Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

41 minutes ago, TheRedanator said:

If we're after a Downing type player, we'd be better off taking another look at McGeady. I don't think either is the answer though

We have no need for a Downing type player, we already have plenty of them, including the last one Boro deemed surplus to requirements

Edited by gurujuan

Burton Albion have made former Liverpool and Derby County defender Stephen Warnock their third signing of the summer.

The 35-year-old full-back will join the Brewers on a one-year deal following the expiry of his current contract at Wigan Athletic on June 30.

He joins Rochdale midfielder Matty Lund and record signing Liam Boyce in joining Albion ahead of the 2017/18 Championship season, and will bolster Nigel Clough's defensive options.

16 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Burton Albion have made former Liverpool and Derby County defender Stephen Warnock their third signing of the summer.

The 35-year-old full-back will join the Brewers on a one-year deal following the expiry of his current contract at Wigan Athletic on June 30.

He joins Rochdale midfielder Matty Lund and record signing Liam Boyce in joining Albion ahead of the 2017/18 Championship season, and will bolster Nigel Clough's defensive options.

That means Warnock versus Warnock on the opening weekend of the Championship season :baby:

13:56

McCARTHY ON SIGNINGS

Mick McCarthy has confirmed Ipswich have agree a fee with Cardiff for Emyr Huws.

The 23-year-old Wales international was on loan at Portman Road last season.

Ipswich are close to agreeing loan move for Manchester City winger Bersant Celina.

And Steven Taylor is training with the Sky Bet Championship club with a view to joining.

Former Newcastle defender Taylor was at the club for second half of last season. 

Championship side Millwall have today confirmed on their official website the signing of Wolves duo Jed Wallace and George Saville on permanent deals.

23-year-old winger Wallace spent the second half of last season on loan at the Den, and in that time earned 21 appearances and scored three goals to help Neil Harris’ men secure promotion to the Championship via the play-offs.

I know everyone keeps talking about how we need pace and/or power, and I agree we could do with some in the squad, but I really don't think Carlos sees those attributes as anything like a priority when signing a player. 

He seems to like players with good football intelligence above anything else. Players who understand their roles and how important positional discipline is. 

It certainly explains why he shows such faith in Wallace, Lee, Hutch, Bannan, Hooper, FF, and now even Reach and Jones. I reckon Abdi would also fall into that category if he hadn't had the injuries. 

Any player with pace and/or power will have to fit that criteria first. If they don't we probably won't sign them. If we do, they won't often play until Carlos trusts them in that aspect. 

Players with everything are tough to find and likely out of our range anyway.

Ordinarily, I might have suggested we make an enquiry about those two Mexican wingers I'd mentioned earlier

But do that and there's a REAL danger this thread, all 131 pages of it, will get dumped in the NON SWFC FOOTBALL NEWS section

It's a risk I'm not prepared to take :ph34r:

I we do have £8-£10m to spend on another major signing, who would people like to see? I think someone who could replace Wallace or Reach, or at least put them under more pressure for their place.

Potential wide midfielders: What about Tom Ince from Derby, he's never proved himself in the Prem but still reasonably young, quick and proven goalscorer from midfield at Derby and Blackpool in the Championship. Or alternatively Jacob Murphy from Norwich playing for England U21s? I've not seen much of him, but if he's in the England squad he must be highly rated as most of those players are fringe Premier League.

If they are out of our price range did many of you see Ryan Kent at Barnsley last season? Right age and Liverpool might be looking to loan him out again. Didn't score many goals but hopefully he'd get more of the ball and chances to attack at Hillsboro.

6 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

I we do have £8-£10m to spend on another major signing, who would people like to see? I think someone who could replace Wallace or Reach, or at least put them under more pressure for their place.

Potential wide midfielders: What about Tom Ince from Derby, he's never proved himself in the Prem but still reasonably young, quick and proven goalscorer from midfield at Derby and Blackpool in the Championship. Or alternatively Jacob Murphy from Norwich playing for England U21s? I've not seen much of him, but if he's in the England squad he must be highly rated as most of those players are fringe Premier League.

If they are out of our price range did many of you see Ryan Kent at Barnsley last season? Right age and Liverpool might be looking to loan him out again. Didn't score many goals but hopefully he'd get more of the ball and chances to attack at Hillsboro.

Jota. Scores and assists for fun at this level and would be a great link between midfield and attack. 

Guest wilyfox
6 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Jota would be one of those players who comes here and flops 

That's the spirit lol

1 hour ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

I know everyone keeps talking about how we need pace and/or power, and I agree we could do with some in the squad, but I really don't think Carlos sees those attributes as anything like a priority when signing a player. 

He seems to like players with good football intelligence above anything else. Players who understand their roles and how important positional discipline is. 

It certainly explains why he shows such faith in Wallace, Lee, Hutch, Bannan, Hooper, FF, and now even Reach and Jones. I reckon Abdi would also fall into that category if he hadn't had the injuries. 

Any player with pace and/or power will have to fit that criteria first. If they don't we probably won't sign them. If we do, they won't often play until Carlos trusts them in that aspect. 

Players with everything are tough to find and likely out of our range anyway.

Thats how I believe Carlos sees it, hence his sprinter/basketball comments The thing is, those comments were a bit stupid, as I don't believe anyone is suggesting buying players who only have those 2 attributes He's already backtracked by deciding to bring Hutchinson back into midfield Think it's incredibly naive to think you can get success at this level without pace and/or power