Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

JOHN TERRY will sign for Aston Villa this weekend when his Chelsea contract has expired.

The former England captain becomes a free agent on Saturday and has not been offered new terms at Stamford Bridge.

The Daily Mirror claim Villa have outdone rivals Birmingham by giving Terry a £5m, one-year deal which also includes huge bonuses.

Harry Redknapp has accepted defeat in trying to sign the 36-year-old with Steve Bruce set to complete a massive transfer for the club.

Despite interest from West Brom, Swansea and Bournemouth, Terry wants the challenge of playing in the Championship and trying to earn promotion to the Premier League.

4 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

Ultra negative as normal 

Lets be fair. Since DC bought us most signings have been gash.

Not blaming DC at all, but we have signed a lot of sheeet.

I dont like 'utility' players, to me it just seens they are not good enough in a set position to start there every game.

Much like an experianced building site labourer, a good allrounder that will work hard and do a job, but you woulsnt want them rewiring your house or re routing your gas pipes.

10 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Terry is a real prat but as a Championship player he will probably do very well for Villa. 

With the likely outlay on wages I'm not sure he'll be value for money however well he plays.

If it were us signing him, I'd be a bit concerned with regards to his wages and FFP.

For what they're paying I think there's better out there.

4 minutes ago, lukestheman82 said:

I dont like 'utility' players, to me it just seens they are not good enough in a set position to start there every game.

Much like an experianced building site labourer, a good allrounder that will work hard and do a job, but you woulsnt want them rewiring your house or re routing your gas pipes.

Most signings have been gash you say? 

Really odd that by signing mainly gash players we have gone from a team fighting relegation to a team that last season hardly spent any time outside of top six. 

Youre not alone in your thinking, however I'd suggest that two years or so ago when Laverly was our one hope for goals that then our squad was gash as you put it. As now we have: 

- the top goal scorer ever in championship

- ex champions league striker that's played against Barca and Juve whilst at Celtic 

- A player that never played below top level in Fletcher

- up and coming Winnal that at point of signing had scored most goals in the last 12 months 

- FF 

- A Portuguese international is our fifth choice... 

you cant please everyone though! 

41 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Really odd that by signing mainly gash players we have gone from a team fighting relegation to a team that last season hardly spent any time outside of top six. 

Youre not alone in your thinking, however I'd suggest that two years or so ago when Laverly was our one hope for goals that then our squad was gash as you put it. As now we have: 

- ex champions league striker that's played against Barca and Juve whilst at Celtic 

- up and coming Winnal that at point of signing had scored most goals in the last 12 months 

- FF 

It wasn't their goals that brought us that success. Carlos's tactics, though maybe not to everyone's taste, are what have kept us at the top, despite our recruitment woes. Let's not forget, that although we've spent upwards of £35m on over 30 players, the core of our side are pre DC signings

13 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It wasn't their goals that brought us that success. Carlos's tactics, though maybe not to everyone's taste, are what have kept us at the top, despite our recruitment woes. Let's not forget, that although we've spent upwards of £35m on over 30 players, the core of our side are pre DC signings

That's the whole point of bringing in good players to make your squad better and those that are already good even better. 

In the last two years I'd argue that Lee is better, that Lees is better, that Hutchinson is better. They raise their game or they get left behind. 

The falacy is our signings are ALL poor. Mainly gash - like yourself I've questioned logic of some of signings but not the quality of the players. 

To change a team so wuickly you will make mistakes. On the whole I'm content to pleased with the squad in every area. Could we improve yes, but with exception of center back we have at least 2 players in every spot that are decent championship players. 

Go back to pre D.C. And name best two players in each spot. We could make 2 to 3 teams now that would finish higher than we were pre D.C. 

40 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

That's the whole point of bringing in good players to make your squad better and those that are already good even better. 

In the last two years I'd argue that Lee is better, that Lees is better, that Hutchinson is better. They raise their game or they get left behind. 

The falacy is our signings are ALL poor. Mainly gash - like yourself I've questioned logic of some of signings but not the quality of the players. 

To change a team so wuickly you will make mistakes. On the whole I'm content to pleased with the squad in every area. Could we improve yes, but with exception of center back we have at least 2 players in every spot that are decent championship players. 

Go back to pre D.C. And name best two players in each spot. We could make 2 to 3 teams now that would finish higher than we were pre D.C. 

Actually, thats true, there has been a major improvement in most of the existing players, a lot of it down to Carlos and the coaching team, but undoubtably down to stiffer competition for places We probably could field three sides that would fair better than previous teams, but I'd say that's a bit overkill. Better targeted signings may have given us a better starting eleven, while still giving the depth we need.

39 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

- FF 

Add Abdi to that list, an excellent attacking midfielder who had rave reviews in the EPL and proven at this level.

It isn't what we've signed its how they have been used.

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Actually, thats true, there has been a major improvement in most of the existing players, a lot of it down to Carlos and the coaching team, but undoubtably down to stiffer competition for places We probably could field three sides that would fair better than previous teams, but I'd say that's a bit overkill. Better targeted signings may have given us a better starting eleven, while still giving the depth we need.

If you look back at the squad 3 years ago and compare its crazy to see how far we've come in such a short time. Have we been scatter gun at times, yes. But when you're starting from so far behind you have to be.

To sign one good player is hard, to sign 15-20 (which is what we probably needed) is near enough impossible without mistakes. 

But its different now. We don't need 20 or 10 or even 5. It's harder to improve good to great than it is bang average to good. 

This seasons transfers are the test in my opinion. 

The trouble is other teams know we have money and stick another million or 2 on the price of a player. 

PL teams don't need the cash so are in the driving seat and roughly 16 teams think they have a chance of going up meaning they don't want to sell to a "Promotion Rival". 

Shoppng abroad is a gamble too. It's not easy this transfer business. 

I do think we should have been in for Curtis Davies though. Would have been a good signing for us at a ridiculous price. 

39 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Add Abdi to that list, an excellent attacking midfielder who had rave reviews in the EPL and proven at this level.

Thing is, we can't have it both ways We have been successful these last couple of years, so in a way, Carlos's use of his players has been justified. 

5 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

...which is mostly down to the fact he's been unfit to play for most of his time here.

Hopefully we'll finally see the best of him in a Wednesday shirt this season, as last season must have been incredibly frustrating for both Abdi and Carlos.

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Can't say I've seen much of Klose, but he was all over the place against us at Hillsborough He was even losing out in headed duals with Rhodes

How humiliating, losing out to one of if not the championships best ever goal scorer for a header or two 

1 hour ago, lukestheman82 said:

Disagree there. Most signings have done well enough to have us knocking on the door. There were some dodgy ones during the committee stage which lead to an overlap in the buying of players for similar positions after it was disbanded but even last summer and in Jan we strengthened up front and out wide. Question marks remain over centre half depth and our love of midfielders who have the same attributes though.

30 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Thing is, we can't have it both ways We have been successful these last couple of years, so in a way, Carlos's use of his players has been justified. 

I see your point but I would say we've been bang average for much of the season. When we played with balance we looked at good team and results reflect that, when we've shoehorned players in to the team we've looked awful and struggled. 

I accept we've had injuries and that hasn't helped team selections but Carlos has shown time and again when he gets a near enough a full team to pick from he reverts back to shoehorning.

This team is very capable of better than it showed last season and last season the top 2 was very achievable.