Which Sheffield Wednesday players have you met?

Drank with most of the '84 promotion team on their jolly in Magaluf for 3 days. Especially Megson, Varadi, Hodge and Shelton. Pearson and Mick Lyons also a couple of nights. 

Played football with Jimmy Mullen in Lanzarote. 

Watched Man Ure win the European Cup with peter Atherton in the bar.

These are the ones I've spent more than an hour with.

Edited by lanzaroteowl

Used to work in Josephine’s so: Waddle, Wilson, Walker, Palmer, Hirst, Watson and loads more from that era.

Also remember players from other clubs used to be fairly regular. Bryan Robson. Dominic Matteo.

And I kid you not - Matteo’s tipple of choice was a double Metaxa and babysham in a pint glass.

I can still remember his drink from 1995, but I can’t recall whether I took my meds this evening.

• Haha 1

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

In November 2018 I was visiting a mate in the Northern General. While there, I had a brief encounter with someone in a full body cast. I didn't think much of it at the time, but it later dawned on me that I'd just met Abdi. It was surreal. 

Edited by bobness
  • Haha 1

Met Ritchie Humphreys and Lee Briscoe at an England under 21s training camp in Swindon. I cycled 9 miles each way to get there (i think i was 11 at the time) my dad went nuts when he found out. Turned up in my Wednesday shirt and both came over for a chat. 

• Like 1

Last year I was photographing Millie Bright for one of our clients and I thought her agent looked familiar but I couldn’t quite place him. Later on I got chatting to her mum about Wednesday. She said “David used to play for them” and called the agent over. That’s when I recognised it was David Reeves. Seemed a decent guy.

I have met quite a lot of the players over the years but the best has to be Nigel Pearson

I was in my late 20 at the time, in the pub with my dad on a Saturday afternoon and who was sat at the bar none other than the man himself. I got talking to him and he was then working for the England set up and he was such a nice bloke, he lives in Sheffield as does all his family, he just had such a passion for the game and still kept track of how the club was doing.

That was the think from that team from the 90's Palmer, Hirst, Waddle, Sheridan, Pearson they all live and stayed around Sheffield - many of them from elsewhere but they still return when ever they can and often you see them at the games.

How many of the current crop of players can you say will still be living in and around Sheffield in the years to come that are not from Sheffield - not many.

On 03/11/2016 at 14:38, waynecoyne14 said:

wilkinson when he was teaching at abbeydale school

brian joicey working at a car dealership on chesterfield road

Met Brian Joicey outside his own second car dealership on Middlewood Road, near the training ground.  When I asked him about a car on the forecourt he said "although my name is over the door, better ask my mate, I just wash 'em!"

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

3 hours ago, Stoop said:

Saw Brian Laws in house of Fraser recently. We did that awkward thing when you’re walking towards each other and you keep shuffling in the same direction trying to get past each other

I saw him at Nottingham Xmas market last year. He was ice skating. Not very good actually 

Met most of Carlos/Luhukay squad at Owls in the park breakfast. All very pleasant. Nicest were Dawson and Kieran Lee. 

Going back, my dad took me for lunch at one of the restaurants at Hillsborough in the late 80s. All the players came in and I chatted to David Hirst, Craig Shakespeare and Nigel Pearson. Again all very pleasant. 

Haven't met any that were unpleasant or not willing to give time to fans. 

On 23/03/2020 at 20:42, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Never did autographs but I was on  pitch when Ron Springett  scored in his benefit match.

John Quinn, Don Megson + lunched with him 5 years ago, Vic Mobley, John Fantham, Peter Swann. Peter Eustace 

Garry Megson, Terry Curran, Andy Mcullach, John Pearson 

David Hirst, Nigel Worthington, DiCannio and Benny Carbone

Jose Semedo, Reda Johnson and Miguel Liera

Barry Bannan and Keiran Westwood.,   

Forgot two Pub Landlords, both left backs. Phil King and Ernest Blenkinsop.

Roger Wylde in 1980, he had come along to a Jumble sale opening. at my school. I talked to him about leaving Wednesday (he had recently signed for Oldham) and he said he didn't want to leave and it was all down to Jack Charlton. He said he couldn't wait to return to Hillsborough with Oldham and if he got the ball near the dug out he was going to smash it straight into Jacks face :biggrin:

Interesting thread and must have missed it last time round. 

Was at Salford Uni in 93/94 and got invited to a young lady’s 21st birthday party in Stretford, Manchester. 

Her old man was the coach of a youth football team and essentially saw John Sheridan through his formative years. He was invited and was more than willing to attend. 

Met him stood alone at the bar as was buying a drink - stood next to me. 

Didn't make a fuss - saw what his pint was, tagged it onto my round. Passed it over and said ‘1-0, 37 Minutes, Sun 21 April 1991’.... 

Never forget the look on his face of shock at first but then the realisation I was a Wednesday fan...... 

• Thanks 1

When I was 10 my half brothers dad setup a PR firm. He had bagged a Sanderson as a client for a few years. As well getting me surprise tickets to the first leg of the fa cup final against arsenal in 93 he also got the three of us a day in the directors box with all the trimmings for qpr at home in 94. Him and his son are Rangers fans. 

After the game we went downstairs and came across Des Walker who took us into the changing room to have a meet with this team. 

Was pretty odd to be honest as most of the players including des were in various states of undress but well whatever. 

I was desperate to meet Waddle and get an autograph and had in the same moment the best and worst experience of 10 y/o life. I turned a corner and there all suited and booted was the player idolised combing his hair hair in a dapper 90s grey suit. Very Diamond nights esque. At that point I said something along the lines of Mr Waddle can you sign my book. He picked up his bag and said" sorry pal, running late got to dash."

I subsequently found out later whilat watching the TV at my grandma's that he had to get to London to start the balls on the national lottery. 

After a few more introductions I couldn't take being waist height to Des in his briefs anymore so asked if we walk through the tunnel onto the pitch. 

It was a freezing evening and mist was coming off tbe ground, the lights all still on and was kind of breathtaking. 

At that moment Dan Petrescu came out for a warm down and proceeded to ha e a game with us at the kop end and crossed one in for me which I riffaled into the top corner ( shanked and it rolled in without touching the net) before I lept over the ad hoardings (fell over) and pretended to celebrate with a crowd member who was actually a steward doing post match clear up.

Great night. Except the result and almost being thrown out the box as my family members sang qpr songs in front of the entire owls board after Ferdinand sealed the win. 

Edited by UDMURT
  • Like 1