Jordan Rhodes yesterday

Guest Ash76

He's got some good attributes but I never thought we'd sign a centre forward slower than Nuhiu.

Hopefully the brilliant deal Carlos spoke about is better than any of us could imagine.

It's good to have him around but I'm afraid to say that he'll never achieve his previous goal ratios at this level imo, still hope he proves me wrong

5 hours ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

Didn't post this last night as I didn't want it to appear a negative point after a very positive performance.

But did anyone else think his work rate looked well below par yesterday when he came on? He wasn't harrying the opposites in his usual way and seemed sluggish to me. He looked like he'd played 80mins not 20.

Could he be carrying an injury? Or have face on for being left out of the 11? 

Genuinely not a critiscm, just an observation

I don't think pointing out flaws in a performance is overly negative - it keeps everybody grounded. Nobody is above reproach - Carlos, Chansiri, our potential record breaking signing, nobody. It's when it's OTT and agenda driven that it get people's backs up. Fair play for a balanced and genuine point of view.

Like people have said, I'm guessing it's purely match fitness. He seems to be having a positive impact though, we've scored a fair few after he's come on, whether that is his movement or just the attention he gets I can't comment because I'm one of dem part timers atm :duntmatter:

Do we have to sign him in the summer? I know a fee is agreed but I'm guessing we can pull out if we wanted?

Could they chuck in Daniel Ayala as well prettiest of pleases? :manager:

We have two strikers now in Rhodes and Hooper who could both be a 20 goal striker in this division given the right team around them.

Both are actually being asked to play slightly differently to how they made their name, and to be fair to both they are just getting on with it - and it seems to be working.

I think that's the crux of the matter.    I don't give a flying who scores, but I do know that Rhodes has made quite a lot of our recent goals without actually getting the credit for it - THAT's not his usual game and that is Carlos' choice to play him that way.    While it's working I won't argue.

I'd also like to add, that Fletcher seems to be relishing playing with these two guys right now and he's reaping a lot of the benefits where normally he'd be the guy who was marked out of the game normally.    He's getting the time and the space and it's really helping him.

20 minutes ago, salmonbones said:

I'd also like to add, that Fletcher seems to be relishing playing with these two guys right now and he's reaping a lot of the benefits where normally he'd be the guy who was marked out of the game normally.    He's getting the time and the space and it's really helping him.

A season with Rhodes, Hooper and Fletcher as a pick any two from three strikeforce would be magnificent.

6 hours ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

Didn't post this last night as I didn't want it to appear a negative point after a very positive performance.

But did anyone else think his work rate looked well below par yesterday when he came on? He wasn't harrying the opposites in his usual way and seemed sluggish to me. He looked like he'd played 80mins not 20.

I said exactly the same, he looked 10 miles off the pace and has done since he's been here for me 

He looked exhausted with 10 minutes to go. 

The matches Jordan has played.

P16. W10. D2. L4  GF25. GA14 Pts 32

Thats 1/3 of the season at 90+ Pts per season / 75 goals per season form.

Whatever Jordan is doing for us it's not detrimental.

Buying him has allowed us the ability to play two out and out strikers, as many on here have wanted all season. It's clearly working.

Edited by Holmowl

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Buying him has allowed us the ability to play two out and out strikers, as many on here have wanted all season. It's clearly working.

You could say an extra positive is that he's not played well in any of those appearances so when he does we can only get better 

However I do think if this was purely a loan deal we wouldn't go anywhere near him next year if we had to pay £10m 

If nothing else, having him playing gives others a better chance of scoring, Rhodes had 2 defenders on him for our first goal yesterday dragging the man who should have been covering the 6-yard box away from their position. If he is allowing others to score through movement and fear from defenders then that's as good as scoring in my eyes. We're aiming to get promoted, how many everyone scores doesn't matter if they play their role in making that happen.

1 minute ago, torres said:

You could say an extra positive is that he's not played well in any of those appearances so when he does we can only get better 

However I do think if this was purely a loan deal we wouldn't go anywhere near him next year if we had to pay £10m 

I posted several times (as is my habit) that he scores in batches then goes very quiet for long runs. Looks like he is in the middle of a quiet run. As you say, if the team are this successful in his quiet spell we should be devastating when he hits his straps.

I disagree about not buying him though. He will score 20 next season if we stay at this level. I still wouldn't rule out him scoring Four or five more before the end of May.

1 hour ago, salmonbones said:

We have two strikers now in Rhodes and Hooper who could both be a 20 goal striker in this division given the right team around them.

Both are actually being asked to play slightly differently to how they made their name, and to be fair to both they are just getting on with it - and it seems to be working.

I think that's the crux of the matter.    I don't give a flying who scores, but I do know that Rhodes has made quite a lot of our recent goals without actually getting the credit for it - THAT's not his usual game and that is Carlos' choice to play him that way.    While it's working I won't argue.

Well done from Hooper, crucial goal & mom performance yesterday, but nothing to suggest he'll get 20 in a season.

1 in 5 since his return. 

17 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

And that includes the bad run that had people on here slitting their wrists.

5 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I posted several times (as is my habit) that he scores in batches then goes very quiet for long runs. Looks like he is in the middle of a quiet run. As you say, if the team are this successful in his quiet spell we should be devastating when he hits his straps.

I disagree about not buying him though. He will score 20 next season if we stay at this level. I still wouldn't rule out him scoring Four or five more before the end of May.

If you were going on performances for us I'd be questioning your sanity if you were willing to splash £10m on him 

I think most of us are hoping beyond hope this is just a big blip in an otherwise successful goal scoring career. 

9 minutes ago, torres said:

If you were going on performances for us I'd be questioning your sanity if you were willing to splash £10m on him 

I think most of us are hoping beyond hope this is just a big blip in an otherwise successful goal scoring career. 

Go back through his career and you will see many "blips" exactly like this one or even longer. One goal in sixteen last season at one stage.

BUT, he then goes on runs of games where he doesn't stop scoring. And over a season, 16-25 goals.

We are going through such a period but winning. 

Rhodes is a team player not a greedy striker, works hard for the team.Feel he is still getting up to speed after so little action at Boro for 12 months.

He is a quality finisher and will come good with goals to get us up to the Premier league

6 hours ago, zzmdu said:

Well done from Hooper, crucial goal & mom performance yesterday, but nothing to suggest he'll get 20 in a season.

1 in 5 since his return. 

His 13 in 29 last season suggests he will, given a fair wind with injuries.

Guest RocketOwl
14 hours ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

To be honest I've said this before. Rhodes doesn't harrass defenders with any purpose. He runs as if he's just doing it to look like he's tracking back where as FF and Fletxher track with intent and aggressiveness.

I am afraid Rhodes Is not looking like the player we would have hoped for.