Which Sheffield Wednesday players have you met?

21 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Did you see Graham Hunter’s article on Simon Stainrod, the other week One of the most gifted players in British football at the time, and should have achieved far more than he did. From the outside, it appeared that he was one of those talented footballers, who never really loved the game

Not seen it, will hunt it out. I was only three or four at the time so don't have much recollection of the whole neighbor thing!

This is going back a bit, Keith Ellis. He worked for my grandad as a  draughtsman , at Edgar Allens on Shepcote Lane. He seemed a lovely lad and was impressed that I'd just passed to go to High Storrs. He was still part time then but soon went full and became centre forward in one of the best Wednesday sides in my lifetime. He took my new autograph book and later returned it full of the signatures of the Owls squad plus several teams they'd played against. Naturally, as a draughtsman, his was the neatest signature.

• Like 2

Mel Sterland, doing a car boot. Nice bloke, chatted ages.

Chris Waddle, at my sister’s 40th. Another down to earth nice bloke.

Nigel Pearson when he was still playing for us, approachable, chatty, nice bloke, joined in taking the pish out of Dave Bassett.

Supposed to be getting physio from Alan Smith’s son for my latest footie injury, but cancelled it when coronavirus kicked off.

Ian Holloway. Drinking buddy when he’s over in Blackpool. Still wants to manage us.

• Like 1

On 24/03/2020 at 02:33, Neal M said:

Used to work in Josephine’s so: Waddle, Wilson, Walker, Palmer, Hirst, Watson and loads more from that era.

Also remember players from other clubs used to be fairly regular. Bryan Robson. Dominic Matteo.

And I kid you not - Matteo’s tipple of choice was a double Metaxa and babysham in a pint glass.

I can still remember his drink from 1995, but I can’t recall whether I took my meds this evening.

Matteo’s tipple of choice was a double Metaxa and babysham in a pint glass.

lol

Nigel Pearson, he was giving out the trophies for Abbey Lane under 9's 87-88 season.

The team "organisers" got his mrs some flowers for helping out.......he turned up on his own and was rewarded with some carnations.lol

Edited by helmut_rooster

Carlton - top bloke

Mel Sterland - know his brother well and subsequently drank with em both a few times

Benito Carbone - in Nonnas just after he signed and he was a gent.

To name a few..

Edited by fatzooma

Can't find the picture now but ran into Reda in the away end at Forest when he was out of the team with injury.

Asked him for a photo with my then 6 year old daughter. He immediately scooped her up in his arms for the photo. I look down and he's got a bloody walking boot on a broken ankle. Thought it was class of him to do that in the circumstances.

A lot of the players I've met have been in an away end: Waddle, Pressman, Bannan.

Also got pictures of the girls with Nuhiu, Joao, Bannan, Wildsmith, Dawson, Jack Hunt and Milan.

Edited by Leaping Lannys Perm

On 03/11/2016 at 13:52, @owlstalk said:

shop3138-3024920.jpg

So during your time supporting Sheffield Wednesday which Owls players/managers have you met?

What have been your favourite experiences and has anyone ever met a player or manager and been less than impressed?

I bet there are some horror stories about from when Bothroyd 'played' for us

lol

once spent Paddy's night in the grapes on Trippet lane, it was a Friday, so you can imagine the carnage, Hugh Dowd was in there downing pints, next day i was hanging on to a barrier on the Kop feeling sheeit, he was playing

Used to play football with Mel Sterland, Charlie Williamson, Carl Shutt and Brian Cox.  Subsequently played a bit of cricket with Shutty.  All good down to earth lads - haven’t seen them for years but a good friend of mine is still in contact with Mel and says he hasn’t changed a bit.