Whelmometer - where is your whelm?

13 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

5/10

I had high expectations at the end of last season

I thought Moore would handle the clear out and subsequant rebuild a lot better than he has

Starting the season with 4 centre half's, 3 of whom were coming back from long term injuries was irresponsible, anyone with half a brain could see this was foolhardy at best, and complete incompetence at worst

Plus points for Moore

Players want to come to the club because of him

Negative points for Moore

He does better when he hasn't got a full squad to choose from, he chops and changes far too much

Do I think he can change things around

No, I think he is stuck in his ways

His he under achieving? Definitely, we have a squad of players who have played Championship level, one or two have played Premiership, is League 1 harder than the Championship or Premiership? Is it hell

It's all about setting the team up correctly, we are not playing to our strengths, we are looking at the opposition and picking a team to cancel their strengths out, while disregarding what we are good at

It's not rocket science, in Johnson and Hunt, we have two players who can put a dangerous ball in.

Stop playing about at the back, stop trying to thread the ball through a needle, get the ball out to Johnson or Hunt at every opportunity, get crosses in and aks questions of their back four

Against Gillingham we had two shots on target, the first one coming around the 72nd minute, against a team right down in the lower sections of the league

We spend far too long moving the ball around our back four, this is a tactic for when you are winning, when you haven't scored you get the ball out wide at every opportunity and pepper the opposition with crosses

Totally underwhelmed

For anyone who still thinks we will get promoted

Does this really feel like a promotion season? 2 shots on target v Gillingham, being turned over at Lincoln, failing to score more than once against Accrington

This is all down to the managers tactics

Great Post, sums up pretty much how I feel. Still think well make play offs, would love a day at Wembley if we possibly could. The fans certainly deserve it. 

• Like 2

We had a great run but have stalled... and we still are not in the play offs. Playoffs minimum we should expect. With what we know now promotion which ever way (top two out of reach ) should be obtained playoffs can be a lottery though) basically anything but promotion  is a definite  failure.... the quality we have played against ALL season should have mentioned we won far more games. Top 2 was realistic after all.... why has it taken 3/4 off the season to get any kind of gelling of the team. Feels like we might ...might creep in to the playoffs but atm the way things are you can't know the team will come out and really give it a go or actually not drop in to looking clueless not knowing what yo do.... this should have been all sorted by October not still being an issue..... 

So underwhelmed more as season gone on and having seen most of the teams in this league now....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My main point of concern is we always seem to mess up when faced with the opportunity to break into the top six.

Where I’m super happy with is that we’re at least not letting in goals at the last minute anywhere near as much as we used to.

As a whole, I'm pretty upbeat. Of course I know there are issues, but we've won more than we've lost this season and the club is starting to gain some momentum in the right direction.

it's not been the season I hoped for, or the transformation I perhaps naively expected, but it's nice to go into games with a reasonable expectation of winning, that's not been the case for a few seasons. 

It’s been a while. I’d love to know where your Whelm levels have been and where they are now. There have been some key moments:

- top of the league

- dropped in to play offs

= lost first leg 4-0

- won the second leg and got through

- won at Wembley 

- Moore leaves

I was at 8/10 on the Whelmometer when we won at Wembley. Not a 10 as we missed autos and played badly.

Moore leaves. Feels like a shambles. Whelm 4/10

- top of the league (9/10)

- wheels came off (3/10)

- did OK in last few games (6/10)

- hammered by Posh (1/10)

- hammered Posh (10/10)

- remembered we'd not been promoted just yet (7/10)

- won at Wembley (8/10)

- no manager or new signings yet (6/10 and dropping by about 0.5 with each week that passes)

It took a knock, but theres no point letting it define the season.

The players that are left are all good enough for this league, if we get the promised signings and loans and a "good" manager in soon theres no reason we cant kick on now.

We had our few days of sulking now lets get this manager situation out of the way and crack on.

We have had managers leave before, we will have them leave again, we are just not used to it being for any reason other than poor results, so we are unsure how to handle it.

It will be ok!

11 minutes ago, George Whitebread said:

- top of the league (9/10)

- wheels came off (3/10)

- did OK in last few games (6/10)

- hammered by Posh (1/10)

- hammered Posh (10/10)

- remembered we'd not been promoted just yet (7/10)

- won at Wembley (8/10)

- no manager or new signings yet (6/10 and dropping by about 0.5 with each week that passes)

Announces Nathan Jones as new manager (-0.32/10)

Still pretty whelmed at around 7/10

Looking into the near future, had Moore didn't leave and we hit a patch akin to the end of last season the reaction may have been worse considering going up a League and having more at stake.

Some of the potential names that may take over is saving my whelmometer from dropping below 5

All over the shop the last couple of months 

Peterborough away 0/10

Peterborough home 10/10

Barnsley 122 mins 4/10

Barnsley 123 minutes 10/10

saw new home kit 7/10

Moore leaves 6/10

Fans forum 3/10

Saw new away kit 2/10

Carlos ruled out 1/10

Paul ince about to be named new manager 0/10

Edited by Django
  • Love 1

2/10

If no manager, no players  by the end of next week the season will be an effective write off.  We've done this before and tried to play catch up, it doesn't work, the result was L1. 

Still time though to get back on track. 

5/10.

Not changed much with Moore leaving. Before he left my question was whether Chansiri has any intention/ability to invest enough to keep us out of a relegation fight. I was agnostic then, and remain agnostic.

I share the hypothesis, without any evidence,  that Moore's departure came about when he learned that Chansiri wont be supporting whoever is manager very much.  This is a testable hypothesis, soon to be confirmed or disconfirmed when we see who is appointed his replacement and who the first couple of summer signings are for the playing staff.

Until that time, standing on 5 seems a safe bet, whilst being prepared to toggle up or down quickly.

Dig a hole, a deep hole. Call that deep? I can still see the sky, keep digging. It seems to be getting warm in here, have a drink and keep digging. That's us past the deepest gold mine,  keep digging. Past the deepest oil well, keep digging.

Right keep going until you get to twice this depth and you might find my whelm.