Which Sheffield Wednesday players have you met?

Too many to mention over the years, a few memories , 

Playing 3 card brag with Imre and Mel in a London hotel until it came light after going to the PFA awards .

Martyn Dooleys wedding at Bramall Lane when his dad was Chairman ( Dereck you legend and gentleman)

Trying to mark Terry Curren in a 5 a side game he was like a eel ,

Playing Golf with Waddler and beating him 

one of the nicest guys and only met him a few years ago Don Megson 

A few beers and golf with Hirsty over the years who always tells it how it is even in the Dave Allen years 

Another mention to Big Nige top bloke as is Brian Joicey who is a friend . 

On 25/03/2020 at 06:51, Binky Griptite said:

Simon Stainrod was my next door neighbor back in the day

Did you see Graham Hunter’s article on Simon Stainrod, the other week One of the most gifted players in British football at the time, and should have achieved far more than he did. From the outside, it appeared that he was one of those talented footballers, who never really loved the game

As for players I’ve met, not really many in recent times, but when I lived and worked in Sheffield, I met a fair few. Mark Bright stands out as someone you could have a proper conversation with, a really nice guy. Sheridan and Waddle, usually accompanied by Gazza, were complete pissheads, but were harmless enough. Megson on the other hand was a total bellend. 
Running clubs at the time, I got to know quite a few of the players, and it’s probably fair to say that most were not “cool” in that environment Funnily enough, you never saw the foreign players, accept for the players Christmas parties, where they tended to stick together, have a couple of drinks, and then leave. Some players, like Dallian RIP and Flash, spent more time in clubs than me.

edit A mention for Clinton as well, another nice guy

Edited by gurujuan

Met plenty over the years, all of 'em were sound and had time for chat/autograph, these were mainly at the ground. 

But used to work in Andy's records in Barnsley where Hirsty & Paul Williams were regular customers , both nice blokes, terrible taste in music though!!.

Met the mighty Carlton Palmer in a pub out Whirlow way, Sunday lunch time he wanders in in his stockport training gear orders a pint of guinness , which he downs pretty sharpish, gets another in and was happily chatting to people at the bar, had a quick word with him, absolutely lovely fella.

Des Walker on numerous occasions, his wife Sally was a friend from school, so got to meet a few of the forest lads who went on to play for us, ie Jemson and Clough and Crossley. 

Imre Varadi and Bob Bolder as a kid. 

And finally most of the playoff final team as I was in the corporate area with my lad, happiest day of his life as he has photos with most of the players. 

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

Mick Prendergast totally nice guy, and David Bronco Layne at his pub in Brightside. Both excellent people. Shame about Prendo hit by too many demons.

My sister nursed Mick Prendergast his final days, and confirms everything you say, that he was a lovely fella and had no bitterness about his predicament.   

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1