Joe Palmer

6 minutes ago, JoshTheOwl said:

The bloke is quite clearly flipping useless. 

Because he hasn't managed to completely turn around a club suffering from the best part of two decades' worth of neglect, mismanagement and underinvestment in the first eleven months that he's been here?

I have no idea the ins and outs of Palmer's job, but I do know that I'll trust Chansiri's judgement on the matter before I'll subscribe to the baseless negativity spouted by the usual suspects on here who can't wait to join the pile-on whenever someone spots an opportunity to criticise the club for something.

1 hour ago, sweetsheri said:

Think you 2 are missing my point. He was brought in to rejuvenate our commercial capability.

Ive not seen anything to suggest he's actually done anything yet 

20 years of  decline and you expect instant results ? 

22 minutes ago, JoshTheOwl said:

The bloke is quite clearly flipping useless. 

On what grounds exactly.

Lets start with getting the ,elite executive box holders to pay the going rate, in stead of treating the club , like some ten bob millionaire group, who for too long thought they actually had some importance, because they had supported us for 20 years, !  

9 minutes ago, nethertonowl said:

On what grounds exactly.

Lets start with getting the ,elite executive box holders to pay the going rate, in stead of treating the club , like some ten bob millionaire group, who for too long thought they actually had some importance, because they had supported us for 20 years, !  

What is the going rate for championship football in Sheffield?

A rate that most wouldn't pay?

1 hour ago, tuttuttut said:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-joe-palmer-aims-to-help-take-owls-to-the-next-level-1-8104772

Took a while to sort Shaktar out by sounds of it.

Given time he will sort us out too, he's got a very big job sorting all the past 20 years of failures out and cannot be expected to do it in one season. 

this 100%

5 minutes ago, shandypants said:

OwlsTalk is a dreadful place at times. Character assassination of someone that we've never met. He might be doing a brilliant job for all we know

you of course are correct - unfortunately the evidence is there is little to show for nearly a year's work. I hope the background work is shortly to show some signs of improvement.

16 minutes ago, scram said:

What is the going rate for championship football in Sheffield?

A rate that most wouldn't pay?

Isnt that the point, ? Look at the likes  of Swansea , do you think  that their commercial revenue is higher that ours?, Please dont tell me that a dump like Swansea is more affluent than Sheffield.  The problem is that for too long, too many nobodies in this City have played Billy Big balls at the club fringes,  for their own ego , instead of genuinely supporting the club and taking it forward, with real investment.  Dave Allen being a perfect example. 

1 hour ago, tuttuttut said:

Catering bought back in house, are we introducing a cashless system now too? 

There is probably a lot of stuff we don't know about or see and may still be in planning process. 

Things will take time. 

Not being funny but that's hardly ground breaking stuff.

There should have been significant changes made to our commercial operation over the last year and so far I've seen very little. In fact I'd go as far as saying it's still a shambles. 

12 minutes ago, nethertonowl said:

Isnt that the point, ? Look at the likes  of Swansea , do you think  that their commercial revenue is higher that ours?, Please dont tell me that a dump like Swansea is more affluent than Sheffield. 

I don't know if Swansea is more affluent than Sheffield - similar demographics i'd imagine?

But crucially they are selling premier league football - which is way more potent to sell than championship football

So, if the "going rate" at S6 is what our corporate prices are currently set at - then why are they struggling to sell?

2 minutes ago, scram said:

I don't know if Swansea is more affluent than Sheffield - similar demographics i'd imagine?

But crucially they are selling premier league football - which is way more potent to sell than championship football

So, if the "going rate" at S6 is what our corporate prices are currently set at - then why are they struggling to sell?

It would would interesting what the going rate is - our neighbors are significantly cheaper, but this may be under the market rate.

I would suggest Notts Forest, Derby, Birmingham and perhaps Leeds are comparable rates in terms of similar clubs and demographics.

What is for sure is the clear evidence of empty boxes last season, which I found surprising considering our league position. It would be disappointing to see a similar amount empty this coming season.

33 minutes ago, nethertonowl said:

Isnt that the point, ? Look at the likes  of Swansea , do you think  that their commercial revenue is higher that ours?, Please dont tell me that a dump like Swansea is more affluent than Sheffield.

You could be Acrington Stanley in the Premier League and you commercial revenue will most likely eclipse all Championship clubs combined let alone ours....for the sole reason that you have a more desirable and marketable product. It's not the cosmetics of a city or its demographic that influence this. 

Revenue is typically split between gate receipts, broadcasting and commercial. The most lucrative aspect of commercial for us would be sponsorships, ideally from third parties and I suspect this is where our efforts are being focused.

1 hour ago, nethertonowl said:

20 years of  decline and you expect instant results ? 

No but in 12 months I expect something. What commercially has changed that anyone would notice? What are all these ideas he came in with from shakhtar?

Must be ground breaking when they arrive.

53 minutes ago, Ballmeist said:

There should have been significant changes made to our commercial operation over the last year and so far I've seen very little. In fact I'd go as far as saying it's still a shambles. 

Care to list these changes what should have been done by now? 

39 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

Bloody hell, blokes slagging off a man when they have no idea what he does - didn't realise so many people worked for the club. 

Nobody is slagging him off.

Youre right, nobody has an idea what he does, that's the point. He's a commercial director or whatever and yet commercially we are inept. Literally I've not heard anything from him in the press or tinterweb since he started, I find that strange given his role. You'd at least expect some sound bites 

Just now, TheEnchanter said:

I did expect to see bigger changes to things like the club shop by now. I mean how hard can it be to put some ideas into practise and get things sorted out? Must be hard, many shops and businesses, many football clubs get it right though. 

To be fair the darts sets are good.

Seriously the quality and vfm of the items in that shop are pathetic