Membership £50

10 hours ago, acquiescefc said:

No... its taking a nice benefit and inflating it massively for those of us who can make 5 to 10 games thus barely 'breaking even' on it.

Yes 10 quid at Villa but how many of those will there be and I can't make it.

We'll scrap it then cos you can't go. 

Sorry your highness. 

Been dreading the ticket prices threads... Side note, weird how these ones haven't been locked for being mega / too big/ too slow like transfer ones. 

Back to to the transfer ones, every time I read comments like "why worry about ffp", "it's not your money, why do you care" etc I can't help but think it's short sighted. If we are spending more with no increased revenue (no promotion) then we have to recoup that cost. Can't see how we can increase one without the other, and in that regard I'm glad we haven't brought in the 12-15m 30 year olds as if imagine that be another 5 quid on membership or every potg entry. 

As our base and attendances get bigger, I feel for those that have always been that base, the hardcore supporters that have stuck through the trash. I do wonder though at what price they'd have traded up for. What's the value of a better product, of excitement, of winning or getting promoted?

also can we not have a loyalty scheme where tenured fans are rewarded? 

MrsAussie put it to me like this yesterday... 

That £50 will be what you use to guarantee tickets to important games that you want to go to, as well as giving you a bit of money off. Why worry about breaking even if you get to see them against a decent team in the cup and you get a bit of money off regular ticket prices. Just make sure you spend your f00king discount in the club shop this time, you prat. 

6 hours ago, themaskedowl said:

I'll be getting one again but, the sole reason I buy a membership is to support the club in some small way. A season ticket isn't an option for me as I live on the other side of the world and the chances of me getting to a game in the foreseeable future are slim and none. I would love to be able to purchase a season ticket to help even more (then donate it to a worthy recipient who can make it to games) but, at the moment I can't justify that expense when I won't be going. However, I make no judgement on anyone that cannot afford the price increase and I can easily understand that the rise from 30 pounds to 50 pounds could mean the difference for some. Seems that there is a distinct lack of empathy from some quarters, are we not all owls? Consider walking a mile in another pair of shoes before shooting off one's mouth. Might be better to remain silent.

What a great post & a great idea, I hadn't thought of buying a membership before but I will now, I do occasionally buy things online from the shop, pretty fast getting here too, only six days to get a shirt with a name & number on the back.

Let's be right - the 'benefits' aside from ticket priority (which may not amount to much- largely useless for away games as we have 20000 season ticket holders, so unless it's Wembley again...)don't amount to much - effectively the £50 is to gain the POTG discount for most.

In other words, it's £50 on top of extortionate prices- so you have to gain £50 in discount before you're JUST paying extortionate prices.

£10 of ALL games (aside from category C) and I'm fully on board with it- but this mysterious discount off selected games (whatever that may mean) is a turn off. I'm sure the pricing categories offer enough flexibility to make this possible without undercutting season ticket holders, and it would simplify things somewhat.

Not holding my breath though.

Edited by RUMBELOWS91

If you have a membership card or whatever format it comes in, how do you use it, I guess you have to present something when you buy a matchday ticket but how do they know it's your membership, I guess what I'm getting at is can you share a membership around between mates?

4 hours ago, kingsidney said:

We'll scrap it then cos you can't go. 

Sorry your highness. 

My point being its gone up 66% with the headlines 'get £10 off at Villa and others'  How many others will have £10 off because I doubt theres many.

Therefore the huge increase is not very justifiable.  The general reaction in this thread is negative.

People thinking they are buying on the promise of Wembley tickets priority is a joke.

How many times were priority points needed between 2005 and 2016.

FWIW, my situation.

I moved to London 7 Years ago (apologies Rimmer, the job I do happens to be based here). I get to 3/4 home games a season and pretty much every away south of Birmingham. I've had 2 memberships every season since because I knew I'd need priority for away and my dad likes to come along now and again. This year I was going to make it 3, because my girlfriend has enjoyed coming along to a few and wasn't too impressed she missed out on Wembley. 

So for me that's gone from £90 to £150. for a few quid off home matches (it won't be the tenner ones, the games I go to tend to just when I happen to be up). And pretty much just to become 20,001 in the queue for the away tickets (worth remembering, those are full price). Ill end up buying them, the risk of missing out is too high. But if we don't happen to get to Wembley again then its not worth the price increase. We also used to get a highlights DVD included our £30!

I thought the priority schedule for Wembley was a great advert for membership, so that even if you can't make 9/10 games and so don't 'break even' in the savings on match tickets the little extra does you favours in getting away/Wembley tickets ahead of general sale. Given there is a fair chance we might be involved in the play-offs again this season I think it's still value for money tbf.

13 hours ago, BD2OWL said:

You talk about putting some money into the club, and then moan that you won't make your money back lol

Memberships/Season Tickets aren't really a sound investment if you're looking to make money back. 

