Is reach a total waste of money

He constantly loses the ball and never beats a defender. Seems to lack confidence and strength. Always letting other players make the cross or win the ball back. I've never seen him impose himself or out do the other team in defence or attack. For £5 million I think Middlesbrough are laughing at us. We have a quality player in macca and he should be playing instead of reach. He was the worst player at Wigan and he definitely stood out as a liability and Wigan pushed him around. He's young and might come true but as we're hopping for promotion can we really give him the time.

hes not a waste because cc doesnt give him freedom because of the tactics, watch and see reach playing centre mid sometimes and tucking in. When he played for preston he was used as a winger and caught the eye. We are not using him how we should so tbh hes a waste in our current tactics also dont forget hes had to play in front of a bad left back for half a season so hes had to play two positions some times covering pudil. I would give him another pre season and see how he performs, especially if we are still in championship.

Edited by Animal

6 minutes ago, Totleyowl1 said:

He constantly loses the ball and never beats a defender. Seems to lack confidence and strength. Always letting other players make the cross or win the ball back. I've never seen him impose himself or out do the other team in defence or attack. For £5 million I think Middlesbrough are laughing at us. We have a quality player in macca and he should be playing instead of reach. He was the worst player at Wigan and he definitely stood out as a liability and Wigan pushed him around. He's young and might come true but as we're hopping for promotion can we really give him the time.

no

He's yet to make me think 'oooo that was good' - literally, not once. At the minute i'd say yes, waste of money. Not going to write him off though and i'll give him my support as he's our player. Needs to drastically improve though

The price tag is insignificant. Thats just football these days, i'll never read too much into any transfer figure. 

5m seems expensive but in today's market it's the going rate. He will improve and has lots of potential. You can see some auality in there. Whilst I think he is performing ok and not pulling up any trees I beleive there is much more to come from him. Thing is too at his age if he does end up being a flop we will still recieve a decent fee for him if he is moved on.

10 minutes ago, Totleyowl1 said:

:baby:

Please see one of the other threads asking the exact same thing. Save us all some time. There's a small, vocal group of fans that like to boo him, there's a small group of fans that will vocally support him and there's a larger group that are just watching football.

Give the lad a chance, anyone that knows a good footballer can tell he's got talent.

In fact I'd personally put him at almost the exact same status Brunt had with us some times, a few vocal fans slating him all the time despite it being painfully obvious that he had class. Whelan got pelters too and was far too good for us at the time.

From what I hear we paid nearer 3m than the 5 mentioned by the OP. Getting to 5m is based on a few things appearances, promotion etc.

This is the going rate was a good young English player proven in the championship. In today's market I don't think it is bad value. 

I feel our fans judgement of a player is clouded by the transfer fees. Which is dangerous as our fans aren't used to equating a transfer fee to expectation given the amounts we've normally spent on players in the last 17 years. 

Suddenly we start spending a few million on a player and fans expect him to dominate whilst not realising a few million in football these days doesn't get you what it did the last time we were throwing such sums around in the mid-late 90s.

People talk about potential and yes, he's only youngish and should improve, but he wont get any quicker.

We need speed on the wings to get behind defence, something we rarely do because we have none.

Forestieri is the most effective on the left(as we all know), he's no Usain but has the trickery to get past defenders,

he aint worth 5 million don't think anyone would argue about that one ,prob 500k about right , wouldn't say he was our worst player at wigan id say there were quite a few as bad if not worse ,jones had a shocker pudil hunt were there usual poor selfs . I thought sasso did well considering he hardly ever plays ,though playing him every week I'm not sure if he would get found out .id be tempted to play fessi on left and fox full back on Friday though not sure if we could risk that for away games .