Jordan Rhodes yesterday

TBH I thought he looked like he was lacking confidence and wasn't too sure whether he should be chasing the ball down or leaving it. A few times he was just stood there with players running past him. He definitely needs a goal to get him back in to form. 

Not it too worried though if fletcher and hooper keep playing like they are. Once Rhodes has had a pre-season with us he'll be hitting 20 plus goals for us nailed on.

It's really difficult for us fans to do, but if you watch him (and opposition defenders awareness of him) closely, as a scout would, you will see why he is so highly rated, and the highest overall scorer in English football since 2009. His awareness, predatory instinct, movement, pulling out of position of defenders etc, is first class. He's an excellent front player to have around, whether or not it is him who is actually scoring the goals. ,  and he is a very long way from a spent force at this level. Having said all of that, it is true that he hasn't had too much playing time in recent months, and is obviously not fully match sharp.  

As others have said, he will begin another run of goalscoring soon enough. Form is temporary, class permanent. 

15 hours ago, alan48 said:

On what I've seen so far , not sure I'd want to spend £ 10 mill on him .

Maybe not but signing a strike force of Rhodes, Forestieri, Hooper, Fletcher & Winnall for a total of £16m is an absolute fekking steal.

23 hours ago, pgmetcalf said:

Then again the other week against Cardiff he had a right crack at goal and was unfortunate not to score, but FF was there to pounce on the rebound

And against QPR he was very unfortunate to score with his header with Pudil scoring the rebound instead

OP (and others) making something out of nothing. He's not a pacey striker and thrives on crosses in the box and is always looking for someone to play him behind but no-one ever sees him, neither which we as a side do very well. As someone else also said, we soon reverted to leaving him up top on his own, which again isn't suited for him

Model professional though

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 08:23, Cosby Blunkett said:

Didn't post this last night as I didn't want it to appear a negative point after a very positive performance.

But did anyone else think his work rate looked well below par yesterday when he came on? He wasn't harrying the opposites in his usual way and seemed sluggish to me. He looked like he'd played 80mins not 20.

Could he be carrying an injury? Or have face on for being left out of the 11? 

Genuinely not a critiscm, just an observation

Said the same to my pal. His work rate of not closing down and allowing them to stroll out of defense was poor. Like you said he had only just come on so I don't buy the not match fit excuses. Like you say your not been negative just asking a question

On 23.4.2017 at 09:23, Cosby Blunkett said:

Didn't post this last night as I didn't want it to appear a negative point after a very positive performance.

But did anyone else think his work rate looked well below par yesterday when he came on? He wasn't harrying the opposites in his usual way and seemed sluggish to me. He looked like he'd played 80mins not 20.

Could he be carrying an injury? Or have face on for being left out of the 11? 

Genuinely not a critiscm, just an observation

Remember when Gary Hooper joined us, he wasn't match fit at all.

His first appearance was Oct 31 (2015) and he played seven matches (two in XI and five as sub, average of 45 mins per match) - without scoring a single goal.

Then the levee broke and he scored 10 goals in 11 matches between Dec 15 and Feb 13 (ten appearances in XI and one as a sub, average of 83 mins/match).

Don't worry about Jordan Rhodes. He'll do his job as soon as he finds the auto fire switch.

Think its fair to say that up until now we have not see the best of Jordon Rhodes.

Partly due to not playing to his strengths. We don't seem to create many chances in a game for him. Apart from Pen at Leeds I cant really remember him missing a good chance.

I am confident he will come good and not writing him off yet but not justified the transfer fee and wages so far.

16 minutes ago, Owling Wolfe said:

Typical Owlstalk mentality. We've been dreaming of Jordan Rhodes for 5 years or more then when we actually get him he's not good enough.

I've never said he's not good enough.

To gauge opinion and invite reasonable discussion,  I make a statement based on one performance and my honest opinion of it.

I clarify that said statement was in no way a critiscm.

Yet somehow this is seen as negworthy slagging off of a player.

"Typical Owlstalk mentally"

Edited by Cosby Blunkett

When Rhodes came on at the weekend, two minutes later we equalised and then ended up going on to win the match. Not a bad impact that.

I also think what most people are forgetting is that he's a part of a team who have now won 5 on the bounce and stand a fantastic chance of finishing third in the league. Football isn't about individuals, it's about the team. Just appreciate him while we've got him, and enjoy the fact we're winning matches and playing well again. It's a great time to be an Owl, and Rhodes can help fire us to the Prem

On 23/04/2017 at 08:29, Lincs Owl said:

I thought the same. I was there when he scored four for Huddersfield so I know he's class.    For some reason its not working for him here.  No idea why.  Suppose its cos he feeds on crosses and we aren't always good with the service.   No matter, Carlos has more decent strikers to pick from than I can remember. And I've been going since the fifties.  Maybe he's not 100% match fit.  

Not working for him here - he's only been here a few months, him time to settle into it. Personally I think he has made a very good contribution but he does so in a "quite way", he's never going to play and look like FF but that doesn't mean he's not adding to the overall performances - i think he will be an extremely good signing for us.

1 hour ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

I've never said he's not good enough.

To gauge opinion and invite reasonable discussion,  I make a statement based on one performance and my honest opinion of it.

I clarify that said statement was in no way a critiscm.

Yet somehow this is seen as negworthy slagging off of a player.

"Typical Owlstalk mentally"

I wasn't necessarily referring to the OP Cosby

8 hours ago, nowlegian said:

Remember when Gary Hooper joined us, he wasn't match fit at all.

His first appearance was Oct 31 (2015) and he played seven matches (two in XI and five as sub, average of 45 mins per match) - without scoring a single goal.

Then the levee broke and he scored 10 goals in 11 matches between Dec 15 and Feb 13 (ten appearances in XI and one as a sub, average of 83 mins/match).

Don't worry about Jordan Rhodes. He'll do his job as soon as he finds the auto fire switch.

Exactly.

He will score two or three in quick succession, then never look back in a superb Owls career.

19 hours ago, RocketOwl said:

To be honest I've said this before. Rhodes doesn't harrass defenders with any purpose. He runs as if he's just doing it to look like he's tracking back where as FF and Fletxher track with intent and aggressiveness.

I am afraid Rhodes Is not looking like the player we would have hoped for.

Bit like a few weeks ago Carlos not looking like the manager we'd hoped for according to some!!!

Guest RocketOwl
25 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Bit like a few weeks ago Carlos not looking like the manager we'd hoped for according to some!!!

Not me.