Is reach a total waste of money

Reach will play.

He works his socks off, runs for miles, understands what Carlos wants him to do and if anybody takes time to watch this is often very different week to week.

Reach is one of the players along with Wallace, Bannan and FF that allows Carlos to make tactical changes, often during the game, and understands what he needs to do

Short answer no , I doubt the initial fee was £5 million so he probably didn't cost as much as the OP states and how much have other young Left sided English players gone for.

Carlos has played him regularly and he's obviously doing as he's asked or he wouldn't be in the squad. 

If if you want to see wasted money at Hillsborough look at the people buying overpriced food and drink on match days lol 

Just don't think he's shown that self belief and perhaps what you could call arrogance that all top players seem to have. There's been games this season where for spells he's looked the best player on the pitch only to then drift out of the game. Just feel he could use his size and ability to scare the opposition a bit more rather than play safe with a sideways pass, it frustrates the hell outta me.

Kinda wish the price tag wasn't hanging over him as we'd all be saying how valuable his versatility was to the team and how its improved us. However most fans aren't gonna be happy with a 5mil utility player, that's just how it is.

3 hours ago, Totleyowl1 said:

He constantly loses the ball and never beats a defender. Seems to lack confidence and strength. Always letting other players make the cross or win the ball back. I've never seen him impose himself or out do the other team in defence or attack. For £5 million I think Middlesbrough are laughing at us. We have a quality player in macca and he should be playing instead of reach. He was the worst player at Wigan and he definitely stood out as a liability and Wigan pushed him around. He's young and might come true but as we're hopping for promotion can we really give him the time.

Thats the difference between Totley Owls and Dore Owls - we are sensible lol

6 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Will Carlos have the balls to drop him. I think there is a requirement to gives Rhodes a partner (not FF) so would he do that and move FF left wing?

Im not no sure

What's balls got to with it?

If Carlos thought it would improve the team he would drop him. Perhaps he just thinks we are better with him on the pitch.

How many more "Reach is not good enough threads"?

Seems a confidence player to me! He has shown what he can do, albeit not often enough!

Create the right atmosphere for him to play in and you never know he may just show us more than glimpses!

Maybe 5m was a little excessive bit how anyone can say he is a bad signing is beyond me. 

Hes a wide player currently playing in a side that plays stupidly slow football, is obsessed with defending and plays with zero width. It must be incredibly frustrating for a player like Reach to be unable to show what he can do when the team tactics play against his style. 

Reach is a good winger but is also very capable  (if not more so!) as a wing back. He can play well in a variety of positions and is a great player to have in the team. Hes not quite firing on all cylinders yet but tell me how many players we have who are at this present time.

Excellent signing if maybe a little expensive but welcome to modern day football. 

Edited by poite

Guest Deleted member

Is it really just me who sees a single post by someone, as negative as it is, and thinks 'Pork' and doesnt even bother responding?

Would anybody really feel motivated enough by Reachs performances to sign up for Owlstalk, and then post such a lengthy attack on one of our players and then not even respond to 4 pages of comments?

18 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Is it really just me who sees a single post by someone, as negative as it is, and thinks 'Pork' and doesnt even bother responding?

Would anybody really feel motivated enough by Reachs performances to sign up for Owlstalk, and then post such a lengthy attack on one of our players and then not even respond to 4 pages of comments?

I just think 'site-traffic' and don't bother responding.

Wink.gif.6e4554641fd63ea6b335bb48592d529f.gif

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

4 hours ago, Totleyowl1 said:

He constantly loses the ball and never beats a defender. Seems to lack confidence and strength. Always letting other players make the cross or win the ball back. I've never seen him impose himself or out do the other team in defence or attack. For £5 million I think Middlesbrough are laughing at us. We have a quality player in macca and he should be playing instead of reach. He was the worst player at Wigan and he definitely stood out as a liability and Wigan pushed him around. He's young and might come true but as we're hopping for promotion can we really give him the time.

Good start mate. You're a full weight .......

It is plain to see what a good player Reach is. Hard working, very skilfull, and inteligent on the pitch, though perhaps playing bit questionable role in our team. Never deployed as a classic winger, but more like a wide player that likes of Bannan, Forrestieri... play of.

3 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

There is a good player in their just not producing on the pitch at the moment.

Needs to be dropped and see if Macmanamn can produce!

the way we play he's ideal on the left he's a good defender and does ok going forward .....mcmanaman i'd guess is decent  going forward but think he'd lack a bit on the defensive side ......it's reach for me everytime  in the present system

1 hour ago, Grandad said:

Tbh I can't believe the lack of "pork comments" first time post and it's negative. I've seen him play a lot this season and wanted to see what the majority thought. Personally I can't believe we've got a player like mcmanaman on the bench and reach never misses a game. He gets my support when I'm at the game though and I hope he comes good

1 hour ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

When you buy a young player you are buying potential and ability; not the finished article.

Yeah any young player has potential but we have better players ready to take his place and other players in his role are not finished developing. We've got other options. Maybe reach should sit on the bench and learn to fight. If he watched mcmanaman then he could even learn more than he is by playing poorly

5 hours ago, SiJ said:

Yeah...let's slag off one of our players. 

It's a forum so yeah it's to be expected and hear what others have to say. He gets a lot of stick at games along with pudil. I like pudil though. I don't slag players off at the games. I give them 100% support but on here it's completely different

4 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

first off, no he doesn't constantly lose the ball, you've probably seen him lose it once or twice and people tend to only remember the bad stuff 

against wigan I saw him beat his man on at least 2 occasions 

he covers a lot of ground and is all over the place, got great energy levels

I think he lacks confidence a tad. He needs to be more decisive and clinical 

but a total waste of money? hell naw, david jones now he is a total waste 

Well any player that doesn't get a game is a waste of money so although I think jones is a good player. If he doesn't play then I'd agreee he's a waste. Definitely lacks confidence but sometimes having a player sit on the bench and work hard in training to get a start can build more confidence than simply being given a starting role and contributing less than other players