Joe Palmer

The comments relating to the club shop are right, it could and should be much better. It does alarm me how some think it is the entirety of our commercial operation when in reality it's far from it. We have an owner and people like Joe Palmer on board that run and have been involved in large successful businesses and clubs, trust them to do their work.

6 minutes ago, Morepork said:

The comments relating to the club shop are right, it could and should be much better. It does alarm me how some think it is the entirety of our commercial operation when in reality it's far from it. We have an owner and people like Joe Palmer on board that run and have been involved in large successful businesses and clubs, trust them to do their work.

And you'd have expected it within 12 months of such a prestigious person arriving. Especially considering that we seemingly have the resources available from the chairman to improve these areas of the club. 

1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

And you'd have expected it within 12 months of such a prestigious person arriving. Especially considering that we seemingly have the resources available from the chairman to improve these areas of the club. 

Improving the quality of merchandise would be a pretty easy win so I see the fact that we've done nothing, not as a sign of inactivity but rather a sign that we're thinking bigger and also prioritising. 

Palmer would have been given some time to assess all relevant areas of the clubs commercial activity and put forward a plan (that probably took 15 mins....) If you look at the store in more detail, let's assume we sold the best merchandise of any club in the country in terms of revenue any increase in sales from our current fan base would still only be a six figure sum IMO, in terms of profit even with the high margins you'd expect on those items it's still a nominal figure. 

I believe Joe Palmer is focused on corporate sponsorships, overseas marketing and actuallly growing our fan base overseas and increasing more lucrative revenue streams. The shop and the items we sell will improve but for now they have simply been prioritised.

We've made huge improvements to so many aspects of our club in a very short space of time but you need only look at them to see where the priority is and that's promotion to the Prem and the real money, which incidentally comes from TV rights and the associated big business sponsorship that flows from that TV exposure.

Edited by Morepork

Absolutely we don't know what he has been doing and absolutely he may have lined up some great deals of real substance

My point was that if anybody thinks it's right to set the price of our corporate hospitality at a point that people won't pay it then they have got that wrong

You could say any product/commodity/service etc can be valued by 2 means - the price the owner will accept - and the price a customer is willing to pay

Currently it seems finding the balance between those points has not been found - thats a failing of the business not the customer

9 hours ago, shandypants said:

But he might be doing loads but we're so fvcckked commercially that it will take time. There's not a "Commercial Success" button he can press or anything is there - it just doesn't happen instantly. 

Having last seasons shirts at 55 quid and not much else in their suggests notes being done . Kid of five could see that doesn't make good business sense 

10 hours ago, tuttuttut said:

Care to list these changes what should have been done by now? 

I only need one, the club 'megastore'. The way it's setup, presented, advertised and run both online and offline is an absolute embarrassment. It's been that way for years and nothing has changed. I'd go as far as saying a 15 year old business studies student would run a similar operation.

Just for a bit o balance, the commercial income increased massively in short - time JP's been here.

It takes time due to length of supplier contracts, ols agreements , etc etc.

Biggest concern for us in terms of both quality on field and making dosh off, is player recruitment.

We badly need a DOF to help out Carlos and club generally. 

16 hours ago, Ballmeist said:

Not being funny but that's hardly ground breaking stuff.

There should have been significant changes made to our commercial operation over the last year and so far I've seen very little. In fact I'd go as far as saying it's still a shambles. 

No retail expert but may be some of the problems are existing contracts and having to negotiate getting out of those contracts without it costing too much ideally nothing

4 hours ago, Ballmeist said:

I only need one, the club 'megastore'. The way it's setup, presented, advertised and run both online and offline is an absolute embarrassment. It's been that way for years and nothing has changed. I'd go as far as saying a 15 year old business studies student would run a similar operation.

I imagine the club shop may be quite a way down his list of priorities in terms of how to maximise revenue within his first year at the club.

I doubt he'll be happy with its current state, but it may not be his main concern right now.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

has palmer done a good job? well who knows just yet, certain things have changed catering, cashless system etc  cant be difficult to improve that area can it ,a lot of staff couldn't add up 2 plus 1 I was given £17 change once for some thing what cost £3 ,I handed the poor girl the extra tenner back what she gave me . regarding the club shop total joke that place and nothing has changed while he has been here if anything its got worse ie last season which clown decided to charge £49 for kids home shirt and £55 for adults then 24 hours later some 6years old told club 20% vat means that shirt at most should be £45 which they had to correct. palmer has also put our prices and shirts at the dearest in the football league don't effect me too much as I'm season ticket holder but I wouldn't pay those on gate prices. last seasons shirts should have been sold at 50% off in may why wernt they? I'm sure other clubs would have cleared them out .also we have known for as long as a year ago that we want to change kit supplier when our deal with sondico ran out , also no mention about new shirt supplier ,when we are likely to see our new kit ,owls in the park,150th year etc usually we get some stuff on swfc web site but its been total silence ,the 1 thing the club needs to improve on is communication to supporters ,maybe it will all start next week about kit,owl in park,pre season friendly etc but I wouldn't hold my breath .

7 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

has palmer done a good job? well who knows just yet, certain things have changed catering, cashless system etc  cant be difficult to improve that area can it ,a lot of staff couldn't add up 2 plus 1 I was given £17 change once for some thing what cost £3 ,I handed the poor girl the extra tenner back what she gave me . regarding the club shop total joke that place and nothing has changed while he has been here if anything its got worse ie last season which clown decided to charge £49 for kids home shirt and £55 for adults then 24 hours later some 6years old told club 20% vat means that shirt at most should be £45 which they had to correct. palmer has also put our prices and shirts at the dearest in the football league don't effect me too much as I'm season ticket holder but I wouldn't pay those on gate prices. last seasons shirts should have been sold at 50% off in may why wernt they? I'm sure other clubs would have cleared them out .also we have known for as long as a year ago that we want to change kit supplier when our deal with sondico ran out , also no mention about new shirt supplier ,when we are likely to see our new kit ,owls in the park,150th year etc usually we get some stuff on swfc web site but its been total silence ,the 1 thing the club needs to improve on is communication to supporters ,maybe it will all start next week about kit,owl in park,pre season friendly etc but I wouldn't hold my breath .

And your slagging off peoples mathematics with grammar like that? wow.

6 minutes ago, davey_wells said:

The whole point of making improvements commercially is that fans see the changes being implemented.

We've seen nothing - bar an increase in ticket prices.

This.  Is Antonio still looking down on all and sundry in our club shop?

Little things, but front facing to the public and really easy to implement in the grand scheme..