Membership £50

2 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Very sensible and makes perfect sense IF that is why the Club have increased the membership so much. It very much feels like the Club is exploiting the potential Wembley priority that Wembley bought last season to make what is surely peanuts to them, yet a decent sized barrier to plenty of fans though.

Sadly, it will still mean Hillsborough isn't as full as it should be.

Also noticed in the article that the Club is capping season ticket sales next season - that will be an interesting move!

Membership doesn't guarantee a ticket for Wembley, it just guarantee's priority in front of all non-members...

If we had kept memberships at £30, or hell, made them £20, and sold a shed load, then that's a shed load of people with an incentive to try and get to as many games as possible, and a shed load who might be then tempted to commit to a ST, and generally just more fans in the ground, and actually more revenue for the club.

Then if, and that's a pretty big if, we end up at Wembley, then TPP's could be used to split up different priority periods within the membership - that's actually a further incentive for members to actually go to MORE games, and in total spend MORE money than just the £50...

As for a ST cap - that only works if there's enough demand to reach the cap... where is that demand coming from seeing as everyone at the games already is a ST holder...

1 minute ago, kristmace said:

The bottom line is that the increase makes it only worthwhile if you plan on attending 10+ games rather than 6+ games. That puts more people like me who live away from Sheffield into the walk up prices. 

I've been a big defender of the ticket prices as an investment has been made and needs to be recouped somehow, and membership last season made sense for a lot of non-season ticket holders. That's changed now. 

I would definitely have bought membership again for £30, but they can forget it at £50. If we are lucky enough (or unlucky depending on perspective) to make it to Wembley again this season, I'll have to rely on my purchase history rather than membership. Having attended 7 home games and 3 away games last season, hopefully, that will be enough. 

It's only last year where 6 matches would have made you break even. Before last season it was 10 matches. A £20 membership giving you £2 off.

Just looking good around other clubs in the championship to see what they offer and our scheme is nothe the worst. Newcastle offer 5% only off a ticket. Norwich and qpr only a couple of quid. I think it was Birmingham that only offer 10% off which would be £4.90 for the villa match I  the south if that was applied to us.

Sickeningly we are on a par with Leeds. Luckily only in the membership tho. 40 quid. 5 pound off.

I think the club has misread the uptake in memberships towards the end of last year but I still don't think it's that bad. I'll be getting one

4 minutes ago, nebneeb said:

Membership doesn't guarantee a ticket for Wembley, it just guarantee's priority in front of all non-members...

If we had kept memberships at £30, or hell, made them £20, and sold a shed load, then that's a shed load of people with an incentive to try and get to as many games as possible, and a shed load who might be then tempted to commit to a ST, and generally just more fans in the ground, and actually more revenue for the club.

Then if, and that's a pretty big if, we end up at Wembley, then TPP's could be used to split up different priority periods within the membership - that's actually a further incentive for members to actually go to MORE games, and in total spend MORE money than just the £50...

As for a ST cap - that only works if there's enough demand to reach the cap... where is that demand coming from seeing as everyone at the games already is a ST holder...

It did last season. The Ticket Office even posted on their Twitter feed that the priority was such that all Season Ticket and Membership holders were guaranteed a ticket. I guess the more STH and Memberships we get, the likelihood is not all STH and Memberships will be guaranteed a ticket going forward.

Your solution would work well, but then the Club couldn't bank £50/membership. But, I feel you're thinking long term and the Club is thinking short term, which is odd for an organisation that has been around for nearly 150 years and will hopefully be here for at least another 150!

1 minute ago, RockieOwl said:

It's only last year where 6 matches would have made you break even. Before last season it was 10 matches. A £20 membership giving you £2 off.

Just looking good around other clubs in the championship to see what they offer and our scheme is nothe the worst. Newcastle offer 5% only off a ticket. Norwich and qpr only a couple of quid. I think it was Birmingham that only offer 10% off which would be £4.90 for the villa match I  the south if that was applied to us.

Sickeningly we are on a par with Leeds. Luckily only in the membership tho. 40 quid. 5 pound off.

I think the club has misread the uptake in memberships towards the end of last year but I still don't think it's that bad. I'll be getting one

I know the membership was much better last season than previously. I got a membership for the first time in about 8 years last season. 

My point was that when you consider the increased value of membership in conjunction with the higher match day prices, it made sense to me. The vast majority of our games last season were Cat D and Cat E. With £5 off too, that made the prices pretty decent value in my opinion. 

I'm very concerned that membership is now of less benefit as it's a much higher cost. I'm more concerned though with the fact that the first two games are Cat A and Cat B - a clear increase from last year. The club boasted that matchday prices had been frozen, but if the average category used goes up, it'll be much more expensive for the walk up crowd - a group I'm now part of having been priced out of membership. 

