Opportunity for George Hirst

8 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

But the stupid loan rules don't allow him to move on loan in between windows. He desperately needs an opportunity, what are we doing?

Trying to nurture a fledging talent whilst being under the microscope. 

They clearly want to make sure the lad is being looked after 'in a football sense) in the right way. 

They'll have a progression plan in place. Want to make sure there's not a case of too much too soon, which is hard with the spotlight that firstly his name has shone on the situation and secondly his tremendous goalscoring exploits. 

Like so much of football it's about timing. This purple patch season and the attention it's garnered amongst the big clubs  in many ways has come at the wrong time for the club. 

I can only presume that they want a commitment from the player before they forge on with their plans for him. 

It might seem a bit title for tat. 

But genuinely we just don't know what's happening. It's all hearsay and rumour. Supposition. 

I hope it will be resolved. I'm sure everyone does. But it has to be a resolution that suits all parties.

Whether that middle ground exists is another matter.

Not going to guess what's going on behind the scenes but he might get his chance in the first team before long. Carlos usually plays two strikers and has three on the bench. The usual five are Hooper, Fletcher, Forestieri, Rhodes and Nuhiu. With Winnall now gone it only takes two injuries and first Joao then Hirst will be next in the queue. 

Of course he might prefer to go with someone like Matias up front in that event, but if young Hirst keeps scoring a goal a game he'd be hard to ignore for a sub spot, surely.

1 hour ago, owler66 said:

If anyone is going to the 150th meal on Monday ask Wilkinson how he integrated David Hirst into the first team.

His reply will be I hardly ever apart from the odd first team place and mostly substitute apearances  ,I thought Colin West and Carl Bradshaw  was better,Hirsty senior didn't show his potential till 89-90 when he was 22 -23 young George is 3 to 4yrs away ,when Hirst senior scored 4 against Hull he was 3 months from his 23rd birthday 

You do realise that George isn't his dad? 

5 minutes ago, owler66 said:

But a lot on here think he is 

Agreed. My heart says we should blood the young lad, with my memory firmly on the old mans marauding performances. However, it's a different world now and if he fails, it will put him back a long way and probably destroy his confidence.

Bugger! Just got an enormous splinter in my arse from that fence.

I recall a kid called Tony Simmons in the Charlton era,he scored 45 or so goals and we gave him a go in the Norwich game,he was clearly way out of his depth and ended up in lower league football,Lincoln Utd or something like.

The coaching staff know the lad,lets leave it to them to decide when hes ready.......

11 hours ago, dfoster said:

Even those who have got it in for Carlos, think about it this way; surely if Hirst was better than the players in front of him CC would play him purely out of selfish interest? He wants the team to Anyone notice former Blades wonderkid Diego DeGiralimo joining bottom of L2 Chezzy on loan this week? Great prospects fail to make the grade all the time ....

lol

I can genuinely say I didn't notice that.

Need to get to more Blunts reserve matches obviously.

Edited by owlinexile

19 hours ago, HalfFull said:

Jamie Vardy (born (Born 11 Jan, 1987)) joined his first League club, Leicester City from Fleetwood (then a non-league club) on 19 May, 2012, i.e. when he was over 25 yrs old. 

By your own admission, you don't know if George is good enough (your use of 'If' Hirst has pace etc.).

Yet you still believe that the SWFC staff have got it wrong.

That's my point about Vardy. He was considered not strong enough and not taken on by Wednesday in his youth. Now look at what he has achieved! 

In respect of Hirst, I've not seen him live, the IF was in respect of whether he has the pace and acceleration he appears to have in the video footage of him available on line. 

NOBODY knows if somebody is good enough until they're given the chance to prove themselves! 

Some players like Anelka have brilliant skill, technique, physical presence but lack in the attitude department and throw it all anyway a bit like Mcgugan too to an extent, then some players that lack technical prowess and/or athleticism like Carlton Palmer (technical) and Mick Quinn (athleticism) go on to have very successful careers. 

Hirst for his goal scoring exploits at youth level deserves the chance to be called up ala Michael Owen, Robbie Fowler, Theo Walcott ( they all excelled at youth level banging them in- beating opposition defences put in front of them to be rewarded with a chance at senior level) which is not an opportunity awarded to Hirst despite very similar performances at youth level!  

The lad at United who looks a real prospect is almost 2 years older than Hirst and has only just made the breakthrough to first team football.

This is despite United being in League 1 for 6 years. Get your head down George and the rewards will follow.

18 hours ago, owler66 said:

If anyone is going to the 150th meal on Monday ask Wilkinson how he integrated David Hirst into the first team.

His reply will be I hardly ever apart from the odd first team place and mostly substitute apearances  ,I thought Colin West and Carl Bradshaw  was better,Hirsty senior didn't show his potential till 89-90 when he was 22 -23 young George is 3 to 4yrs away ,when Hirst senior scored 4 against Hull he was 3 months from his 23rd birthday 

You thought Colin West was better than anybody? WTF:

13 minutes ago, BIG D said:

The lad at United who looks a real prospect is almost 2 years older than Hirst and has only just made the breakthrough to first team football.

This is despite United being in League 1 for 6 years. Get your head down George and the rewards will follow.

Exactly this.

Hirst is still very young. It would be wholly unfair to chuck him into the first team at the minute. The pressure is unbelievable, and even the most experienced professionals would do well to cope with it.

If he sees his development to continue at the club, he needs to sign his contract, spent the next 4 months scoring goals for our U23s, and then get out on loan on the 1st January. 

If he doesn't see his development to continue here, then Wednesday need to accept Leicester's bid, and ensure they are safeguarded from anything he acheives whilst at the club. I.e. Significant payments on appearances, sell on percentages, international caps etc. 

It's simple hes about the sixth choice striker

sadly big Dave is in front of him.. Brilliant young player no doubt not really proven him self.

it is just the name that everybody is getting excited about if it wasn't one of the sons of our Legendury player

We would not even be having this conversation topic

Have heard from a reliable source that he'll talk to interested parties in January and get his move away at the end of this season lined up nice and early. 

Hopefully things will change between now and then, although at present I get the impression the situation is irretrievable and neither party is prepared to alter their stance to make that change happen. 

This topic is getting a tad boring. Is GH the next sodding messiah. If he wasn't the son of a former player (who incidently as spat his dummy out)  I doubt it would be getting as much attention. He's a kid who is doing well in a kids league and allegedly, a premiership club as offered silly money for him.

I can't believe the hype over George Hirst. 

Its crazy - screw your head on and think logically why he doesn't play in front of hooper fletcher rhodes who are top class internationals at 27+.

screw your head on further and think why in the 90th min against united in a couple of weeks if we're one goal up and they've got a corner why Carlos might want nuhiu on instead of George hirst to defend the corner.

screw it on another notch and think that whilst he won't sign a contract they aren't going to let him go somewhere like Rotherham where he might bang a few in and attract loads of interest when he's out of contract.

of all the distractions we don't need - George hirst is up there.