Which Sheffield Wednesday players have you met?

12 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Usually do if it's children dint you? Most schools send out permission forms these days

It usually depends on whether the location is public or private as to whether you need permission to photograph someone, so in the mentioned case Burger King would've had to give the photographer permission (most likely they were involved in commissioning the photographer for the event anyway). The owner or tenant of the property usually displays some kind of written disclaimer regarding the photos' usage, but the photographer usually owns the images and the client normally has the right to use them according to their agreement with the photographer. In a public space a photographer doesn't normally need permission to photograph somebody, but there are exceptions to the rule. Personally I don't normally photograph children, so I don't know the exact rules for that.

I was DJing in Josephines on the night that L**ds and the pigs were promoted and we were relegated from the first division, a few of the L**ds and pigs players came in and I had a chat with Imre Banana and Mel Sterland, what sticks out in my mind was they had rate nice suits on and a L**ds shirt under it.

Roll on a bit and it was the weekend after John Harkes had ripped Derby a new anus with a wonder goal, (which was the first game I saw Tango with his top off and it was proper taters), anyroad I saw John Harkes on the dance floor and shouted over the mic that if we needed anyone kicking out, i'd get him to do it. Had a chat later and even ended up getting an invite to his wedding.

By far the most surreal was sitting in a box at Hillsborough as my company were associate matchday sponsors and doing the quiz they used to have before a game with Chris Waddle. looking across from you and having Chris Waddle looking into your eyes as you are both trying to work out who scored the golden goal for Germany in the euro 96 final is unreal. He's a good bloke and we got to hang with him and Gazza a couple of weeks later.

photo.jpg

I'm on the right holding my now 19y/o daughter.

Edited by Alteredge

32 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Usually do if it's children dint you? Most schools send out permission forms these days

Newspapers publish crowd photos all the time. Street photos etc 

There is nothing to stop you taking photos in a public place or even over looking private property.

I guess the schools policy is to ask.

17 minutes ago, Alteredge said:

By far the most surreal was sitting in a box at Hillsborough as my company were associate matchday sponsors and doing the quiz they used to have before a game with Chris Waddle. looking across from you and having Chris Waddle looking into your eyes as you are both trying to work out who scored the golden goal for Germany in the euro 96 final is unreal. He's a good bloke and we got to hang with him and Gazza a couple of weeks later.

photo.jpg

Oliver Bierhoff

Met the whole team pre game as a kid, even got my picture in The Star.

was also invited to the training ground back in 93 with my then young sons. While most of them posed for photos, Chris Waddle, Des Walker, Chris Woods and Dan Pertrescu made a point of coming over and having a chat.  Shared a table with Waddle later that year in a packed Oasis, he was looking after his young in while the missus was Shopping.

image.jpeg

Met plenty. The ones I had a long chat with were:-

- Lee Peacock in Magaluf after the playoff final in 05. Reyt lad, his Mrs was ridiculous.

- Ryan Lowe after the Wycombe game. He was waiting at the station to send his Mrs back to Liverpool while he went out with the lads.

- Tony Kay in Southport last year. He was pretty open about how he had a bet on the game and that the one they got done for it was because they always lost at Ipswich no matter how well they played, they weren't throwing the game they just didn't think they'd win. He was also open about how he just slept with as many women as he could as often as he could.

• Thanks 1

I met a lot of them that lived on our estate, JJ, Steve McClean, Graham McClouchlin, Graeme Lee, Graham Whelan, Gary Madine, Undumbu-Unsungu, Akpo Sodje, Ola Tidman

Been in JJ's house a few times, my wife cooked a few meals for him, been in Sodje's too

Saw Lee Peacock and Adam Proudlove quite often but never met them

There's probably more that I can't remember

Saw Leon Clarke driving to JJ's a few times

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

In the summer of 1990 my auntie, who was working in the Deerlands Nursing home, called me and said there was an ex-SWFC player at the home with no friends or relatives, that he wasn't gonna be around for much longer, and asked given that I was a fan would I come over and chat with him about Wednesday.

I went up there and met Ted Catlin. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Catlin

I was inspired by memories which centred around our last FA Cup win. But I was saddened to find one of our best ever players telling me that no one at the club was interested in him and his situation, this despite the nursing home contacting the club and making them aware his situation.

This specific uplifting and at the same time sad encounter was why upon becoming chairman one of the things I immediately did was to ensure that all ex players knew the club was open to them and every effort would be made to make them feel like our club was again 'our club'.

My heroes were Mel Sterland, David Hirst, John Sheridan and Chris Waddle, I feel privileged to have gotten to know them in a professional capacity, and pleased to say that the saying of 'never meet your heroes or you will be disappointed' is way of the mark in my case.

• Like 4

My dad took me to one of the restaurants at the ground (not there any more) for my birthday. While we were waiting at the bar to sit down, the entire Wednesday team came in for a meal before they got on the coach to go to an away match. Couldn't believe my luck. I had a quick chat with Nigel Pearson (who was captain at the time) and Craig Shakespeare and both of them went round the other players and got me loads of autographs.

Met a number of players over the years main ones that stick out for me

Madine and Reda, met them both in Reflex in town on a Saturday night, theyde both only just signed for the club, Madine bought me a pint and we had a chat, really decent kid to be fair but he didn't half knock pint after pint back. Reda was a really friendly bloke to but didn't get chance to talk to him though much as he had these two complete doghead women allover him lol

Semedo and Llera, again in town in the Cuban bar just off West St, for anyone who's met Semedo before will know what a genuine nice bloke he is, you can tell the love and passion the guy has for the club. Llera was really quiet on the other hand.

Graham Coughlan, was sat at table next to him and his wife at Frankie and Bennies at Centertainment,  ended up spending ages chatting about everything in football. My missus and his wife ended up having their own conversation between them whilst me and him rabbeted on all night. I saw him again after that, unfortunately under more emotional circumstances as him and Sturrock both attended the funeral of Steve Fairbank, who lived near me and I played football with. Sure many of you will remember him and another lad, Shaun, died returning home from an away game against Coventry.

John Fantham

Peter Springett

Gary Shelton

Gary Megson

Terry Curran

Charlie Williamson

Jack Charlton

Chris Waddle

Carlton Palmer

Talked to Shelts & Megson together, Shelton couldn't get a word in, found Megson very interesting.

Met Pete Springett after he'd finished playing & was in the police, he worked on Park Hill flats for a bit with my mate, lovely bloke, so sad he passed away so young.

I was in awe of Big Jack, a very commanding personality, would hate to get wrong side of him.

Gerry Young when I was a nipper...Tony Toms and Mick Pickering in The Shoulder in Worrall promotion year...Toms lived in the village (was a bit if an arse tbh!) ...

Said hi to Derek Dooley a few years back when him and Warnock were walking into the ground all suited up and asked Warnock if he was there to see some proper football..he smiled then when DD walked off a bit in front turned round grinned and said "wee wee off"!!...