Jordan Rhodes yesterday

At times he looked sluggish and people are probably thinking of the couple occassions where he was closing defenders down and it looked like he had lead in his boots.

But you know what..... He didnt stop. He carried on right until the end of the game, still closing down both their full backs, so fair play to him.

Would rather have an un-matchfit JR coming off the bench than a fully fit jay Bothroyd starting.

1 minute ago, Miffed said:

At times he looked sluggish and people are probably thinking of the couple occassions where he was closing defenders down and it looked like he had lead in his boots.

But you know what..... He didnt stop. He carried on right until the end of the game, still closing down both their full backs, so fair play to him.

Would rather have an un-matchfit JR coming off the bench than a fully fit jay Bothroyd starting.

Fair points

And I'd rather have Andy Rhodes coming off the bench than Bothroyd starting

3 minutes ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

Fair points

And I'd rather have Andy Rhodes coming off the bench than Bothroyd starting

If you watched him he had been closing down like mad from the minute he came on...We commented on it ..And I think he had sprinted back and forth so much in a short space of time he was knackered...

He's a peculiar one - he doesn't have the athleticism of the really top class players nor the pace nor the invention. He's like a modern day Derek Hales. 

If you didn't know his reputation and his goalscoring history you'd never think he was a £10m man - but of course if he scores the winner at Wembley because of a piece of inspired finishing it will be money well spent. 

I seem to remember people on here slagging off Gary Hooper both this season and last in a similar vein, purely because they fail to recognise the difference between an intelligent footballer and a lazy one, the fact we pressed after the substitutions yesterday speaks volumes .

Edited by Owl999

2 hours ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

Didn't post this last night as I didn't want it to appear a negative point after a very positive performance.

But did anyone else think his work rate looked well below par yesterday when he came on? He wasn't harrying the opposites in his usual way and seemed sluggish to me. He looked like he'd played 80mins not 20.

Could he be carrying an injury? Or have face on for being left out of the 11? 

Genuinely not a critiscm, just an observation

We went 2-1 up soon after he came on. Maybe on going into the lead, he was told to not chase the opposition and to fall back more to allow us to be more compact and harder to break down?

I think we will see a rejuvenated Jordan Rhodes next season when he's had a full pre-season and then has played in matches from the start, which I'm pretty sure he will.  in the meantime, when h'e on the pitch there's always a chance that he will score or create a goal.  It's fantastic that we have such talent in our squad to choose between for the two positions up front.

2 hours ago, SiJ said:

Guys barely played any football all season. Here he has been in and out of the side so perhaps his match fitness isn't quite there. 

He runs like he's sh*t himself anyway. 

A few around me also thought the same as the OP & id agree he lucked off the pace. I agree with SiJ as to why.

We won't see the best of him til next year. Truth is he may never fully hit his best form after so much time out with Boro.

Mobility & pace are not really his key attributes anyway. That's why Boro didn't want him playing as a lone striker. 

Hooper was getting right in a few players' ears yesterday for most of second half, Rhodes was certainly one of them. I was getting a bit annoyed with it, as he seemed to be telling everyone around him exactly where to play.

But then he scored and we won, so I thought "ah, ok, Hoops next captain then?" lol

2 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Hooper was getting right in a few players' ears yesterday for most of second half, Rhodes was certainly one of them. I was getting a bit annoyed with it, as he seemed to be telling everyone around him exactly where to play.

But then he scored and we won, so I thought "ah, ok, Hoops next captain then?" lol

I noticed that. Had face on when he was subbed as well, got some right fire in his belly since coming back from injury, great to see.

9 minutes ago, lee81 said:

I noticed that. Had face on when he was subbed as well, got some right fire in his belly since coming back from injury, great to see.

Yep he looked really peed off, clapped the fans and gave Semi a big bear hug though so thankfully wasn't a full flounce. lol

Tbf I bet it was awful being injured and watching Rhodes & Winnall come in. He's playing brilliantly though, his calm link-up play and physical strength are so noticeable. Tough for Sam at the mo but I'm thrilled we have such amazing rotation options from start of next season, wherever we are. We should be able to field a genuinely dangerous team every week.