Burnley

When he's on form and played in the right position/system, I rate Bannan as one of the best midfielders in this division. I think he has all the technical abilities to be a Premier League player (I know he has already been one)

This season however, he has been one of the biggest disappointments for me. Invariably he's sat far too deep and struggled to have an impact on games. I think primarily this hasn't been down to the player himself, rather the role Carlos asks him to play in order to get him in the starting line up.

If next season Carlos sets the team up to play to bannans strengths then he'll once again be key to us. If he's intent on asking him to play a role which doesn't suit his strengths then we may as well move him on and get someone else in.

I'd like to see Bannan play in an attacking system, I've always slated him, but some of his crosses from the edge of the box (like against Hudds) are superb, just not the 40yard shooting. Shame he's in a poor pass back system.

Doing really well, and improving each year hasn't been good enough. We need to do better. Bannan is an excellent player, but there are better players out there. 

There are better Westwoods, better Tom Lees etc etc. 

The losing mentality needs shifting. As a fan base we've always been more interested in been 'reight nice', rather than winners. A large percentage of our fan base is scared of winning. They prefer the plucky losers tag. 

12 minutes ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

Flounce warning .....

Astonished that so many fellow fans think top 6/ top2 championship midfielders grow on trees. 

BB was far and away our best player in the play off at Hillsborough but - yeah - no worries - we'll drive him to Burnley ourselves

Lee, Hutch were here under Gray and anonymous against Udders but let's keep the SG team together ....

Every player has a price but we are an 80+ points team looking for one or two additions to make us automatic. We literally can't afford to sell BB unless we have a replacement of similar quality. And apart from Cairney (20 mill?) and Mooy (depends on today's result) I can't think of any who have proven themselves to be as skilful energetic , consistent or influential at this level. 

Would-be taxi drivers in this thread  should be forced by OT management to NAME A CREDIBLE BB REPLACEMENT. He is the modern Shezza - what he needs is a Palmer.

hold on here, he's nowhere near that good, and was poo in the playoffs

2 minutes ago, vulva said:

Doing really well, and improving each year hasn't been good enough. We need to do better. Bannan is an excellent player, but there are better players out there. 

There are better Westwoods, better Tom Lees etc etc. 

The losing mentality needs shifting. As a fan base we've always been more interested in been 'reight nice', rather than winners. A large percentage of our fan base is scared of winning. They prefer the plucky losers tag. 

This is WELL below your usual standard.

Personally I rate Bannan and will be sad to see our good players leave, especially as I'm worried what Carlos will bring in this summer to add to his defensive 442 style 

I actually thought Bruce and Villa might try and get Bannan back there, but it was a different claret and blue team that may have come calling 

My view on players leaving is as such....... 

Not bothered if any of them go, if we replace with better. After all, we've not got out of this division with the present squad so far, after two attempts.

Apart from maybe Kieran Lee and Gary Hooper. Intelligent "make things happen" footballers.

The longer we stay in the championship, the harder it becomes to hold on to our better players. I'd be sad to see Bannan leave but as good as he is and has been for us, he doesn't score enough goals and if Bannan leaves Carlos maybe able to get a better balance in midfield using the likes of Jones and Abdi?

If true and he did go, he would go with my blessing and a thank you.

It would give us more of a identity next season too because sometimes I think we look unbalanced just to accommodate Bannan in the first team.

And if we kept Abdi fit we have a more than capable replacement in him, and we could use the transfer funds to strengthen other areas.

But if he stayed we still have a quality player in him so it's a win win situation.

We are a progressive club now and sometimes you have too move some of the players on and tweak the team to make us stronger. 

1 hour ago, optimisticowl said:

I'd like Premiership clubs to be interested in all of our first team squad, it is a great compliment for any Championship player to be on the radar of a Premiership club.

Me too

10 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

My view on players leaving is as such....... 

Not bothered if any of them go, if we replace with better. After all, we've not got out of this division with the present squad so far, after two attempts.

Apart from maybe Kieran Lee and Gary Hooper. Intelligent "make things happen" footballers.

"As such",.  Nice touch.

1 hour ago, vulva said:

Every single position in the team can be improved upon. We need to shake off the emotional attachment to players. It's one of the many reasons why we will be playing the likes of Burton, Millwall and Sheffield United next season. 

Keeping team team continuity, while replacing the odd weak link or two

or

Sell our better players and pretend they were 'sh*t anyway'

I'm hoping we can fend off Premier League interest in our better players

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

...who has 90 minutes of boundless energy, who is always available for the ball, and who can pick out a killer pass?

You can't have everything, unless you pay 90mil, and even he has been crap.

Kieran Lee has the first two alone and Almen Abdi is a better passer than Bannan. 

We need to improve. Forever being scared of selling players and bringing in new ones means you stagnate. Barry is a good player but he's replaceable and if we can get £5m from a player we signed on a free that's fantastic business.

I bet he's on pretty big wages too.

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

Personally I think we'd really miss his creativity if we wanted to play an attacking game.

Pretty sure we could replace it. Possibly with more of a physical box to box midfielder as well. In the mould of Aaron Mooy or Daniel Williams.