnr, he isn't quite physically ready for first team football. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poite said:

No. Carlos has no interest in playing Hirst at all. 

If he thinks he's a worth a place then he will play him. Simple as that really. 

Imagine if this was Darren Potters Son and his Dad was sticking his oar in like Hirst Snr? Meltdown 

lol 

3 hours ago, owl84 said:

The players at Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea etc are already miles in front of him. 

You're probably right mate, so the agents and hangers on should get off the kid's back and let him focus on playing and not money. If he grows up to be as good as his dad he'll be worth £20m not £2m.  Right now he's not as good as his dad, and like you say he's possibly not as good as many of his contemporaries. 

• Like 1