Which Sheffield Wednesday players have you met?

Other than meeting quite a few of the players from last 2 or 3 years with my lad at the ground my meetings have been ........

Waddle and Palmer at Burger Van outside Leadmill.  Palmer was at Leeds at this point so we abused his and Waddle joined in. Ordered our food and Waddle paid for everyone's.

Paul Williams - bought his house.

Graham Coughlan - lad played football with his Son.  Used to talk to him but could not understand a word !

Also met Dave Allen on holiday in Cyprus.  Seemed a nice fella and not a cretin at all.  Spent an evening with him and his wife and they were a lovely couple.  He also picked up the bill - a theme here.

All of the current lot apart from the more recent ones, Fletcher, Abdi, Buckley etc. All nice enough blokes. Liam Palmer and Kieran Lee in particular. Saw Glenn Whelan, Graham Kavanagh, Lee Grant and Richard Hinds (not 100% sure it was him but it looked like him) in Broomhill in late 2007 and my dad said to Whelan, "keep us up eh Glenn" and he gave a thumbs up. He left a few months later (Whelan not my dad).

Remember moving to Clowne (more passed thro' than ever lived in) and over the first few years we had a pub in nearby Bolsover, the Castle which stood on the corner near the pit and Area HQ, NCB, who's Landlord was one Bronco Laine. 

Also another in nearby Brimington, whose landlord was one Peter Swan. Spent quite a time in these pubs.

Never been into the idol thing, but my sister was - talking a long time ago.

Chris Woods and Chris Waddle were signing Autographs at ponds forge, my sister had a french pen pal at the time and had been sent a picture of Waddle playing for Marseille a bit before he had signed for us - and she asked if Waddle would sign it for her - well, he took an age to talk to her about the picture - he recounted the game and Woods was tutting and the lot but Chris Waddle really went to ground and loved someone bringing a photo like that for him to sign.

I was literally just stood there - never said a word!

Never did autographs but I was on  pitch when Ron Springett  scored in his benefit match.

John Quinn, Don Megson + lunched with him 5 years ago, Vic Mobley, John Fantham, Peter Swann. Peter Eustace 

Garry Megson, Terry Curran, Andy Mcullach, John Pearson 

David Hirst, Nigel Worthington, DiCannio and Benny Carbone

Jose Semedo, Reda Johnson and Miguel Liera

Barry Bannan and Keiran Westwood.,   

Ron starling, he owned the newsagent on middlewood road. Collected  money and delivered Sunday papers. 
I remember little else, only that he was the last captain to lift the FA cup. I am that old.

Many others over the years. David Laine owned the squirrel cafe bottom of our road.

Wilf Smith, and Peter Eustace. Invited a group of us from Hillsborough Park to training on the pitch at the ground. Different world back then.

Edited by christo
  • Like 1

Met loads, spoke to loads n got lots autographs for young en.

ones stand out more...

Gary Shelton visited our class in comp. He lived on lad at schools road in Beighton so got him come in for a talk. 

Leon Clarke at training ground grunted a few words, most miserable player ever 

Mel Sterland spoke to me while both having a pee in toilets in local pub. 

Phil King. Me n mate on way back from skeggy n drove past him stood on verge at j31 M1. I said that’s Phil King there so my mate slams breaks on n reverses back n we got out n spoke to him. Team coach had dropped him off for his Mrs to pick him up on way back from Southampton.  Had pic took with him. I was reet embarrassed but that’s what my mate was like, just didn’t gi a crap. Best thing after he said who the hell is Phil King ( not a footy fan) haha 

Benito Carbone. Bumped into him in meads just after Di Canio got the Red for pushing ref. Tried asking him about it but did a lot of shrugging shoulders etc, don’t think spoke much English. 

Antonio. Arranged to meet him at training ground so he could give me his match worn shirt for my lad. (Vs weeds when Kirkland got slapped) spoke to most of team in car park asking if he had arrived yet, Rhys McCabe was very welcoming n actually came to chat, Leroy Lita ignorant guy. Anyway Antonio had forgot shirt so we arranged to meet him n his Mrs in Meadowhall few days later. I had bought his Mrs Debbie some flowers n Jnr a owls teddy to say thank u so he took them. So when met them in meads Jnr had the teddy which was sweet and he signed shirt to my lad there n then. Very very nice family. 

On 03/11/2016 at 13:52, @owlstalk said:

shop3138-3024920.jpg

So during your time supporting Sheffield Wednesday which Owls players/managers have you met?

What have been your favourite experiences and has anyone ever met a player or manager and been less than impressed?

I bet there are some horror stories about from when Bothroyd 'played' for us

lol

Roger Wylde on bus going to ground. It was c. 1977!

Gary Shelton in Middlewood Road video shop.

John Harkes, Nat West bank Wadsley Lane.

Ian Bailey, neighbour

John Quinn, shop

Gerry Young, shop

Nigel Worthington, visit to dressing room with Charlie Wade and my son

Siggi Johnsson, as above

Ian Cranston, as above

Steve McCall, as above

Nigel Pearson, son was mascot V Forest c. 1987.

Chris Brunt and Brad Jones at the next table, Julios, Oughtibridge.

Glenn Whelan, walk past in Morrisons

Gary Megson, Walk past in Hillsborough park.

Oh and Iain Hesford RIP once pushed my car, with one hand, and with me steering. Big guy: great guy.

• Like 1