Which Sheffield Wednesday players have you met?

Met / bumped into plenty and played against Mel Sterland and Charlie Williamson loads in my youth.................played against John Quinns allstars as well when Peter Springett gave me MOM.

Ones i,ve actually spoken to

Mark Smith

Eric Potts 

Terry Curran

Gary Megson

Dalian Atkinson

Carlton Palmer

John Harkes

John Sheridan

Phil King

Also saw a Wed player in the early 80,s in a pub with a married woman who,s family i knew.............awkward !

Edited by sheriwozgod

I've met a few, best one though was hirsty.

we watched the first 20 mins of the blades v owls game together at hillsborough at one of those pie n peas n watch the away game events. We were the only ones stood up and he was effing and jeffing about how badly we were playing, really shocked me to hear my hero swearing.

he was right though and was a good laugh despite getting thumped in the first half by the blunts.

i guess it's my claim to fame when he said 

f me you can f ing drink

lol

6 hours ago, eguin said:

Don McEvoy, not many will have heard of him on here, he played for us mid 1950s to  late 1950's with over a 100 appearances.

He ran a pub during the 80s near where i lived in Brighouse 

Mac could usually be found on the day of a home match, having a quick pint around 1 pm in the Norfolk Arms at Grenoside.

When we had the old Sheffield Wednesday Supporters Club, the various branches often used to have an Annual Dinner, and it was traditional for the club to send hree or for players. From our branch in Hoyland, we still have a cruet set, won at one of our dances, 1961, I think, which the wife won doing a Spot Waltz with Don Megson. Also there was Gerry Young to whom I was chatting. Recognising his accent, I asked him where he was from. 'You'll not know it' he said, 'It's a little place called Primrose Hill, not far from..''

'Gateshead', I replied, 'Went through there to Felling and past, yesterday.' I was at Newcastle Uni., and in digs in S. Shields at the time. They were both Gentlemen, and very approachable, unlike their mate who went into another room to talk to one person. He was a cocky, big-headed little bar steward.  

Many of the older players stayed around the area after their playing days were finished. Ted Catlin used to be landlord of the Rose and Crown at Wadsley when it was a proper pub. Ron Starling had a newsagents shop opposite Hillsborough Library. Johnny Quinn and Gerry Young shared a sports shop on Middlewood Road. Jack Whitham ran the Wadsley Jack. All of them were really pleasant to talk with and they would frequently share stories of their playing days with supporters.

Met Ron Starling after the Rumbelows cup win in '91. My mum was a nurse and he was on her ward, she picked us up early from school pretending we were going to the dentist.

The club arranged to bring the cup in, it being the first major cup competition we'd won since the 1935 final in which he was captain. Dave Ri@!$*ds was there but can't remember which players of the time were present, was only 11. Got my photo with him and the cup.