Forestieri

Scram is right, unfortunately. 

If for some reason FF decides he wants out, then there's absolutely no chance we'd just keep him "rotting in the reserves". 

You'd have to cash in, no matter how galling it would be. 

1 minute ago, scram said:

Technically that is correct

On a practical level it doesn't work because it causes squad disharmony, costs the cub millions and often sees results suffer

I can't think of one case where a coveted player was made to "rot in the reserves" until the end of his contract

It might not be a great situation for a club when a player virtually downs tools - but they gain nothing by playing hardball - which is why they usually settle for the best they can get in that situation

who said he'd rot in the reserves ....if the bloke got anything about him he'd knuckle down and get the goals to get us up and then the worlds his oyster .the club wouldnt sell hirst to man utd i dont recall him getting a sulk on .

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

who said he'd rot in the reserves ....if the bloke got anything about him he'd knuckle down and get the goals to get us up and then the worlds his oyster .the club wouldnt sell hirst to man utd i dont recall him getting a sulk on .

People were talking about a player refusing to play - or not put in a shift etc. In which case they would have to be dropped

I don't think you've any idea just how much the players hold the cards these days - the more coveted the player the more power they hold

If their problems can be solved they get solved. If they genuinely want out - they get out.

FF on Sunday didn't look like he downed tools to be fair. He ran his nuts off. Too much has been made of his celebration or lack of it after scoring. 

My honest opinion, based solely on my gut, and not from any other source is that other clubs can want all they want, but FF is going nowhere. 

CC said so, and with the way he operates with the media, I fully believe him. New contracts for Lees and Lee maybe have fueled this story more than needed.

Guest mrbluesky

Players contracts are honoured as much as managers are, people keep saying it`s not `player power` of course it`s player power 100%, how many players do you know that have shown loyalty when a club comes in (usually a higher league) or for more money stay at that the club they are contracted to? not many, in a utopia world  FF would say publicly "I am signed to this club and have no interest in going to any other club", when in reality the player stays stumm until either his club stump up the money for a wage rise or he`s sold.

Personally there is smoke with fire as there isn`t a great deal coming out of the club,CC is interviewed by inept people that ask "are you going to sell FF?" Jesus even if talks were going on with other clubs you would get the same answer! what should have been asked " when  was the last time you spoke to FF Carlos? and has he reafirmed his commitment to the club" he obviously won`t give you a straight answer but what he does reply with would give you an indication of how things are.

FWIW,,,I think it will pan out something like this,Derby make an enquiry through being alerted by a third party that FF isn`t happy with his present deal,obviously we don`t want to lose FF so SWFC approach the player and his agent to try and nip it in the bud by declaring "we will renegotiate your contract" meanwhile other clubs have been alerted to his supposed "availability" now we have a couple more clubs involed but we also have a bottom half PL team now showning an interest...to be continued...

For once it's nice to have players other clubs covet we have had rumours regarding Westwood lees Lee bannan and now forestieri and it's no surprise as they are top players yes it's annoying but its preferable to having players no one wants 

I'm sure if Fernando did go it would be for top money with a replacement lined up chansiri is no fool and won't get mugged but I don't think he will go

3 hours ago, scram said:

FF has every right to think he is one of the most pivotal players in the team

When he signed he probably agreed a deal that fit within the clubs existing wage structure - if the club subsequently move that pay structure onto a different level with new and existing players signing new contracts - then that sets a marker for other high profile players within the new structure

If it is true that Lees has signed a new £25k pw deal - and if that is significantly more than was being agreed with players a year ago then it is bound to cause unrest

Football squads are delicate ecosystems and easily unbalanced - trying to play hardball with your star player usually only ends in one result

I don't know the ins and outs of what is going on (if anything) but by any measure FF should be right up there with the highest earners in the team

Absolutely correct. This is Forestieri and/or his agent seeing other players come in on higher wages and other current players getting increases. Fernando knows he's our talisman and is understandably after a wage to reflect that.

Edited by Chris E

Pearson knows full well that Wednesday would not want to sell to Derby, or to any other rival Championship club for that matter. And it's highly unlikely that Derby would be able to pay what Wednesday would ask for FF, because the only clubs in this league who could are the parachute clubs. But from Pearson's point of view it doesn't matter if Derby get him, because bidding for him is still in the Rams' interest. I think he's trying to unsettle FF in the hope that we'll lose him to somebody else. That's genuinely what I think now, and it's an extremely cynical tactic. If we were to lose FF it would effectively knock us out of the promotion race without Derby having to spend a penny.

Guest BRADFIELDOWLS

For Pearson, it's a no brainer.

If he gets the player fine, if not he's unsettled a rival club and forced them into increasing their salary costs to satisfy FF..

Or, alerted market so Premiership crappier teams may come in, again which may lose us a top player.

That's life at a successful club and we tried it with Alan Judge so don't get too worked up. 

We just have to pay up and that's not that hard when it's valuable footballers at right age who are increasing in value and our income's going up, helping with FFP.

That said, FF's not that great or Watford wouldn't sell and Premiership teams would be in for him.

He  didn't influence Wembley too much, unlike Diame (who, by the way, only left Hull for a Championship club for higher wages - they are all at it, as would most of us be, given the chance).  

7 hours ago, scram said:

People were talking about a player refusing to play - or not put in a shift etc. In which case they would have to be dropped

I don't think you've any idea just how much the players hold the cards these days - the more coveted the player the more power they hold

If their problems can be solved they get solved. If they genuinely want out - they get out.

how the feck can he refuse to play he wouldnt get paid for a start .i cant see him sitting on his arse for the next 3 years earning bugger all .......i'd like to think he'd be professional and give his best if not the owner then his team mates and fans ,he cant be that thick not realise that if he gives his best then his wages would increase 2 maybe 3 fold if he helps the club up  .......the players only hold the cards because the owners are weak and its about time some owners stood up to them ,i'm not gullible enough to believe that chansiri would but that doesnt alter the fact that he should ......

5 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

If we were to lose FF it would effectively knock us out of the promotion race without Derby having to spend a penny.

Not just you saying this, and its nonesense.

He is brilliant. But we have other brilliant players, and losing him would not change us overnight from top two to 7th or worse.

I seem to recall we got to two cup finals and went on a reciculous undefeated run without Hirst. 

We have Westwood, Lees, Abdi (better than FF acording to Watford fans), Lee, Bannan, Hooper and Fletcher. And of course upwards of 10mil to buy one or two others.

No-one, in any walk of life, is irreplaceable.

I don't think you can say the players hold all the cards any longer, there have been some great examples of transfer requests denied recently and clubs selling way above market value for players they didn't want to sell. 

Look at everton and the business they've done over last 2-3 seasons or Southampton. Admittedly if you recruit poorly and the players performance drops it's likely due to his character and there will be examples of that. But if you look at Shaw, Stones, Sneiderlin etc they all had bids rejected before moving on for huge fees. 

9 hours ago, Sean Watson said:

Why did he not celebrate his goal in his usual fashion Sunday ? Worrying didn't realise at the time but maybe ........

Gave a + in error due to fat fingers instead of pressing 'quote'. Wanted to say that CC wasn't reserved in his celebration - just for balance. I'm just going to stick my head in the sand now and hope for the best. Nowt we can do.

Since he joined we've signed players, including his mate from Warford probably on higher wages, also extended contracts of most if not all the other 'main' first 11.

IMHO this is agent tactics, expect him to sign a new contract shortly. Nothing to see here.