Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Keogh and Boyd, more old timers No thanks

Keogh is a definite no from me. As I reckon he would be a car crash of a signing. He's error prone, sloppy on the ball and past his best. On the other hand Boyd like Whelan, still has plenty to offer, they both play significant roles for their club's in the top flight, and for experienced players they both have energy and get around the pitch. Especially Boyd who from stats, is one of the hardest working players in the top flight, who runs among the most meters in the top flight. For those reasons I wouldn't be against signing Boyd, he would be a good signing for any club at this level. But I do think we need younger blood; pace, athleticism and dynamism in the team.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
8 hours ago, Jamie_W said:

We aren't going to sign anyone. We will sell FF and that's it.

Grow a set lad!

6 minutes ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

Keogh is a definite no from me. As I reckon he would be a car crash of a signing. He's error prone, sloppy on the ball and past his best. On the other hand Boyd like Whelan, still has plenty to offer, they both play significant roles for their club's in the top flight, and for experienced players they both have energy and get around the pitch. Especially Boyd who from stats, is one of the hardest working players in the top flight, who runs among the most meters in the top flight. For those reasons I wouldn't be against signing Boyd, he would be a good signing for any club at this level. But I do think we need younger blood; pace, athleticism and dynamism in the team.

Rather us sign Keogh then not bother getting a centre back. Like last season.

Just now, pazowl55 said:

Rather us sign Keogh then not bother getting a centre back. Like last season.

We will get at least one and probably a couple but there's no rush. It's a key area we need to strengthen but it's important we get the recruitment right, if we're to challenge for top 2 this coming season. I don't think Keogh would be the ideal type of signing to help us achieve that, however I see the merit in going for someone like Boyd who still has got his legs, so to speak, and could offer a lot at this level has he's a decent hard working and creative player in the top flight.

Think Boyd would be a decent signing to be honest. Been impressed when I have seen him in the past. Yes I would prefer a young exciting player full of running but of the names that have been linked so far Boyd is one of the better ones. Played 36 times in the Premiership last season. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

24 minutes ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

We will get at least one and probably a couple but there's no rush. It's a key area we need to strengthen but it's important we get the recruitment right, if we're to challenge for top 2 this coming season. I don't think Keogh would be the ideal type of signing to help us achieve that, however I see the merit in going for someone like Boyd who still has got his legs, so to speak, and could offer a lot at this level has he's a decent hard working and creative player in the top flight.

Actually the opposite is true this summer as we want a settled side before august to be able to challenge for the top two from the start of the season, but I expect the window closing at the end of August makes it very difficult to prize players away from clubs early these days 

7 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Actually the opposite is true this summer as we want a settled side before august to be able to challenge for the top two from the start of the season, but I expect the window closing at the end of August makes it very difficult to prize players away from clubs early these days 

I agree about hitting the ground running, hopefully we will get who we need before the first game but we must be smart and not panic. If we get these few players right, then we really could break into the top 2 this season.

21 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

I agree up to a point though we have a fairly large, settled squad anyway so we should be able to hit the ground running with what we have. Any late arrivals can be introduced gradually if needs be. Obviously the preference is to have everyone in early but I'd rather wait if it means getting in the right players.

5 hours ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

That is possible and a considerate concern that I share too but thinking about FFP and the spending the likes of Derby have done, and have not come close to breaking FFP, then to me FFP seems just like a lot of hot air. There seem many ways around it and I'm sure we will find ways too or we will sell a few players and trim the wage bill but hopefully hold onto our best players. I don't think we will sign those players mentioned, although I would be ecstatic if we brought in Burke and would be happy with Boyd. I could see some of the new signings being out of contract or loanees? We really do need to add some younger blood, pace and dynamism, which is what excites me about the Burke link, even though it is unlikely, that's the type of player we should really be looking at (i.e. the likes of Lawrence and Irvine).

Derby sold Hendrick last year for a fee in the region of £10 million and have recently sold Hughes for upwards of £4.5 million rising to maybe £8 million and will probably sell Ince for £8-9 million. Carlos on the other hand has had to sell nobody other than Lavery (about 300K) so therein lies the problem.

Guest wilyfox
3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Keogh and Boyd, more old timers No thanks

I can't get excited by those either. Capable players, but I look at the age and contribution of Jones and Abdi wondering if it would be more of the same from Boyd and Keogh at the same stage of their careers; decent players, but probably past their best. 

