Oh Sammy Sammy

1 hour ago, modboy said:

Is he tall enough to partner Lees? At times we have looked a bit short without Loovens imo

Class player though 

Yep, this is a big concern, and they both play in the same areas. Ideally, the partner for either, needs to be left footed, a leader, and dominant in the air. Having said that, I do think centre back is Hutch's best position. Find a left sided leader, and we'd have four top class centre backs

Hutch is very much like what Cahill is to Chelsea. Cahill was getting exposed in a 2 CB formation, however the move Conte made to 3 CBs helped him immensely.

if Hutch is to play CB for us, it would need to be in a 3. we had a poor start with him and Lees together as the 2.

5 hours ago, NorfolkNChance said:

Best position is centre half, he was pushed back into CM because we failed to sign the midfielder we needed, if that gets addressed in the summer I would play him centre back. 

I rate him in midfield but spends most time as a third centre back which doesn't help our play 

This^^^ as much as I love him, he goes to far back and then midfield is short a man. 

12 hours ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Size means nothing in Italian football, they all grow up learning how to play that defensive role perfectly and not relying on physicality

Chiellini 

Bonnucci

Barzaghli

All physical

All bullies 

All good at football

Give Italian football a watch, you'll see 

Tough choice.

Hutch when he plays does sit too deep and essentially becomes the third CB and leaves us light in midfield.

His distribution from the CB position though is far and away better than either Lees or Loovens.

Does save his legs in terms of running but seems to suffer by jarring his knees on landings when jumping for balls into the box.

16 hours ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

Was the poor start to those playing at centre half or the complete lack of cover in front of them.

This is it for me. If Hutch drops back (and I think he probably should) then we need someone doing that job as good or better in front, especially if we're expecting our full backs to get to their by line.