Forestieri

What I find hard to understand is why he trained all week.he worked with coaches on the shape of the team and set plays for hours then immediately after the last session he refused to travel. This must have an effect on the players and probably jauo who stepped in why train and waste everyones time to just pull out totally disrespectful to everyone at the club

2 minutes ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

I've missed the whole. Thing - is FF doing this for a new contract with us? Or wants a move 

Are you kidding?! lol

Unknown at the moment, although it seems from what Carlos has said that he's been tapped up by other clubs and now wants out because they can offer more money than us.

I suppose this business takes us neatly full circle. We had reams of posts about Rhodes and McCormack, when it was clear that we'd never be able to accommodate them. FF is now in the same bracket. Wednesday have given improved deals to other players simply because they can. The problem is that they can't to FF, well not legally anyway. If Chansiri were as rich as Croesus he's shackled in what he can spend. So it amounts to this. Either FF stays at the club, plays and gets paid less than he's currently worth. Otherwise we have this impasse. Actually, I don't think he has (or had) any burning desire to leave, I just think he wants (or wanted) a suitable pay rise. The problem is that we're not allowed to give him one.

3 minutes ago, TheGodfather said:

Think it's a bit naive to say 'give in to FF this time and the rest will know we're an easy ride and try the same'. 

This stuff from FF is football agent 101, which is what makes the whole thing even more frustrating. The fact is, regardless of club, manager or chairman...if a player really wants out, and they're not fussed about having an entire fanbase feel let down and turn against them, then they hold all the cards. He's doing nothing that we haven't seen time and time again from players trying to engineer a move.

I don't think there's a lot of doubt that it's his representatives that are trying to engineer this, and sadly FF hasn't been big enough to tell them where to stick their advice. We can point the finger at the pondlife that are football agents, but it takes a player to listen to them for this sort of thing to play out. He's let a lot of people down, not his agent.

If he's called our bluff to get a new deal, he needs to backtrack quickly while he still has a chance to rescue this. If he genuinely has his heart set on moving elsewhere, then we're better off moving him on...but only if someone ponies up the sort of money an in-contract, in-form player like FF demands these days. So, somewhere in the £12-15mil range. 

Couple of points.

Not sure why it's naive to think if we capitulate this time, agents wouldn't line up other targets, as against us holding firm & proving they would be wasting their time trying to tap other players.

Also not sure why players 'hold all the cards'. They certainly do if a chairman is desperate for the money and has no backbone, but in DC's case neither is true. I would suggest that as DC has FF on a 4 year contract (3 years left) and is out to make a point regardless that he could potentially have the equivalent of 12 mill sat on the bench, so it is he that holds all the cards in this particular situation.

8 minutes ago, TheGodfather said:

Think it's a bit naive to say 'give in to FF this time and the rest will know we're an easy ride and try the same'. 

This stuff from FF is football agent 101, which is what makes the whole thing even more frustrating. The fact is, regardless of club, manager or chairman...if a player really wants out, and they're not fussed about having an entire fanbase feel let down and turn against them, then they hold all the cards. He's doing nothing that we haven't seen time and time again from players trying to engineer a move.

I don't think there's a lot of doubt that it's his representatives that are trying to engineer this, and sadly FF hasn't been big enough to tell them where to stick their advice. We can point the finger at the pondlife that are football agents, but it takes a player to listen to them for this sort of thing to play out. He's let a lot of people down, not his agent.

If he's called our bluff to get a new deal, he needs to backtrack quickly while he still has a chance to rescue this. If he genuinely has his heart set on moving elsewhere, then we're better off moving him on...but only if someone ponies up the sort of money an in-contract, in-form player like FF demands these days. So, somewhere in the £12-15mil range. 

It would be naive "not to think that" you should have said, it's the way of the world

4 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Are you kidding?! lol

Unknown at the moment, although it seems from what Carlos has said that he's been tapped up by other clubs and now wants out because they can offer more money than us.

Oh right thanks! Just seen nixons post saying a rise but wrong way to do it which maybe suggests he's doing it for a new deal 

1 minute ago, S_W_F_C said:

Under no circumstances should we give him a new deal. Absolutely not

Agreed

If he drops it and he performs well, perhaps give him one later in the year. But that'll be a mixture of it being on merit and to bring him up to closer what other top players are earning. 

Giving him one within the next month or so sets a disgusting precedent. If we do, he wins. 

Just now, bigthinrob said:

Couple of points.

Not sure why it's naive to think if we capitulate this time, agents wouldn't line up other targets, as against us holding firm & proving they would be wasting their time trying to tap other players.

Also not sure why players 'hold all the cards'. They certainly do if a chairman is desperate for the money and has no backbone, but in DC's case neither is true. I would suggest that as DC has FF on a 4 year contract (3 years left) and is out to make a point regardless that he could potentially have the equivalent of 12 mill sat on the bench, so it is he that holds all the cards in this particular situation.

I'm saying it's naive in the sense that this stuff happens all the time right across football. 

FF isn't doing anything new that we've not already seen time and time again, and it almost ends one way (which kind of answers your second question)...and that isn't with the player sat in the reserves seeing out their contract wishing they could turn back the clock.

So, I just think to say that one player manoeuvring a move away from us will suddenly open the floodgates is a bit...OTT. As a club, we're not different to any other in the country...and that won't change if FF ends up leaving.

5 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Agreed

If he drops it and he performs well, perhaps give him one later in the year. But that'll be a mixture of it being on merit and to bring him up to closer what other top players are earning. 

Giving him one within the next month or so sets a disgusting precedent. If we do, he wins. 

What if he doesn't perform well, but still performs better than any players earning more?..

3 minutes ago, slinger208b said:

What if he doesn't perform well, but still performs better than any players earning more?..

I'm not sure, give me a few minutes to think of an answer to that scenario, as well as the one where he gets abducted by aliens and given superpowers, and I'll be right back with you

This tweet has just been published on Twitter, will believe it when the club announce it officially mind. Breaking: Fernando Forestieri has agreed to a new five year contract in principle with Sheffield Wednesday. Source on Twitter, @transfers XI

Read more at: http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-keiren-westwood-tribute-to-owls-coach-andy-rhodes-1-8068465

1 minute ago, blueowl1946 said:

This tweet has just been published on Twitter, will believe it when the club announce it officially mind. Breaking: Fernando Forestieri has agreed to a new five year contract in principle with Sheffield Wednesday. Source on Twitter, @transfers XI

IT'S CHUFFING S6 CHUFFING TRANSFERS IT'S AS RELIABLE AS A MONKEY TYPING SHAKESPEARE 

Sorry, something came over me there... 

I don't who is paid what.

I don't care who has a new contract.

I don't care which club has expressed an interest in which player.

I do care if one of our own refuses to pull on a shirt for a massive game.

Not acceptable. Bang out of order. He's done with our club for me. You do that, even just once, and you are tainted. Damaged goods.

Sell on our terms for a stupid inflated fee or let him rot in the reserves

We are bigger than him. Simple as.