Opportunity for George Hirst

If players are good enough then they will get a chance and they have to grab it. Carlos has to win games and if I was picking a side to save my life then young Hirst wouldn't be anywhere near it.

It doesn't show Hirst (of his Dad) in a good light that he's unwilling to sign a new deal. I'd love to know what the offer was and I'd wager it's more then the lad at united is on (he's the one who just won player of the tournament and looks a real decent prospect).

7 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Then we may as well have sold him because he won't sign a contract and will leave for a nominal fee set be a tribunal.

We also might as well do away with the academy if we are not going to promote talent from it.

I agree.

He's not going to feature though. 

The fact Winnall has left will make no difference to his situation.

Unless George Hirst signs a new contract we may as well forget about him. He's already getting left out of u23 games for this reason, left out of the trip to Portuga and really should have been on the bench for the chesterfield cup game. 

It looks to to me like he is getting frozen out. Unless the club offer what he wants then we are in a bit of a catch 22 situation. We should have sold him.  

Just now, owlZfan84 said:

I agree.

He's not going to feature though. 

The fact Winnall has left will make no difference to his situation.

I'm not saying he should be the first name on the team sheet, I'm not saying he should be in the squad every week but I would like to see him included in the squad when the chance arises.

Hooper and Fletcher are fantastic for us but both or injury prone and neither has a full season in them, this is where George should come into the reckoning.

3 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Hirst is 18.5 years old.

At the same age, Rooney had made 67 first team appearances for Everton in the Prem.

He is not an embryo, he is a young man. Time for a run out before he takes up walking football.

George Hirst isn't Wayne Rooney though. If he was that good he wouldn't still be with us. 

2 minutes ago, David1867 said:

George Hirst isn't Wayne Rooney though. If he was that good he wouldn't still be with us. 

Pffffft. 

Clearly we should decide if our players are any good by comparing them to multiple champions league winners. Cant you see how productive that is?!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

Joao showed what sort of defenses George has been playing against. GH can only score against the opposition in front of him but from U23 to Championship is a massive step up. 

I recall similar being said of Jamie Vardy, who is of a slight build just like young Hirst! 

If Hirst has pace AND acceleration (which he seems to in the highlights of games he's played in at youth level) then with his goal scoring touch he's worth having on the bench to bring on for 15 minutes when opposition legs are tiring at the end! 

5 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Nailed it mate, he has progressed very well and is scoring for fun at u23 level, we either step him up, in which case he would probably sign a new contract or risk losing him for a fee which will be next to nothing set by a tribunal.

If he had signed a new deal then he would have got the first team football that he is ready for in League 1 or League 2. If he wasn't called Hirst you wouldn't be pushing for him to be playing in the first team. 

If he does go next summer we will get more than the 2m that Leicester were offering for him, no lose to the club. 

4 minutes ago, SolihullOwl79 said:

I recall similar being said of Jamie Vardy, who is of a slight build just like young Hirst! 

If Hirst has pace AND acceleration (which he seems to in the highlights of games he's played in at youth level) then with his goal scoring touch he's worth having on the bench to bring on for 15 minutes when opposition legs are tiring at the end! 

Ah, but they were saying Vardy had no future. People are not saying that about George. They are saying the future is not now. Vardy went out and played in some physically tough leagues before showing he could do it at the top level. In my opinion and it would seem the opinions of the professionals close to him, is that he needs experience at a higher level than at present but Championship is a step too far at the moment.

6 minutes ago, owl84 said:

If he wasn't called Hirst you wouldn't be pushing for him to be playing in the first team

Yes, he'd be like Clare or Stobbs or Thorniley and the others.

Edited by OxonOwl

54 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Hirst is 18.5 years old.

At the same age, Rooney had made 67 first team appearances for Everton in the Prem.

He is not an embryo, he is a young man. Time for a run out before he takes up walking football.

How many other 18.5 year old strikers have made 67 first team appearances by that age? Using the player who went on to become England's all time leading scorer is hardly a fair comparison  (I bet George Hirst doesn't go on to score any more than about 40 goals for England)

15 minutes ago, owl84 said:

If he had signed a new deal then he would have got the first team football that he is ready for in League 1 or League 2. If he wasn't called Hirst you wouldn't be pushing for him to be playing in the first team. 

If he does go next summer we will get more than the 2m that Leicester were offering for him, no lose to the club. 

You think we'd get more than £2 million from a tribunal. I very much doubt it. Only goes to tribunal if clubs cant agree compensation. Leicester have offered £2 million so  compensation figure would be les than that.  Not started a game of professional first team football yet.

Edited by Etchesketch

People keep saying he isn't good enough yet, and perhaps he isn't, but one of the main factors in becoming good enough is having some well managed exposure to first team football. 

Many seem to suggest that he shouldn't be picked until he is a Championship quality striker - but that isn't really how development of a player works. 

1 hour ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Hirst is 18.5 years old.

It's almost...almost...like they are different people. Maybe people develop at different rates (or, by your analogy, I should have been playing professional football by that age too!).

But sorry, I'm getting distracted, lets keep comparing him the greatest international goal scorer  this country has ever had.

• Haha 2