Burnley

On 5/29/2017 at 09:42, alanharper said:

I'm not his biggest fan, but he can be quality on his day, when he's not obsessed with passing sideways.

I'd hope we'd get nearer £10m than £5m though given the inflated prices at PL and Championship level these days. If Burnley think he's good enough to pay in the PL they should be paying accordingly like they did by (over)paying £13m for Brady and £10.5m for Hendrick.

We paid 5 million for Adam Reach.

Barry Bannan is 10 times the player Adam Reach is. 

18 hours ago, Fuzzy logics said:

Our midfield isn't as good as it thinks it is...hence our failure to get promoted twice.

The only players I would keep given the choice are Lee and Abdi...Hutch needs to go back to CB, Reach to LB and Bannan can leave for the right money.

Go out and get a couple of proper wingers and a strong defensive midfield player and we will be much more balanced.

Bannan is more important to the way Carlos wants us to play than any of our other midfielders. It's implausible Carlos will let him go unless he has no choice. 

7 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

Bannan is more important to the way Carlos wants us to play than any of our other midfielders. It's implausible Carlos will let him go unless he has no choice. 

Herein likes the issue and why we have to change.

Carlos sees Bannan and Wallace as fundamental to the way we play in midfield. To the extent other signings are not given an opportunity. Trouble is, they are not strong or athletic enough against the top teams.

This will continue to be a problem unless he changes something.

14 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Carlos sees Bannan and Wallace as fundamental to the way we play in midfield. To the extent other signings are not given an opportunity. Trouble is, they are not strong or athletic enough against the top teams.

Yes I agree. If we insist on playing 4-4-2 then none of the current combinations works in the middle of the park. We need the attributes of all 3 of Bannan, Lee and Hutch to function which is why they are often shoehorned in with one out wide. I think for this formation to give us automatic we need a new centre midfielder to partner either Bannan or Lee. Someone like Diame who provides both physicality and an attacking threat. 

On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 08:22, akbuk said:

Want Barry Bannan according to the Daily Mirror

I will drive him there . we aint going up with him in centre midfield, scored only 1 goal from centre midfield all season plenty of players have scored more own goals than what he has scored in his career 8 goals ,we all know he cant tackle ,cant head a ball ,cant run , yes can pass a decent ball but we need far more from a centre midfielder . dale stevens scores 10 plus a season tackles etc those are kind of midfielders what gets you promotion. I don't totally dislike bannan but I know we need better

50 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Bannan and Wallace were strong enough against Newcastle, home and away.

Fact is, played in his best position in CM, our results over the season were title-winning form. Played wide over the season our results were poor.

34 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Yes I agree. If we insist on playing 4-4-2 then none of the current combinations works in the middle of the park. We need the attributes of all 3 of Bannan, Lee and Hutch to function which is why they are often shoehorned in with one out wide. I think for this formation to give us automatic we need a new centre midfielder to partner either Bannan or Lee. Someone like Diame who provides both physicality and an attacking threat. 

Diame was subbed twice against our CM combinations this season. In two defeats.

I honestly think so many of us see only the best traits of oppos players, and the worst traits in ours.

9 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Bannan and Wallace were strong enough against Newcastle, home and away.

Fact is, played in his best position in CM, our results over the season were title-winning form. Played wide over the season our results were poor.

I am not going to argue.

In my opinion they are not strong enough. I have seen every home game and 90% of away and that is my view.

3 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Diame was subbed twice against our CM combinations this season. In two defeats.

I honestly think so many of us see only the best traits of oppos players, and the worst traits in ours.

Personally I think we are nearly there and I'm not having a go at any of our players. Hutch, Lee and Bannan are all excellent players but I just don't think any combination of them works quite right in a midfield 4. Its one area I think we need to address if we want autos playing a 4-4-2 system. Carlos seems to feel similar given the fact he keeps playing 3 CMs in a 4 man midfield.

I know Diame has been hit and miss this year. I just think him or a player with similar attributes would provide us with better balance in the middle alongside Bannan or Lee.