6 minutes ago, kristmace said:

I know the membership was much better last season than previously. I got a membership for the first time in about 8 years last season. 

My point was that when you consider the increased value of membership in conjunction with the higher match day prices, it made sense to me. The vast majority of our games last season were Cat D and Cat E. With £5 off too, that made the prices pretty decent value in my opinion. 

I'm very concerned that membership is now of less benefit as it's a much higher cost. I'm more concerned though with the fact that the first two games are Cat A and Cat B - a clear increase from last year. The club boasted that matchday prices had been frozen, but if the average category used goes up, it'll be much more expensive for the walk up crowd - a group I'm now part of having been priced out of membership. 

I'm much more concerned about the prices. I think after the first two games the cats will go to down again for two reasons.

One the games are no way as appealing on paper.

Two the potg will be lower than the club expected. It'll be exactly the same as last season except with more season ticket holders

Still think the membership scheme is fine as it is tho

Edited by RockieOwl

2 hours ago, Animis said:

Absolutely - they've already committed to the first game, which is either because it's the first game or a 'big' game with a high POTD cat price.

Nevertheless if members go to the Villa game, their membership cost has already reduced to £45 in real terms, and you only need a further three £10 discount games throughout the season to attend, to see no increase on your membership cost from last year.

its that easy mate ....i dont understand why they just dont say they'll be at least x number of 10 quid games and then everyone knows where they stand .you buy a season ticket you know exactly what you have paid for, why they treat members differently i know not .

2 hours ago, acquiescefc said:

Stop being a tool, no one begrudges the 100s of £s people spend on this football club.

Its not about getting something back.

Simple Maths. 

ST = 23 games + best benefits.

Membership = Nothing + reduction on Gate prices + benefits above walk up fans but below ST.

Members now have to decide if £50 down is worth it compared to being a walk up fan as they please.

At £20 and £30 it was a no brainer, £50 is an outrageous increase unless the benefit for this outlay has comparable increase.

Lets not forget we are in the same position as Newcastle United and Burton Albion. Last year was amazing and a lot of fun but that doesnt guarantee 2016/17 will be same.  Have you forgot the last 10 years achievements.

Nebneeb hit the nail on the head. 

No I have not forgot the last 10 season, I was a ST holder for every single one of them.

But I also know that the club stood still for many years (even went backwards) by keeping prices (across the board) low.

So they have put the price of my season ticket up, they have put the price of shirts up, and poor you they have put the price of a membership up.

I guess it all depends on where you want the club to go, unfortunately its a business and I am sure it will get to where people want it to go with or without the likes of you and me.

Tool lol

Gotta love a keyboard warrior.

Edited by BD2OWL

Loads of us were getting memberships and looking forward to going to Villa game

now we're not bothering with memberships and watching villa game in the pub instead

going to Brentford away though and I'll get to a couple of £20 midweek games if there are any

it'll be mostly away days for me going forward

such a shame after the good vibe of last season.

8 minutes ago, torryowl said:

its that easy mate ....i dont understand why they just dont say they'll be at least x number of 10 quid games and then everyone knows where they stand .you buy a season ticket you know exactly what you have paid for, why they treat members differently i know not .

It's pretty obvious...they don't know how many there will be. Also, if they announced how many there will be over the season, it is likely that the membership fans will only go to those games as they'll get the biggest reduction, thus dropping attendances for other normal discount games.

They're trying to encourage fans to attend more, and to do that is by attending more games to make sure you've got back the membership cost. What you say does the opposite

1 minute ago, smhouston said:

It's pretty obvious...they don't know how many there will be. Also, if they announced how many there will be over the season, it is likely that the membership fans will only go to those games as they'll get the biggest reduction, thus dropping attendances for other normal discount games.

They're trying to encourage fans to attend more, and to do that is by attending more games to make sure you've got back the membership cost. What you say does the opposite

thats rubbish ....would you buy a product thats gone up 66% without wanting to know what benefit you get from the price rise .....

25 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

It did last season. The Ticket Office even posted on their Twitter feed that the priority was such that all Season Ticket and Membership holders were guaranteed a ticket. I guess the more STH and Memberships we get, the likelihood is not all STH and Memberships will be guaranteed a ticket going forward.

Your solution would work well, but then the Club couldn't bank £50/membership. But, I feel you're thinking long term and the Club is thinking short term, which is odd for an organisation that has been around for nearly 150 years and will hopefully be here for at least another 150!

Only once we knew what the allocation was, and how many members we had.

It wasn't at the point of sale (apart from those who bought one after the season finished and after that announcement was made), just like it isn't this time...

Agree, very short term, and very high risk.

1 minute ago, nebneeb said:

Only once we knew what the allocation was, and how many members we had.

It wasn't at the point of sale (apart from those who bought one after the season finished and after that announcement was made), just like it isn't this time...

Agree, very short term, and very high risk.