15 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Derby sold Hendrick last year for a fee in the region of £10 million and have recently sold Hughes for upwards of £4.5 million rising to maybe £8 million and will probably sell Ince for £8-9 million. Carlos on the other hand has had to sell nobody other than Lavery (about 300K) so therein lies the problem.

I'm sure DC is aware of FFP and will make sure we don't break the rules of it, so stop worrying. 

The question should be..... Can any new player be competitive in the Premier League?, if the answer is no then we walk away. 

How can we expect to be promoted with Championship journeymen like Keogh. 

Im expecting better, much better. 

Nottingham Forest are interested in bringing talented Everton youngster Brendan Galloway to The City Ground, according to the Mail Online. 

Galloway, 21, most recently spent time on loan at Premier League side West Brom last season but failed to impress before being re-called by his parent club Everton.

10 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

And this is why those who see our competitive spending over the last two seasons as a stick to beat the club with are misguided.

There are other clubs in our league who have been investing similar amounts for the best part of a decade, whereas we were playing catch-up from a standing start with twenty years worth of underinvestment to try and overcome.

We now have solid foundations on which to build for the first time in god knows how long, but it's still not happening quickly enough for some...

Andre Gray could be set to join Everton from Burnley, which could mean Burnley will go for Forest's Britt Assombalonga as his replacement. (Source: Daily Star)

The same report suggests Burnley are close to capturing Leeds full back Charlie Taylor.

Middlesbrough are hoping to raid Leeds for a couple of players (including Chris Wood) according to Andy Ritchie. (Source: the Sunday People) along with former Leeds loanee Kyle Bartley, now back at parent club Swansea.

Everton are interested in Sheffield United youngster David Brooks, who starred in the recent Toulon tournament for England, alongside Sheffield Wednesday young striker George Hirst. Big spending Everton are also after Burnley defender Michael Keane. (Source: Daily Star)

1 hour ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

Think we have probably identified 3 or 4 centre backs that we think are of the standard we would like. ( Ayala, Hanley, Morrison and Keogh ) and then it's just seeing who you can get at a reasonable price. For me all of them are of the standard to make a difference to the squad, so that's pleasing to see.

Ayala for me is the best, but I would imagine Monk thinks the same and ain't about to let one of his best players leave. Clearly we think 3 million is the limit for us in terms of Morrison or we would have been back in by now. And then perhaps we are thinking there is not much difference between Hanley and Keogh and that Keogh we be the cheaper of the two. 

So I am expecting Keogh to sign for around about 3 million if I am honest as that seems to be our price bracket. If derby believe he is worth more. Than expect a loan attempt for Hanley later on in the window.

That would be how I am reading the situation at the moment.

8 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Think we have probably identified 3 or 4 centre backs that we think are of the standard we would like. ( Ayala, Hanley, Morrison and Keogh ) and then it's just seeing who you can get at a reasonable price. For me all of them are of the standard to make a difference to the squad, so that's pleasing to see.

Ayala for me is the best, but I would imagine Monk thinks the same and ain't about to let one of his best players leave. Clearly we think 3 million is the limit for us in terms of Morrison or we would have been back in by now. And then perhaps we are thinking there is not much difference between Hanley and Keogh and that Keogh we be the cheaper of the two. 

So I am expecting Keogh to sign for around about 3 million if I am honest as that seems to be our price bracket. If derby believe he is worth more. Than expect a loan attempt for Hanley later on in the window.

That would be how I am reading the situation at the moment.

I am reading the situation exactly the same as you. 

Because i just read your post lol

p.s. Agree with what you say. 

22 minutes ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

Andre Gray could be set to join Everton from Burnley, which could mean Burnley will go for Forest's Britt Assombalonga as his replacement. (Source: Daily Star)

The same report suggests Burnley are close to capturing Leeds full back Charlie Taylor.

Middlesbrough are hoping to raid Leeds for a couple of players (including Chris Wood) according to Andy Ritchie. (Source: the Sunday People) along with former Leeds loanee Kyle Bartley, now back at parent club Swansea.

Everton are interested in Sheffield United youngster David Brooks, who starred in the recent Toulon tournament for England, alongside Sheffield Wednesday young striker George Hirst. Big spending Everton are also after Burnley defender Michael Keane. (Source: Daily Star)

Rumour is that should Keane go then Burnley will be after Lees.