What they are is you saying here you go Mr Chansiri here is a bit if cash, it's absolute peanuts to the millions I expect you to pay out for the player we want but hey ho. 

It's the equivalent of £2.25 a month over the season. It's roger all. 

You save a tenner first game if the season, 1 more game saving a tenner you'll be breaking even. 

Please quote me where I moan that I won't get it back.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, qantas said:

If you have a membership card or whatever format it comes in, how do you use it, I guess you have to present something when you buy a matchday ticket but how do they know it's your membership, I guess what I'm getting at is can you share a membership around between mates?

you phone or e-mail to book the game you want to watch quoting your client ID  and they load it on to your card which you present at the turnstile .....and yes anyone can use it just dont tell the club .

28 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Please quote me where I moan that I won't get it back.

Thanks.

"

This. I can make 6 games a season and was going to buy the membership this season to 1) guarantee a potential Wembley ticket if I decide to go and 2) out some money into the Club.

I wouldn't make the £30 back, let alone £50."

I wouldn't make that back lol

its really laughable that you are looking at football as an investment.... like really flipping laughable.

23 minutes ago, BD2OWL said:

"

This. I can make 6 games a season and was going to buy the membership this season to 1) guarantee a potential Wembley ticket if I decide to go and 2) out some money into the Club.

its really laughable that you are looking at football as an investment.... like really flipping laughable.

That's not moaning, it's called a statement to the folk who talk about 'gerrin' yer money back after so many games, innit'.

I've stated a million times I wouldn't get my money back buying a membership at £30, but I would have still been buying one to support the Club. Now they're trying to take the p*ss, I just won't be buying one. Simple.

Investment? It's more a donation to support the Club now I can't attend as often as I once could.

But you'd be trying to justify £1,000 memberships, so my breath is wasted on the richest man in Bradford.

51 minutes ago, BD2OWL said:

"

Of course that's how people look at it, the same as season tickets, if you go to every game then you get a season ticket as you save money. 

For various reasons people cannot get to every game (myself included). That's not a moan, it's just the way it is and I accept that. I was going to get membership this year as I have done in previous years. £50 is a fair chunk of cash and i'm not sure it would be worthwhile anymore. But that's my decision, and if it means I don't get a Wembley ticket for May 2017, then that's my problem. 

I think the issue is that prices just keep going up and up. It's ok when you can afford to pay it, but when you can't...

Anyone that thinks £50 is sensible needs to get their back to basics thinking cap on and have a re-think.

This policy could be called cutting off the supply.

It's fundamentally flawed.

1. The Membership holders form the pool of fans who are most likely to be future ST holders.

2. Non members (who have disposable income, live local enough, attend the odd game etc etc) are the next potential members.

3. Friends and family of any of the above (who have disposable income, live local enough, have an interest in football) are the next potential fans.

£50 membership encourages fans who were 1 last season and can't get a season ticket, to go the other way to 2.

£50 membership encourages fans who were 2 last season, to stay being 2 this season.

We already have huge numbers in group 2. Getting people to be group 1 is the hard part. Charging £50 just makes it harder.

Applauding the (relative) success of converting existing members to ST holders is fine.

But failing to see if there isn't a supply of people going from 3->2->1->ST holder that this model is unsustainable is short sighted.

The only way this can work in terms of numbers, is with a 4th group.

4. Rich people who don't have any interest in Sheffield Wednesday but would attend to watch the famous "stars" earning £500,000 a week, who would be wearing the shirts of our opponents if we were to get promoted, at some daft time on a Sunday or Monday for a fixture that should be 3pm Saturday.

So, looks like we are building a business model that relies on being promoted, and then relies on not being relegated.

That's never gone wrong before has it?

I think another angle they're looking at is our Wembley ticket allocation. We sold out with plenty more wanting to come. ST sales are now up to the 20k mark which is a significant amount more than usual. If they keep prices for membership low then they will sell a lot more membership cards which is good for the club (and fans), but when it comes to restricted ticket sales then membership card people might miss out due to demand, which is one of the key selling points of the cards with the priority on tickets above others. Put the price up, and the more committed fans will buy them because it will be worthwhile, giving them priority other the others, which is fair IMO.

Having said that, I do feel £50 is steep, but it depends on how many offers they offer a double discount on. I'd probably say £40 would have been better. What you can definitively say is you can make your money back on the membership by going to a maximum of 8 games, which is only 35% of the league games. Factor in the cup matches and that % will only decrease, and that's without any other double discount offers on. That is not a big committed for fans IMO, fairly reasonable. If you can't make that many games then I can see why you'd be annoyed, however, maybe that's where the club should be looking at a bundle ticket offer in blocks of 3 and 5 tickets for fans in that situation

Doom and gloom people saying it's not worth it...I take it you didn't enjoy our season last season? If you did, then that is where your value is coming from. Our best season in 16 years, not sold any big players (yet), and hopefully more quality to come in.