All very true. I think the most concerning thing is that we're looking short-term - I hope it's because Mr Chansiri expects sell-outs every game in the Premier League regardless, and that Premier League football isn't that far away. Because as things stand, we may well end up with 20-odd thousand season ticket holders, but no casual fans turning up to keep attendances respectable in this division and at the POTG prices.

2 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

All very true. I think the most concerning thing is that we're looking short-term - I hope it's because Mr Chansiri expects sell-outs every game in the Premier League regardless, and that Premier League football isn't that far away. Because as things stand, we may well end up with 20-odd thousand season ticket holders, but no casual fans turning up to keep attendances respectable in this division and at the POTG prices.

It's just strange, cos building up the ST base is more of a long-term thing, which is something I agree with and to a degree defended the price increases last season.

Probably the answer here is that the club should have introduced a couple of levels of membership.

One that's a higher upfront cost, but then rewards anyone who gets to say 10 or more games with better value, and also an extra level of priority - basically you know you'll get a ticket for any big home game, or Wembley trips etc.

Then another that's a lower cost, say £20, that rewards anyone who can get to 4 or more games. Aim is to sell loads, but then the club can make it clear TPP's will be used for home games when necessary to get people turning up to the less interesting games as well...

We would sell out every game in the Premier League regardless, but I'd certainly be looking around wondering how many had come to see the Wednesday.

22 minutes ago, torryowl said:

thats rubbish ....would you buy a product thats gone up 66% without wanting to know what benefit you get from the price rise .....

If you could only make 6 games a season, and the club announce there will be 10 that are double discounted games, would you be more inclined to see those matches ahead of the normal discount matches?

If you say no then you're a liar :biggrin: People will always go for the better value games, and they'd be guaranteed so of course they would hold off

32 minutes ago, BD2OWL said:

No I have not forgot the last 10 season, I was a ST holder for every single one of them.

But I also know that the club stood still for many years (even went backwards) by keeping prices (across the board) low.

So they have put the price of my season ticket up, they have put the price of shirts up, and poor you they have put the price of a membership up.

I guess it all depends on where you want the club to go, unfortunately its a business and I am sure it will get to where people want it to go with or without the likes of you and me.

Tool lol

Gotta love a keyboard warrior.

Did you get your 'ive bought a ST more than you' badge yet?

Highlighted above your quote. 

If you dont understand why this was the case that prices were kept so low then you dont realise why we are still in business and (now) owned by a successful businessman instead of rotting in the 2nd Division.

I want the club to be successful.  I dont have any qualifications in business but my uneducated guess is that just one trip to Wembley means we are not quite at the printing money stage yet.

Keyboard warrior...thats a good one.  Dont see many agreeing with you.

19 minutes ago, acquiescefc said:

Did you get your 'ive bought a ST more than you' badge yet?

Highlighted above your quote. 

If you dont understand why this was the case that prices were kept so low then you dont realise why we are still in business and (now) owned by a successful businessman instead of rotting in the 2nd Division.

I want the club to be successful.  I dont have any qualifications in business but my uneducated guess is that just one trip to Wembley means we are not quite at the printing money stage yet.

Keyboard warrior...thats a good one.  Dont see many agreeing with you.

We're still in Business now because MM recognised a chance to make a quick buck. 

He kept the prices low and plugged the £5m a season we were losing from his own pocket. 

As a result we signed dross. 

I wonder how much of the gap DC is now plugging and yet "fans" still don't want to contribute to seeing a successful team of excellent (compared to what we have seen) players at Hillsborough week in and week out. 

As for people not agreeing with me, that's there look out. Either put up or shut up but stop flipping moaning. 

1 hour ago, smhouston said:

If you could only make 6 games a season, and the club announce there will be 10 that are double discounted games, would you be more inclined to see those matches ahead of the normal discount matches?

If you say no then you're a liar :biggrin: People will always go for the better value games, and they'd be guaranteed so of course they would hold off

i can only speak for myself and for the last 10 years i have only got to 3 maybe 4 games a season due to living abroad so no i wouldnt be swayed by picking my games just to save a fiver a game ...a lot of people take the membership option due to living away like i did or due to work commitments they cant always get to games  so have to go whenever they can so i dont think they'd be put off just to save a fiver .......ive answered your question truthfully but i noticed you didnt answer mine so i'll ask again would you pay 66% more for a product when you have  no idea what the seller is offering to justify the rise .

1 hour ago, BD2OWL said:

Well done. 

I'd say an extra 20 quid on a membership is the least of your worries then. 

Unless your just an attention seeking *****. 

Yeah exactly! And when they put it up £20 next year, so what it's only another £20! And the year after that - who cares? Only another £20! This attitude is my favourite attitude. Blind loyalty to the point of never questioning anything. You are the dream customer. Pay your money and shut up.